Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Cover did you see that immediately sparked your interest in Comics?

Do you remember which issue cover it was (most likely as a kid) that you saw that immediately made you interested in reading what was inside? I had seen comics as a kid a bunch of times, but it wasn't until the 6th grade, and one in particular struck me and I just had to check it out.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Do you remember which issue cover it was (most likely as a kid) that you saw that immediately made you interested in reading what was inside? I had seen comics as a kid a bunch of times, but it wasn't until the 6th grade, and one in particular struck me and I just had to check it out.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.
    I was about 8 or 9 (1993 or 1994). My aunt gave my older brother The Death of Superman Issue #75 ...

I don't think he collected a single other issue.

I read it and over a few years collected about 50 comics, mostly floppies and some trades. Then stopped.

Then around 2016 decided to start collecting again and my first book was Superman Wonder Woman Power Couple.

Now I own hundreds of books.
    20200409_221431.jpg
    91S6uAyC+9L.jpg
    Last edited by Menacer; 04-09-2020 at 10:17 PM.

BANNED

Weirdly, it was this one. I'll never forget "Green Lantern is toast! So, who's this!?" My friend showed me this issue and I thought it was SO AWESOME!!!

Extraordinary Member

Probably this one but it's been awhile so I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Probably this one but it's been awhile so I'm not sure.

Love those old JLA covers, no surprise to me that one struck you!

BTW, how many JLA covers were there that showed the team standing on either side of a grave looking all sad? Seems like they had one once a year for a while like that haha.

Superman vol 2 #26. I knew who Superman was, but I didn't own any comics. Saw this one on the spinner, been hooked ever since!

10411DCE-99B4-4CB2-B6FB-E47DE73EFB91.jpg
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

This one because The Penguin is dead?!

9781401285128.jpg

Then it turns out the story inside has nothing to do with The Penguin because the way stories collected in my country they pick random covers for Greatest Stories, so the content is actually about Joker Fish and Joker Revenge

So I never did find out what's the real story is about. Let's see...

Synopsis for "Snow and Ice - Part One: Ode to a Penguin"
    It's sunset at the Gotham Cemetery and several people are at the place at the funeral of one of the greatest criminal minds of Gotham City. Oswald Cobblepot, better known as the Penguin had suffered a heart attack while doing some exercise at the prison's gym

Oh **** he was dead

However, a helicopter soon approaches the prison that same night and springs open the window cell of Mortimer Kadaver, releasing the inmate and taking him inside the chopper. Although Kadaver is tempted to end his existence during the getaway, he is convinced by Penguin's thugs to help them revive their boss, as it was arranged. Kadaver agrees, considering that he is responsible for Penguin's hypnotic state which emulates death and whispers the real secret code, which he intentionally hid from the thugs to Penguin's ear. In a few seconds that appear to be an eternity, nothing happens until eventually, The Penguin comes back to life.

Aaaand he came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Superman vol 2 #26. I knew who Superman was, but I didn't own any comics. Saw this one on the spinner, been hooked ever since!

10411DCE-99B4-4CB2-B6FB-E47DE73EFB91.jpg
    ^^I remember getting that issue, thinking that was a kick ass cover.

I ran across this book in 1974. The rest is history!

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

I ran across this book in 1974. The rest is history!
    That Spider-Man cover almost gives me vertigo with him slipping down the side of the building like that.

It was the character Superman in general and the first Christopher Reeve movie being in cinemas at the time that ignited my life long love of the genre. This was my first ever comic (dated November 1979):

Lower The Pissing Winch!

It was a DC book.
    Justice League of America #127
    JLA127vgA__83750.1432157499.1280.1280.jpg

8C9791A7-556A-4E99-90C6-3C13197883A0.jpg
    Bought Batman 284 and Green Lantern 93 the same day, and that was me hooked.

Flash: Terminal Velocity
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Batman Cacophony I think was my first Dc comic. I remember me thinking the cover looked awesome and I had just watched the Dark Knight not long before, and the rest is history. Looking back the actual comic is pretty bad, but young me didn’t know any better. And to be fair, the cover still looks pretty badass.

Classmate of mine in 6th grade had this, don't know what it was about it, I was mesmerized , thought it looked incredibly cool.
    GL ED 1.jpg
    Last edited by tib2d2; 04-21-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    BTW, how many JLA covers were there that showed the team standing on either side of a grave looking all sad? Seems like they had one once a year for a while like that haha.
    LOL, I know. Here's one that was just a few issues later.