Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default why can't the US nominate a presidential candidate under 70?

I don't care your alignment, we keep putting very elderly people up for one of the most grueling tasks on Earth.

Where are our sub-70 leaders?

Astonishing Member

Obviously we can; Barack Obama was elected President at age 47, and Bill Clinton was elected at 46. George W. Bush was elected President at age 54.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The next young Democrat will likely be there in 2024 . Unless by some miracle Biden wins this one. Which will stun the **** outta me given the issues with him. But hey...Trump made it in 2016. Who knows....
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

It might just be a matter of luck, with four people in their 70s well-positioned to run for President in this cycle.

Donald Trump was an outsider to politics, which provided a contrast to Hillary Clinton as well as the usual bevy of Governors and Senators running for the Republican nomination in 2016. The Republican party has generally been favorable to outsiders (Herman Cain led the polls in 2012; Pat Buchanan got over a fifth of the vote in 1992 and 1996.) There is the question of why this happened with Trump, and not some other celebrity businessman like Mark Cuban. One potential factor is that Trump's age helps him understand older Republican voters, who are very active in primaries.

Joe Biden was a former Vice President. He was selected for that job twelve years ago because an inexperienced President wanted a seasoned running mate who would presumably lack the ambition to run in 2016. However, it is a matter of luck that there is this interest in Biden. He's seen as having an appeal to a geographic region and a class of voters that is essential to flip. He wasn't tainted by a loss in the 2016 primary because his son died. If Biden were from Nevada or Rhode Island, rather than born in Scranton, or if Trump had flipped western states rather than the rust belt, I don't think he would have had this level of support.

Bernie Sanders was last cycle's runner up, which is traditionally a credible way to build name recognition. He got elected to the Senate in his mid-60s, after a lengthy term in the House and two terms as mayor. There is an argument that older candidates can appeal to younger voters more than middle-aged candidates because younger people get along better with grandparents than with their parents, and the older candidates can avoid some of the cultural fights that have dominated recent politics. He also benefited from a weak field in 2016 as the people who were seen as obvious contenders down the line (Booker, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, Deval Patrick, etc.) didn't want to piss off Hillary Clinton.

Elizabeth Warren was elected to the Senate in her early 60s. There is a trend of women entering the workforce after raising children, which means it often takes longer to build up the prominence that men achieve faster.

Part of this is luck. Part of it is how long it takes to build certain levels of experience. Part of it is that people are healthier, so that they're able to consider running for statewide office in their 60s and President a decade later.

For these reasons, we're probably going to see periods with older candidates. But I'm sure we'll see younger candidates win, as well as the traditional middle-aged candidates, when voters want something different.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Retired

I'm really disappointed in Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders. Okay, they grew up thinking every white man can be president, but once they were over 70 they should have accepted it wouldn't be prudent to have a president at that age (given the greater chance of death) and instead they should have thrown their support to other younger people who could carry through their agenda. It just shows that their main drive is their own ego and not an interest in the welfare of the nation. We know that Donald Trump is only interested in himself--but we're supposed to think that Biden and Sanders are dedicated to the common good.

It reminds me of the 1980s in the USSR, how after the death of Brezhnev, Andropov and Chernenko followed. It was like these old party guys each needed to get their reward from the state. But they were too old and dropped like flies. Then finally the younger Gorbachev got in and tried to change things, but it was already too late, and even he was ousted in a coup before the USSR fell. Makes me think all these old white guys want their chance to sit in the Oval Office before the whole thing crumbles. The USA looks like it's on its last legs.

Hillary was 68 when she was nominated. Kerry was 61. When was the last time the Dems nominated someone over 70? So clearly this is just pertinent this year and not an issue in general.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This is my view and I could be wrong but this is just the way I see it.

In 2016 the Dems put all of their eggs in the Clinton basket. They saw her as the leader of the party and were looking for her to be a two termer. They didnt groom the next generation because they thought they had time. No one really saw a world where she would lose to Trump. I mean hell the party had her decorating the Oval Office (I exaggerate but not by much). When Clitnon lost the party was in a panic and because they banked so heavy on Clinton there was no ral leader. That is why there were over 20 people running. Biden if he wins is a one term president. He is a place holder. He is not the man to fix the party. Sanders is the messenger not the savior. The parrty needs to look long term and see who they can get to lead the party. Some one that people can get behind. Until that happens the Republicans are going o keep winning the White House. The Dems are lost right now and they need to look into themselves and see what they can do to fix and unite the party. Say all the bad things about Trump that you want and there are many he has united the party behind him.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This is my view and I could be wrong but this is just the way I see it.

In 2016 the Dems put all of their eggs in the Clinton basket. They saw her as the leader of the party and were looking for her to be a two termer. They didnt groom the next generation because they thought they had time. No one really saw a world where she would lose to Trump. I mean hell the party had her decorating the Oval Office (I exaggerate but not by much). When Clitnon lost the party was in a panic and because they banked so heavy on Clinton there was no ral leader. That is why there were over 20 people running. Biden if he wins is a one term president. He is a place holder. He is not the man to fix the party. Sanders is the messenger not the savior. The parrty needs to look long term and see who they can get to lead the party. Some one that people can get behind. Until that happens the Republicans are going o keep winning the White House. The Dems are lost right now and they need to look into themselves and see what they can do to fix and unite the party. Say all the bad things about Trump that you want and there are many he has united the party behind him.
    I think you may have a point there. We didn't see young Dems putting themselves forward until it became obvious how amok Trump was running. The old guard in each party does need to nurture its new breed and stand aside for them. I'm not sure if they will.

I did like Sanders. Other then his age I would not have a problem voting for him even though I dont agree with him on everything. He seems honest. He has his views and is well spoken about them. He was good about putting his message out there. He was never going to win but he took a big step at making people ready for his views. That is why I say he is the messenger not the savior. He will not attack you in a mean spirited way (unlike many of his supporters) if you disagree. He will debate you with passion he will try to change your mind but he will not stoop to a low level. At least from what I have seen. I think he is willing to work with Biden. But he needs to get his supporters behind Biden and look to groom the next generation to spread his message.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

This talk of "the Party picked", is nonsense. It was the Democratic rank and file who picked Biden and they did it because the single issue this year is beating Trump. And the voters feel he has the beat chance, period. Many are impressed by the younger candidate. Booker, Buttigeg, Harris....And AOC is a definite force in the Party. I have no fears about younger Dems. Let's help Biden beat Trump and then worry about the Party's future.
    Tell me, where are the young Republican politicians? Is Jared thee best they can do?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

You had to be at least 60 years old to serve in the Spartan council (or senate or whatever it was called).

Older people can get old, dead ideas stuck in their heads. And I understand that position. But there is wisdom that comes from age.

The President has to have periodic physicals. We can't just freak out because of age. Diabetics have an increased chance of early-onset dementia. Should we disqualify on that basis too?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This talk of "the Party picked", is nonsense. It was the Democratic rank and file who picked Biden and they did it because the single issue this year is beating Trump. And the voters feel he has the beat chance, period. Many are impressed by the younger candidate. Booker, Buttigeg, Harris....And AOC is a definite force in the Party. I have no fears about younger Dems. Let's help Biden beat Trump and then worry about the Party's future.
    Tell me, where are the young Republican politicians? Is Jared thee best they can do?
    I agree the Republicans have no young talent they are grooming. They need to find away to move past Trump and Mitch but sadly I have my doubts they ever will.

The Dems cant wait until Biden beats Trump (If if does) they need to be looking now to groom the younger talent. What if Biden loses? They have many options they can look at. Biden needs to pick a younger person for Vp choice. Someone that the party can get behind and someone that will have a good media presence. Picking Warren who is older herself may look good but it does not really help the future of the party.

I dont think the party picked Biden. I hate this establishment conspiracy that is going around. The people have spoken. Its time to move on from the bitterness and let the chips fall where they may. That is what has been bothering me about Sanders supporters. When Sanders does well and wins it is the choice of the people. When he loses it is because of some BS establishment conspiracy. That song gets old real fast.

An older person can do well as president. There is no doubting that. But when you party is scattered and you need a long term leader a 70 something person is not the best choice. Beating Trump is the top goal right now and a place holder president will be better then him, but the Dems missed a chance when Clinton lost to groom the next generation.
    Last edited by babyblob; 04-09-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Half seriously, I'm predicting this now.... The next GOP candidate will come from Fox News.

Extraordinary Member

Name recognition matters a lot in a 50 state primary contest and as an individual person it takes years to build that national profile. Trump spent years building a brand, Hillary spent a quarter century going from First Lady to Senator, to Secretary of State. Biden spent years in the Senate running and it was only when he became an elder statesman who was useful on a ticket with Obama that he got the recognition to have a successful primary run. It’s almost lightning in a bottle

After years of the Trump Chaos machine, coupled by one disaster after another, most voters don't want to take a chance with an unknown. Like KNIGHT said, name recognition does matter, and voters are comfortable with Biden. Even despite his age.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.