Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Obviously we can; Barack Obama was elected President at age 47, and Bill Clinton was elected at 46. George W. Bush was elected President at age 54.
    Yeah Clinton was the first name i thought about. I was like "eh, that dude sure wasn't 70 when he was playing with cigars".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This talk of "the Party picked", is nonsense. It was the Democratic rank and file who picked Biden and they did it because the single issue this year is beating Trump. And the voters feel he has the beat chance, period. Many are impressed by the younger candidate. Booker, Buttigeg, Harris....And AOC is a definite force in the Party. I have no fears about younger Dems. Let's help Biden beat Trump and then worry about the Party's future.
    Tell me, where are the young Republican politicians? Is Jared thee best they can do?
    1. The idea that "They can beat Trump" is the single most important consideration is a losing strategy for Dems. Yes, it will get them them the Dem votes but that's about it and that would be the case no matter who they nominate. To win over enough Independents and possible Republicans to actually win you have to have a better message than that. As far as I can see, the only other message from the Democratic party consists of raising taxes on everyone and everything, no borders,"free" everything and granting amnesty to illegal aliens.
    Just don't see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This talk of "the Party picked", is nonsense. It was the Democratic rank and file who picked Biden and they did it because the single issue this year is beating Trump. And the voters feel he has the beat chance, period. Many are impressed by the younger candidate. Booker, Buttigeg, Harris....And AOC is a definite force in the Party. I have no fears about younger Dems. Let's help Biden beat Trump and then worry about the Party's future.
    Tell me, where are the young Republican politicians? Is Jared thee best they can do?
    There are more Republican Governors and Senators under 50 than Democratic, so the Republican party does have a bench. It's not going to be people who typical Democratic voters like but that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This is my view and I could be wrong but this is just the way I see it.

In 2016 the Dems put all of their eggs in the Clinton basket. They saw her as the leader of the party and were looking for her to be a two termer. They didnt groom the next generation because they thought they had time. No one really saw a world where she would lose to Trump. I mean hell the party had her decorating the Oval Office (I exaggerate but not by much). When Clitnon lost the party was in a panic and because they banked so heavy on Clinton there was no ral leader. That is why there were over 20 people running. Biden if he wins is a one term president. He is a place holder. He is not the man to fix the party. Sanders is the messenger not the savior. The parrty needs to look long term and see who they can get to lead the party. Some one that people can get behind. Until that happens the Republicans are going o keep winning the White House. The Dems are lost right now and they need to look into themselves and see what they can do to fix and unite the party. Say all the bad things about Trump that you want and there are many he has united the party behind him.
    There was a major problem for Democrats that they discouraged anyone from running against Hillary Clinton in 2016, which meant that when Booker & Klobuchar decided to run for the 2020 nomination, they would be overshadowed by newer figures like Kamala Harris (elected to the Senate in 2016), Beto O'Rourke (came close for the Senate in 2018) and Pete Buttigieg (legally too young to be President in 2016.)

A complication is that Democrats had done poorly in statewide and congressional elections in 2010 and 2014, which meant the bench was much more limited.

There was an argument that Democrats really failed to prepare a next generation of leadership under the Obama administration, although that's complicated by all the former Obama staffers who just elected to Congress in 2018.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets