Astonishing Member

Default How would you reorganize Spider-Man's mythos?

A lot of why comic book mythos feels so disjointed is because everything's written by different authors. Inside their own run, it doesn't matter too much until another author tries to reintroduce certain plot points and storylines. Some writers do it better than others.

If you were a writer for Spider-Man, how would you group the mythos? Either by timeline, macguffin or nebulous organization.

Here are some of mine:

Spider-Man's First Year:
    Struggling scientist Otto Octavius finds the wreckage of an alien spaceship and gets into an accident trying to salvage it. Phineas Mason gets abducted by remnants of the aliens, the Iron Cross Army, that originally were on the plane.

Hydra and the Finisher:
    The Chameleon and Rhino are hired by a HYDRA faction to try to steal secrets from NASA Astronaut John J. Jameson, but naturally Spider-Man interfered. Chameleon calls his half-brother Kraven to deal with him.

The Lifeline Tablet:
    Kingpin fakes his death to incite a Gang War that would help wipe out his competitors. Silvermane believed that the technology from the Lemurian Tablet of Life and Time will help rejuvenate him to take power. He and his goons experiment on many illegal immigrants and homeless people including a certain Snakehead that tried to cheat them.
    When Silvermane succeeds in his quest for power, Spider-Man, the Prowler and Black Cat have to race to find the other six Tablets in order to be able to depower him.

Oscorp:
    Michael Morbius, a vampire looking for way to become human, joins Oscorp in order to research said cure. Norman Osborn was a renowned scientist and businessman and a closet occultist who loved to research magical artifacts, so he naturally was fascinated with Morbius' plight. Morbius and Osborn seemed to make a "cure", but Osborn had ulterior motives. He was essentially able to bottle the vampire curse and then began experimenting with it. The run-off ended up causing mutations to people like James Santini and Edward Whelan. Morbius wants to turn on his boss, but Osborn revealed that the cure they made was only temporary, and that if he wanted to stay human, he would have to keep working for him.

Spider-Slayers:
    John Jameson's contact with the alien material caused him to begin mutating into a wolfmonster which did a number to his psyche. He killed the mobsters that murdered his mother and then attacked his father due to pent up resentment. While Spider-Man was able to get him back to normal, the appearance that he assaulted John kicked Jonah's vendetta into overdrive.
    He funded projects with Spencer Smythe and Marla Madison to try and capture the menace. After the first Spider-Slayer failed to capture him, Jameson decided to make an anti-Spider-Man using Dr. Connors' Neogenic research. Dr. Farley Stillwell experimented on volunteer MacDonald Gargan to create the Scorpion.

So, is this how you would sort Peter Parker's backstory? Or would these be arcs for some kind of retelling?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spider-Man is a bit unusual in that there is a clear timeframe for his early adventures.

Amazing Spider-Man #1-28 basically occurred during his junior and senior years of high school.

Amazing Spider-Man #31-186 covered the four years he spent in college. We could probably figure at least an year between the night Gwen Stacy Died and the end of the original clone saga.

Amazing Spider-Man #187-243 cover the next year until he drops out of grad school.

It gets a little fuzzier from there, but a big chunk of the character's mythos is already organized for you.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So, is this how you would sort Peter Parker's backstory? Or would these be arcs for some kind of retelling?
    I was mostly thinking about his supporting cast, friends and villains. There's a lot of stuff that I was thinking about but I felt that the post was starting to get long.

I was thinking about sorting things into story arcs. That being said, don't assume that my post is in any strict order.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    If you were a writer for Spider-Man, how would you group the mythos?
    I wouldn't.

Been thinking a lot about this lately. After FFH cheapened, in my view, Mysterio by tying him so much to Iron Man, I think it's best for each villain to be as separate and apart and little connected to one another as possible.

Let stuff be as disorganized and messy it is in life. Because in real life stuff isn't always connected to each other. Random stuff happens all the time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I wouldn't.

Been thinking a lot about this lately. After FFH cheapened, in my view, Mysterio by tying him so much to Iron Man, I think it's best for each villain to be as separate and apart and little connected to one another as possible.

Let stuff be as disorganized and messy it is in life. Because in real life stuff isn't always connected to each other. Random stuff happens all the time.
    I believe that to a degree, and making everything connected to Iron Man was an obvious mistake, but story arcs also shouldn't feel as though they should go nowhere. Grouping them together a bit encourages writers to finish them.

If you are asking in hindsight what I would personally do with Peter/Spidey well I have some ideas that won't be liked.

I would created a Fab 4 in (Peter-MJ-Gwen-Harry) maybe an incident happens in freshman/sophomore year that brings them together.
    Peters Social circle would extend to include (Liz, Lilly, Carlie, Flash, Betty, Sha, Glory & Felica)
    The other members of the fab 4 know that he is Spidey
    Gwen and Peter get a internship at Stark Industries
    Peter is given free reign with his own lab - Gwen shares it
    Obviously no death for Gwen or Harry
    No GG for Harry
    Peter is made a trainee avenger and joins after College
    (*)Peter dates MJ and Gwen
    (*)Harry dates Lily and Liz
    (*)Flash dates Betty and Sha
    His other friends find out about Spidey
    Flash gets to be Agent Venom
    Flash doesn't lose his legs