Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What're some traits or plot points that you prefer to 616 canon?

With how many posts I read about Peter being best friends with Harry in high school, it makes me wonder how many people know that Harry and Peter actually didn't like each other at first when they met each other in college. Even the TAS remembered to made a point that Peter and Harry's friendship was a fairly recent development.

What're some story traits that you liked better than what's canon to Earth-616?

For Example:
    • I love May's interactions with Peter and her trauma in Ultimate Spider-Man. It made her feel much less like the set piece that JMS made her out to be.
    • Norman in the comics rarely seems to have concrete plans in the ccomics besides "destroy Spider-Man". That's why most of his adaptations are superior to his OG interpretation.
    • I love how Weisman made sure that Peter's supporting cast wasn't shunted aside. Peter's social life is more than just something to create problems for him.
    • I love how Peter in Ultimate Spider-Man actually tells MJ and May his idetity rather than them stumbling upon it. It shows a much greater level of maturity on Peter's part.
    • I still wish comics ran in real-time but I know my wish will never be granted. *Sigh*

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    [*]I still wish comics ran in real-time but I know my wish will never be granted. *Sigh*[/LIST]
    *Offers wide-open arms of commiseration* Bring it in!

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I prefer Insomniac's interpretation of Peter's post-college years than the 616 canon interpretation where he drops out of grad school, and then alternates between photography and other various jobs.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I prefer Insomniac's interpretation of Peter's post-college years than the 616 canon interpretation where he drops out of grad school, and then alternates between photography and other various jobs.
    Highly agreed with you there. PS4 Spider-Man actually seemed to have some direction with his life (despite the crazy/evil mentor thing) and found some peace in it (although the end of the game suggested that he would stop being a scientist for a while).

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

A lot of the PS4 game was perfect. Osborns role was perfect, but so were all the supporting characters and villains.

I liked the dynamic of Ultimate Goblin and Spider-Man (genuinely didn’t mind the hulk-goblin approach).

Ultimate Clone Saga was superb.

Astonishing Member

Here are some of my favorites: 1: Into The Spider Verse MJ. Maybe the best version of MJ I have ever seen. 2; Renew Your Vows. Peter as a family man. 3: Spider-Man Blue. A great Peter and MJ story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    [*]I still wish comics ran in real-time but I know my wish will never be granted. *Sigh*[/LIST]
    I would rather Peter Parker be younger than 72 years old in the current stories.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Highly agreed with you there. PS4 Spider-Man actually seemed to have some direction with his life (despite the crazy/evil mentor thing) and found some peace in it (although the end of the game suggested that he would stop being a scientist for a while).
    Yeah, it's a lot more believable than the meandering route that 616 Peter's life has taken (due to the differing visions of writers).
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Ultimate Clone Saga was superb.
    Agreed. Bendis version is best:

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I don't know about the having his act together that early, but I love the Insomniac version of Otto. (Some of that owes to the VA though.)

I don't know if this is supposed to necessarily be about other versions of Spider-Man that have been produced, but I do wish his life was a little less interconnected. I like that a lot of his headaches stem from his real-life personal relationships. I like one of his biggest enemies being his friend's dad, and I just mentioned the PS4 Otto.

But stuff like his parents being spies. Come on, get rid of that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

I don't see the problem with his parents being CIA. They hardly ever get brought up enough in order for them to be connected Peter or Spider-Man.

Mighty Member

I think insomniac's portrayal of Aunt May is the best use of the character in any adaptation (even though I do love Raimi's May as well.) It's certainly better than how she's most often portrayed in 616 (with JMS May being a rare exception.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Any time they focus on Peter's biological parents is awful. It's best to just never talk about them at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Any time they focus on Peter's biological parents is awful. It's best to just never talk about them at all.
    I feel that way about Teresa. I think eventually they should retcon her and say that she's Teresa Fitzpatrick and related to Peter via Mary Fitzpatrick Parker's sister or something, that way, she can still be "family" as a kind of cousin and so on, but not Family with a capital F.

The fact that they haven't allowed Teresa to be properly introduced to Aunt May as Mary's sister shows that Marvel editorial are non-committal about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    I think insomniac's portrayal of Aunt May is the best use of the character in any adaptation (even though I do love Raimi's May as well.) It's certainly better than how she's most often portrayed in 616 (with JMS May being a rare exception.)
    I'm just glad Nancy Linari got to have a good showcase as Aunt May given how underutilized she is in the current Spider-Man cartoon.

The PS4 game also used May much better then any of the recent movies have save ITSV.