Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    On that note, how the animated series introduced the idea that the Black costume was making Peter more aggressive. It gave a nice reason for SPidey to want tog et rid of the costume and helped explain why Venom is the way he is.
    Yeah, I can agree with that, since Peter's original reaction of visceral horror, i.e. "It's a creepy alien, get it off me!" didn't exactly paint him in the best light and made it a little too easy to sympathize with the symbiote.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, I prefer the spider-marriage in MC2 to anything I've seen in the 616, RYV universe or the Abramsverse. MC2 had Peter give up being Spider-Man, of course, due to his leg getting blown apart by the Green Goblin. I wasn't as fond of that aspect, but I did like that Peter and MJ saw being a spider-hero as a horrible responsibility, and both reacted in shock and sadness when their daughter showed that she had the same powerset. They knew what it meant for her. Thats just one example of the kind of nice balance that DeFalco struck with the Spider-marriage, with them trying to live normal lives but having the spectre of Spider-Man always overshadow things.

As far as USM goes, I do love a lot of aspects of it. Not sure I'd tag any of the approaches as being completely superior to 616, though. That universe had its drawbacks.
    Main one being that the Spider-Men and their supporting casts/allies were practically the only decent people in the 'verse, whereas damn near every other "hero," especially the Ultimates, was a bunch of jerks at best and downright psychopaths at worst.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well, I prefer the spider-marriage in MC2 to anything I've seen in the 616, RYV universe or the Abramsverse. MC2 had Peter give up being Spider-Man, of course, due to his leg getting blown apart by the Green Goblin. I wasn't as fond of that aspect, but I did like that Peter and MJ saw being a spider-hero as a horrible responsibility, and both reacted in shock and sadness when their daughter showed that she had the same powerset. They knew what it meant for her. Thats just one example of the kind of nice balance that DeFalco struck with the Spider-marriage, with them trying to live normal lives but having the spectre of Spider-Man always overshadow things.
    I like Defalco-Frenz's Spider-Girl, but to me the draw of the book was never Peter and MJ's relationship. Hardly any of the issues dealt with them as a couple, and mostly they were just presented as "Mom" and "Dad". There were many cool moments for Peter and for MJ with their daughter, yes, but with each other not so much. I find the older versions of Peter and MJ convincing visually and in terms of voice and character, it's just that Defalco-Frenz felt that going into that version of Peter-MJ was more for the main books to do, and also I guess they didn't think there was an audience for showing a middle-aged married couple deal with their relationship in a story centered on a teenage superheroine.

There was never an issue in Spider-Girl like, Jody Houser's Renew Your Vows #19. That issue is a great one that shows their relationship and how it changed after being together for so long and becoming parents.

Mighty Member

Gwen being a nerd and being just as bright as Peter I would say is a decent one that made me understand why someone like Peter would date someone like Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    On that note, how the animated series introduced the idea that the Black costume was making Peter more aggressive. It gave a nice reason for SPidey to want tog et rid of the costume and helped explain why Venom is the way he is.
    Yeah, despite the whole suit wearing your body thing, I do feel that Peter needed more reasons to ditch the black suit.

I've also liked the Ock getting into organized crime via cornering the supervillain market... it makes sense for the man who organized the Sinister Six. I was always wondering how a scientist like Octavius would get wrapped up in mobsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Gwen being a nerd and being just as bright as Peter I would say is a decent one that made me understand why someone like Peter would date someone like Gwen.
    And she eventually grew into a more classic Gwen Stacy, at least visually. Overall it felt like a more genuine update of the 616 character, even with the liberties, then a lot of what we've seen lately.

Dang, it just occurred to me how many stories/icons/moments that were done better elsewhere than 616 continuity. I've always been partial to Ultimate Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man, as those were my childhood, so I always saw those as the superior continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, I can agree with that, since Peter's original reaction of visceral horror, i.e. "It's a creepy alien, get it off me!" didn't exactly paint him in the best light and made it a little too easy to sympathize with the symbiote.
    A creepy alien that wanted to bond with him permanently, had been taking his body out for joy rides without his consent and when he said he didn't want anything to do with it, refused to take "no" for an answer.

There is a whole lot wrong with the symbiote before you get into whether or not it actually corrupts you like the adaptations went with.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Dang, it just occurred to me how many stories/icons/moments that were done better elsewhere than 616 continuity. I've always been partial to Ultimate Spider-Man and Spectacular Spider-Man, as those were my childhood, so I always saw those as the superior continuity.
    A lot of what Spec and even USM to a certain extent drew from had their source in 616. They really just had the benefit of hindsight and the chance to execute this stuff in a more modern day format in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A lot of what Spec and even USM to a certain extent drew from had their source in 616. They really just had the benefit of hindsight and the chance to execute this stuff in a more modern day format in my opinion.
    Even with that hindsight, it's still mind-blowing how effective these adaptations and stories have been from their original sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A creepy alien that wanted to bond with him permanently, had been taking his body out for joy rides without his consent and when he said he didn't want anything to do with it, refused to take "no" for an answer.

There is a whole lot wrong with the symbiote before you get into whether or not it actually corrupts you like the adaptations went with.
    Hmm, points.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Going with the Choir here; if the comics were to ever get rebooted, then the Insomniac Game might just have my ideal status quo for a lot of characters:

Peter being a Graduate Research Assistant.
    Jameson running a podcast.
    Aunt May working in the FEAST Center.
    Osborn running for Mayor.

I'd love to see some Into the Spider-Verse influence happening with Miles, with him becoming an artist.

With Eddie Brock I love the Ultimate Spider-Man/Spectacular Spider-Man interpretation of him being childhood friends/a big brother figure to Peter.

Gwen Stacy is interesting because I think Spider-Gwen is starting to supplant classic as far as the popular interpretation goes.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 04-14-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Going with the Choir here; if the comics were to ever get rebooted, then the Insomniac Game might just have my ideal status quo for a lot of characters:

I'd love to see some Into the Spider-Verse influence happening with Miles, with him becoming an artist.

With Eddie Brock I love the Ultimate Spider-Man/Spectacular Spider-Man interpretation of him being childhood friends/a big brother figure to Peter.

Gwen Stacy is interesting because I think Spider-Gwen is starting to supplant classic as far as the popular interpretation goes.
    Of course, since Spider-Gwen has a lot more substance to her character than just being "Peter Parker's dead girlfriend." Hell, in her universe, Peter's the dead one and she's full of angst and guilt and other unresolved feelings over him.

As for Norman Osborn running for mayor, that could be interesting if his Green Goblin backstory was kept intact, or he had dealings with Wilson Fisk a la the 90s cartoon, either of those casting a suspicious shadow over his mayoralty. Speaking of the 90s cartoon, I did like Doctor Octopus as Peter's childhood science mentor and that backstory could be maintained as motivation for Peter to work for his lab after graduating ESU. Turning to Eddie Brock, could combine the Ultimate/Spectacular brotherly childhood friendship with TAS making him and Peter colleagues at The Daily Bugle, at least before Peter moves on to work for Octavius.

Kind of prefer Norman Osborn from the 90s cartoon and first Raimi film where he was a somewhat sympathetic, if shady, guy before becoming the Green Goblin.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-14-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Kind of prefer Norman Osborn from the 90s cartoon and first Raimi film where he was a somewhat sympathetic, if shadowy, guy before becoming the Green Goblin.
    Funny enough, that was his characterization pre-The Night Gwen Stacy Died, and then when he was brought back to end The Clone Saga, it was decided that Osborn was pure evil all along and the Goblin simply enabled that to come to the surface. That said, the PS4 game did at least give him more nuance, insofar as being driven to desperate extremes to save his son's life, regardless of the suffering he ultimately caused and inflicted on others.

People mention Peter as a graduate research assistant in the PS4 game, and while I think that worked really well in the game, I think part of it also hinged on the fact that he ended up working for Doc Ock. Like in Spec when he was an assistant for Conners right up until he becomes The Lizard. So it seems like the only way to make Peter with a science job interesting is to have him work with a Supervillain up until they transform, because otherwise...what? He works for Max Modell? Would that really be interesting in the long-term? Even other adaptions you have The Jackal or Osborn.

Otherwise it would probably just be an excuse for Peter making more of his tech (like how the game also used it as an excuse for upgrades), but that's not much of a "job" in my opinion.

Speaking of Modell, I'm not sure if this was even intentional on the part of the show writers, but I liked the Marvel's Spider-Man take on him as "nice Jameson" where he's this nice guy but constantly unkowingly makes decisions or withholds information that ends up screwing Peter over.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Thank you for not mentioning Mary Jane as a reporter .

The podcasting thing...I think that's only really relevant if he's not with the Bugle anymore, but I'd rather go with media adaptions that have him with his face blasting on TV screens or jumbo-trons to harangue Spider-Man.

Aunt May with the FEAST center is definitely great for giving her something to do.
    I think this is becoming indisputable.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, that was his characterization pre-The Night Gwen Stacy Died, and then when he was brought back to end The Clone Saga, it was decided that Osborn was pure evil all along and the Goblin simply enabled that to come to the surface. That said, the PS4 game did at least give him more nuance, insofar as being driven to desperate extremes to save his son's life, regardless of the suffering he ultimately caused and inflicted on others.
    Yeah, I like to read a Norman who what one point was a decent guy and maybe still is, in his own way, when it comes to Harry.