Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Quesada already started uplifting Avengers before HOM. Ultimates, Ragnarok etc etc. I don't think movie rights have to do much with this, at least with X-Men. X-Men were downtrodden after 2009.
    Yeah this is what I was thinking because the dates don't match up and Perlmutter didn't come into the picture until way after because Disney didn't buy Marvel until 2009.

So, movie rights were not the issue.

This is why I was wondering what was going on with the X-Men during House of M especially since it was a Avengers writer (Bendis) who was steering the X-Ship

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah this is what I was thinking because the dates don't match up and Perlmutter didn't come into the picture until way after because Disney didn't buy Marvel until 2009.

So, movie rights were not the issue.

This is why I was wondering what was going on with the X-Men during House of M especially since it was a Avengers writer (Bendis) who was steering the X-Ship
    Yeah, they were not. X-Men was doing fine at its time even if not financially but Avengers were bringing money from the other end.

The amount of mutants were getting out of hand and losing the whole minority aspect, so they got rid of any "expendable" mutants while all major ones kept their powers or got them back in some way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    The amount of mutants were getting out of hand and losing the whole minority aspect, so they got rid of any "expendable" mutants while all major ones kept their powers or got them back in some way or another.
    ^ It was a brand consolidation decision. Hell, I do it ALL the time. You don't need a new mutant when there are New Mutants in limbo.

Were there even that many mutants after Genosha, though?

BANNED

I think Quesada did HOM because they thought they given up the opportunity with the Mutant Extinction agenda after Morrison/Quesada dilemma.
    Last edited by Vishop; 04-08-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    The school was booming after Morrison. Each X-Man had a squad of kids. It was a bit ridiculous in execution, despite some really interesting concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Good question

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I think Quesada did HOM because they thought they given up the opportunity with the Mutant Extinction agenda after Morrison/Quesada dilemma.
    I thought that was the whole point of Nova's attack on Genosha was to diminish the mutant population (as Tycon stated above)?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

But House of M was published in 2005 and the first MCU movie was released in 2008? Fox's X-men was in full swing and Bendis just revitalized the Avengers line.

Was the movie right squabbling being done before the MCU even started?
    If I remember it originally back then I thought Joey thought the amount of mutants was ridiculous and too many mutants were being created for what was considered a minority group and on top of that mutancy was rarer and it wasn't something that happened to everyone and his uncle which I felt was very sound reasoning and no one ever connected to Marvels hates mutants, nice to see that rule stuck along with no more deaths, another sound decision... yeah. Now we have so many mutants who get no focus. With new ones getting created each reset and now we have all the resurrected mutants on top of it that people see as some genius philosophical creative move instead of what it is? A quick fix-it for all the constant death people have been complaining about. Now we have even more mutants to try to squeeze in over others. Which just leads to the other thing readers were getting tired of: Wall paper. See below.

Back on the topic of Marvels attitude towards mutants: Then later X-Fans "found out" that Quesada didn't like the X-Men but if he had to choose his favorites it was the 05. But even then he still loved the Avengers better. People don't understand how contradictory/confusing it sounds to say that Marvel hates mutants and then say its because of film rights so that logically means they don't like FOX not that they hate their own property. I know that they most definitely love a few characters in particular the last 15 years and that's still going. So that's not all of them right? Actually, Shooter was also a huge Avengers fan over the X-Men and that was pretty well known but you cant say the mid 70s to late 80s mutants had it bad through his short tenure. So we will never no why Marvel really supposedly hates mutants (except for those few that obviously aren't).

Sometimes it just seems that X comic readers were just so used to riding high and their characters ruling the comics industry. I don't have much adversarial feelings when it comes to comics like you would for sports teams which this seems like it has become for some (more than "minority issues"). I won't be tipping over any cars anytime soon. Add that to the fact that many people don't like more than a couple of favorites and have become adversarial anyway, so there really is no community in that sense. At least it was that way before, y'know... maybe not so much now.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-08-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Does Joe know that trimming mutants down to less than 300 is substantially more ridiculous than a minority group growing when they aren’t being subjugated to constant terror and death?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    The school was booming after Morrison. Each X-Man had a squad of kids. It was a bit ridiculous in execution, despite some really interesting concepts.
    I still don’t see why that’s such a detriment to the storytelling. It’s a giant ass mansion with only six to eleven kids at a time. It didn’t have to matter to the narrative if the writer didn’t want to focus on it. At that point, it just seemed like a personal grievance from Quesada.
    Last edited by Tycon; 04-08-2020 at 06:02 PM.

BANNED

Good question

I thought that was the whole point of Nova's attack on Genosha was to diminish the mutant population (as Tycon stated above)?
    It was but it lost it's flame after Morrison in simple words. Honestly I don't think Quesada cared about the X-Men or Spider-Man lore or it's history as long it has consistent stories. Hence a lot of retcons
    Last edited by Vishop; 04-08-2020 at 06:09 PM.

I definitely think it was done to make the Avengers the lead franchise that Marvel was promoting. New Avengers at the time was compared to Justice League and Marvel was committed to making the Avengers happened which resulted in knocking the X-line down

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Technically yes a huge mansion should have more people but it really was just something Chuck inherited and decided to turn into a hide out/haven. But then rich people sometimes buy big things they don't even need. Ok now back to all the mutants during Morrison era... I enjoyed Morrisons run for the most part, it was different from the constant mutants on the run and persecution stories. It was more positive. I wont get into what I didn't like, though. But it did really start to snowball near the end of his run. I personally think that no more characters should have been created after Defilippis generation of mutants. At the very least wait ten or so years and perhaps graduate certain mutants to something else or have them retire then comeback only if they actually use the characters, if not it would be time to brush off those and absolutely not create new ones. You know... how it was once usually done. Writers used to really look forward to writing characters the company already had. But now writers want to "make their mark" by creating new ones and if they had been paying attention they would see how many have faded into obscurity - the five lights anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    If I remember it originally back then I thought Joey thought the amount of mutants was ridiculous and too many mutants were being created for what was considered a minority group and on top of that mutancy was rarer and it wasn't something that happened to everyone and his uncle which I felt was very sound reasoning and no one ever connected to Marvels hates mutants, nice to see that rule stuck along with no more deaths, another sound decision... yeah. Now we have so many mutants who get no focus. With new ones getting created each reset and now we have all the resurrected mutants on top of it that people see as some genius philosophical creative move instead of what it is? A quick fix-it for all the constant death people have been complaining about. Now we have even more mutants to try to squeeze in over others. Which just leads to the other thing readers were getting tired of: Wall paper. See below.
    It makes sense especially if the original Five wasn't getting any play; however, I thought Astonishing was taking care of that especially bringing back the X-Men to their super-heroic daring-do

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I definitely think it was done to make the Avengers the lead franchise that Marvel was promoting. New Avengers at the time was compared to Justice League and Marvel was committed to making the Avengers happened which resulted in knocking the X-line down
    and considering they called in the avengers writer to do it...just cold. So glad they finally undid even if it took a decade+