Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

I had always been into comics, ever since I can remember (mostly Harvey, Dell and Archie). But usually these comics were coverless copies that were in our house or at other people's houses. The first two comics I remember buying for myself, I got in late 1966, possibly around Christmastime, because I was at the drugstore with my father. I had gotten into Batman thanks to the TV show and I had read some comics from friends and neighbours, but the two I bought on that day were BATMAN 188 (December 1966) and ACTION COMICS 344 (December 1966), because of the covers which appealed to me as a Batman fan. You couldn't open up the comics and read them, so you had to go by what was on the cover.

Soon after that, I got in the habit of going to the drugstore with my sister on Saturdays, where we would spend our 25 cents allowance and I would either get two comic books for 12 cents each or I would get one Giant for 25 cents.

There were a lot of great covers that teased me into getting those comics. But the Saturday I remember best is when I got ACTION COMICS 350 (May 1967) and DETECTIVE COMICS 363 (May 1967). Both those covers--the ACTION by Swan and Klein, the DETECTIVE by Infantino and Anderson--were just begging me to buy them. How could I resist?

The 'TEC cover is especially one of my favourites, with the word balloon from Robin. That just makes me smile.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Saw this when I was about seven or eight and really wanted to know what was inside:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/super...tv/4000-27011/
    Assassinate Putin!

Doctor Strange #53 got me to buy my first comic.
    The Bullpen Bulletins had a spotlight on two covers that immediately drew my attention, and they became my second and third purchases: Fantastic Four #243 and Contest of Champions #1.

Interesting bit: Doctor Strange and the Fantastic Four were featured on all three covers.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Not sure which of these were first... but they 'reignited' my comic collecting. Prior to that i had a bunch of silver age superman and DC from my uncles half missing covers... but when i started getting some for myself, i definitely wanted the ones with as many 'special guest stars' as possible. More heroes for your buck!!!

And of course... I'm not really sure WHEN or WHERE I read these first. Definitley prior to my 'personal' collecting days. Dad must have found them somewhere as a set or something... It was certainly before I was collecting individual issues... but i definitely remember having them all... so not sure how that came about. but

This was probably my earliest non-cartoon introduction to the marvel characters.

DC's a little tougher. I'm not sure what was the first I really got hooked on them.

Probably or

But I know i was a Hal Jordan fan prior to that... but I also think it was the first of the 'modern' GL books I HAD to have.

796587.jpg

This Book on the Spinner Rack really caught my eye.
    Gotta Love Those Villains!!!

a neighbor got my sister into comics and I would
    Read her Archie, Harvey, and DC Comics.
    In 1971 I had her pick me up a few Batman books
    (She never read Batman. I enjoyed them a lot .
    But it was in the fall of 1972 that while in a
    Store I saw some Marvel Comics. Now I knew
    About the characters from the cartoons, but no
    One on my family ever purchased a Marvel comic.
    I was instantly hooked to every book with out
    Even Opening an issue, because of the covers.
    I became a huge Marvel fan and picked up
    new Marvel comics every allowance.

WRT DCComics, I think it was one of these in 1984/85
    I recognized the Luthor design from the cartoons and of course I knew Superman....but SuperWOMAN???? (and wassup with the Chick version of Luthor??)

I think All-Star Squadron got me because of the concept of a team book and not recognizing the Earth One vs Earth Two versions of characters.

And Amethyst because she was an acceptable fairy princess because she was a superhero DAMMIT!

Superman's Peace on Earth. I saw it in a News-stand over 20 years ago.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Not as individual issues but saw these trade covers in a Barnes and Noble

All-New Member

I was about 8 years old when my friend brought me a couple comics, including this one. I was hooked. 40+ years later and I've got a basement full of comics (mostly DC, but I still have a fondness for this cheesy mid-70s stuff).

The Tarantula.jpg

Boisterously Confused

Having older brothers, comics had been around me all my life, but they were purely Marvel guys. The first DC cover I remember really catching my eye was Superman 252, at age 7. I'd read other DC comics, but this was the first that I really just had to have. It was (I think) my introduction to all things Golden Age, which has fascinated me ever since.
    Attached Images Attached Images