Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I love the concept so long as it's not overdone, which is why I'm hesitant to say I'd be for it at DC. In anime, typically, their powers and abilities are fleshed out in such a way that they inform and are informed by their characters and the story; so the super form generally denote an important character moment. in western comics that generally isn't the case, so the few times when they do power up transformations they tend to feel hollow and superficial, which is why they are rare and usually temporary. So, considering the questionable creative decisions DC makes as times, I can definitely see them overdoing it by making it part of an some kind of event where every other hero (biggest names who don't need it first) arbitrarily attain a "super form" and then, if the idea fails because of their poor execution, they all get taken away anyway to be pretended like they never happened. Superman, and pretty much any kryptonian, doesn't need a new super form, nor do people like Batman or Green Lantern (GL's tend to do power up's/transformations already and they work fine as is). Wonder Woman it could work because of the whole Gods angle and her being a demigod lends itself to the idea well. ideally super forms, if they were to do it in a way I'd wanna see, should be given to the smaller heroes as a way of showcasing their growth potential and help give them a brand push. if they did it that way I'd be 100% on board.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-10-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Depends. Anime over does (looking at you Goku), but most anime isn't some big long lasting juggernaut like DBZ. Tokusatsu shows like Ultraman does it, but there's a new Ultraman with a new gimmick every season. For something truly unending like Western comics, kind of hard to do since the problem of permanence comes up. Will this power up last? If not why not? Why not use power up for every problem? How often do you get a new power up? Easy way to mess things up after say a decade. Most anime and such ends, so power ups can work over 2 to 4 seasons. Superman never ends.
    To be fair to Goku, he was the first to transform

BANNED

Bruce: RGHAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (his hair turn blonde) Super Bruce Form ! :P

and you haven't even seen his final form yet... :O

BANNED

Also wouldn’t equate Batman’s special Batsuits to anything like Goku’s SSJ form or Wonder Woman’s God Mode. Or that new thing Flash has..

Armors could be torn apart, could be planets away in the Batcave, etc etc. It’s not something he’s going to have constant access to unless he actually bring plug out and wears let’s say the HellBat.

Getting a power up or a new power I’d argue is not the same as transforming into another form and regressing back like Carol Danvers does with Binary or Goten and Trunks do with their SSJ transformations. Superman sundipping is him typically actively going out and bathing in the sun to restore his cells something that’s probably been around since the silver age as a source of his power I don’t consider being sun dipped and amped for a short period as a transformation. It’s not an inert ability

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Wonder Woman it could work because of the whole Gods angle and her being a demigod lends itself to the idea well. ideally super forms, if they were to do it in a way I'd wanna see, should be given to the smaller heroes as a way of showcasing their growth potential and help give them a brand push. if they did it that way I'd be 100% on board.
    Wonder Woman was actually the one, which I didnt like at all....She is actually already so OP with her training and her powers that I think she is the last one who needs such a push...

I would like such a push more for heroes like Conner Kent, Cassandra Sandsmark....who are behind the JL...

For Cassandra I always thougt it would be cool, since in PRE-FLASHPOINT she was Zeus daughter...So as last resort possibility it would have been cool for her (for example against Superboy Prime) to power herself up....

Conner could make a fusion between TTK and Kryptonian Powers...

Flash is ok, since he isnt really like Superman and Wonder Woman...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm not a fan of that at all. Not a fan of it in Anime, hate it in comics. I personally consider it lazy storytelling.

I think I first noticed it in Power Rangers. Season starts out where they're super awesome heroes... then suddenly their weapons aren't enough... so they spend a long time getting their NEW Super Weapon!!! New Super Weapon kills the mega evil fine. Next season, NEW Mega Evil... Try out New Super Weapons AND IT DOESN"T WORK... I guess we need to spend THIS seasons getting the New ULTRA Super Weapon... Which will save the day... until the next newest enemy will require the New MEGA ultra Super Weapon.... It's just a continuous roller coaster trying to challenge the heroes after you JUST gave them a power up. Same thing with Digimon. The super form they worked so hard to get to... was just pointless a couple seasons later.

Some other examples. CW Flash... He spends multiple seasons needing to get 'EVEN FASTER!!!" to beat the speedster of the season.... Despite the fact that we've already seen Season 2 top speed breaks the time barrier... somehow season 4 MUST GO FASTER!!! Despite the concept that in order to reach X +3 you've already hit X and that screws up teh timeline... but .... POWER UP!!!!

Immortal Hulk is another one. People keep pushing that this is the most dangerous hulk ever... when we already saw Maestro who was stronger than Savage and WORLDBREAKER... who's footsteps were creating earthquakes across the eastern seaboard. There's just no 'upgrading that'. We've SEEN top form.

I'm personally more interested in characters with weaknesses and flaws who have to come up with ultra creative ways to get around problems than just see them get powered up and bulldoze through them. For example I used to LOVE seeing how Hal Jordan would deal with the yellow weakness and time limits. He's a LOT less interesting without those weaknesses.
    Power Rangers and Digimon aren't exactly a good example as the characters change from season to season.

Astonishing Member

I'm not a fan of that at all. Not a fan of it in Anime, hate it in comics. I personally consider it lazy storytelling.

I think I first noticed it in Power Rangers. Season starts out where they're super awesome heroes... then suddenly their weapons aren't enough... so they spend a long time getting their NEW Super Weapon!!! New Super Weapon kills the mega evil fine. Next season, NEW Mega Evil... Try out New Super Weapons AND IT DOESN"T WORK... I guess we need to spend THIS seasons getting the New ULTRA Super Weapon... Which will save the day... until the next newest enemy will require the New MEGA ultra Super Weapon.... It's just a continuous roller coaster trying to challenge the heroes after you JUST gave them a power up. Same thing with Digimon. The super form they worked so hard to get to... was just pointless a couple seasons later.

Some other examples. CW Flash... He spends multiple seasons needing to get 'EVEN FASTER!!!" to beat the speedster of the season.... Despite the fact that we've already seen Season 2 top speed breaks the time barrier... somehow season 4 MUST GO FASTER!!! Despite the concept that in order to reach X +3 you've already hit X and that screws up teh timeline... but .... POWER UP!!!!

Immortal Hulk is another one. People keep pushing that this is the most dangerous hulk ever... when we already saw Maestro who was stronger than Savage and WORLDBREAKER... who's footsteps were creating earthquakes across the eastern seaboard. There's just no 'upgrading that'. We've SEEN top form.

I'm personally more interested in characters with weaknesses and flaws who have to come up with ultra creative ways to get around problems than just see them get powered up and bulldoze through them. For example I used to LOVE seeing how Hal Jordan would deal with the yellow weakness and time limits. He's a LOT less interesting without those weaknesses.
    The whole point of Digimon is evolution through battle/bond with human partner and a defined level system: Baby<Rookie<Champion< Ultimate< Mega. A Digimon that's Champion level cannot keep up with an Ultimate or higher unless they have a specific type advantage( a bit more complex than Pokémon's system) or backup. The protagonists Digimon had to get new forms to keep up with better opponents and even then that might not be enough. Most Mega level opponents were brought down by team efforts instead of having one Digimon with a 'super form' do all the work.

The only Digimon season that had one Digimon with a 'superform' solo the final boss(and even then, that was a ridiculously close fight) was Digimon Frontier and that seasons went downhill fast after the first story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Power Rangers and Digimon aren't exactly a good example as the characters change from season to season.
    Not originally. Power Rangers only started doing that with season 7, and Digimon at season 3. For Power Rangers, they did swap zords, and later powers, each season. Reason? Season 2, Zedd arrives, monster can take control of the zords, leading to them getting destroyed. So they upgrade to new zords which that can't happen to. Season 3, Rito arrives, and he sets up an ambush that destroys the zords and their powers with them. So they seek out Ninjor, and trade strength for speed, agility and stealth. Rito had no answer to a new Megazord that could fly. Season 4, the Machine Empire chase Rita and Zedd away, but not before Master Vile manages to depower the Rangers. The Rangers can't even fight the Machine Empire's Cog footsoldiers unmorphed, which immediately shows how much stronger the new bad guys are - and in turn, their new powers. Season 5, Turbo's changeover was a bit silly. They again traded raw power for speed, but the Zeo powers were never destroyed. And then at the end of Turbo, the team's HQ is destroyed, and their powers with it. The villain gets called away before she can take over the now defenceless Earth (it'll be invaded at the end of the next season). Turns out there was a second team in space the whole time but only the red ranger is still alive. Four of the Turbo Rangers take over those powers in season 6. At the end of In Space, this final roster retires, and we get a new team every season from then on.

As for Digimon, there were Dark Towers that negated digivolution, making the first eight Digidestined powerless, as their Digimon were stuck in rookie form. Three new characters each acquire two Digi Eggs that bypass this, and the two youngest from the previous season obtain one each too. After the villain gets defeated, he joins them, and from then on, while the show focuses on these six, the other six are now able to help out too, when not stuck in school. However, since their crests had been destroyed, it was a while before they could get past Champion level - which explains why the new kids needed their DNA Digivolved Ultimates.

All of these are examples of last season's gear being destroyed or made useless, except for the Zeo Ranger powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I don't like and don't want it in comics. The main reason is once it is used it is going to keep getting used and keep getting jacked up. Someone mentioned Goku and this is a prime example. Once he powered up then the villains had to power up which meant Goku powered up again and the cycle kept going until he literally is a god now. Modern writers are too lazy not to use a troupe like that if it is available to them.

Superman could work if he fused with the sun like Superman Prime

Shazam could work if he add more gods to his powerset

Iirc they only claim that Immortal is more dangerous and cunning then any of the other Hulks they've seen. The only barometer for his strength is Thor getting his Skull cracked (but he never fought Worldbreaker being dead and all) and him being...equal(?) to Gamma Buff shulkie