Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Question What Were The Editorial Reasons For "No More Mutants"?

Hey all, so I've been thinking about the diminishing status of the X-Men during the Dark Ages and how M-Day took place before it.

When Marvel decided to pull back on the importance of the X-Men it was years after the MCU started and years after House of M; so why did Marvel editorial want to lessen the amount of mutants back then?

BANNED

Movie rights

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Movie rights
    But House of M was published in 2005 and the first MCU movie was released in 2008? Fox's X-men was in full swing and Bendis just revitalized the Avengers line.

Was the movie right squabbling being done before the MCU even started?

Morrison expanding the size of mutants and then leaving the line. That created an overreaction in reverse to his mutant expansion.

Bendis was brought in to super charge the Avengers and their two biggest characters Spiderman and Wolverine were made Avengers. Movie rights was more in the back of Marvel's mind at that point not the front given Marvel Studios was mostly a dream in 2004 when Decimation was thought up.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-08-2020 at 04:56 PM.

To piss me off.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Well this thread is gonna start a war...

BANNED

Joe Quesada wanted the X-Men reset back to where they were when he was a reader. Same thing he did to Spider-Man with OMD.

BANNED

Movie rights
    Movie franchises don't make those decisions that are much related to comics. These things always looked like a silly notion to me. It was Quesada.
    Last edited by Vishop; 04-08-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Seems to me at the time their were too many mutants but no real direction for the X-Books so they used the situation as a culling of people kind of like China and Corona.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Joe Quesada wanted the X-Men reset back to where they were when he was a reader. Same thing he did to Spider-Man with OMD.
    It seemed like good direction at its time after Morrison. Carey, Kyle/Yost, Brubaker etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Well this thread is gonna start a war...
    Definitely not my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Ah, so if that is the case why did they meddle with Morrison to point where he left? It seemed like Morrison had a huge masterplan (not unlike Hickman) and he couldn't finish it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Definitely not my intention.

Ah, so if that is the case why did they meddle with Morrison to point where he left? It seemed like Morrison had a huge masterplan (not unlike Hickman) and he couldn't finish it.
    I guess he had but it is overtly affecting too much to the status quo of main x-characters.
    Last edited by Vishop; 04-08-2020 at 05:14 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Movie franchises don't make those decisions that are much related to comics. These things always looked like a silly notion to me. It was Quesada.
    No more Mutants is arguable as House of M would have been going on only just as Marvel started planning their own movies. There's not really a question about the removing X-Men/ff from merch and games in later years though.

BANNED

House of M is arguable as it would have been going on only just as Marvel started planning their own movies. There's not really a question about the removing X-Men/ff from merch and games in later years though.
    Quesada already started uplifting Avengers before HOM. Ultimates, Ragnarok etc etc. I don't think movie rights have to do much with this, at least with X-Men. X-Men were downtrodden after 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Quesada already started uplifting Avengers before HOM. Ultimates, Ragnarok etc etc. I don't think movie rights have to do much with this, at least with X-Men. X-Men were downtrodden after 2009.
    I would agree with that. The first real sign was handing the end of the Vulcan storyline from the x-line to cosmic/Inhumans titles. I mean War of Kings was a great crossover. It just became obvious the X-Men were already starting to be pushed to the background by the end of the decade.