Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Todd McFarlane talks potential Spider-Man/ Spawn/ Venom crossover

Todd McFarlane recently discussed an openness to do a crossover between Marvel and Image with Spawn.

https://www.cbr.com/todd-mcfarlane-s...over-covid-19/

There have been a few Marvel and Image crossovers, and many of the Image founders have done multiple Marvel projects, but McFarlane has generally not been interested between crossovers between Spawn and Spider-Man/ Venom. He feels differently now with the hit the comics industry is taking with the current pandemic.

"To me, I'm way more concerned about how it has any lasting effect, but, comma but, with where we stand today and not knowing what's going to happen on the other side of normality and what that even looks like in terms of the comic book industry, then I've been sort of asking myself, are we going to need some event book or things on the other side, not just one or not just two, I think we're going to need a steady drum of them…" McFarlane told ComicBook.com.

"Something as crazy as a Spawn-Spidey [Venom] be, I don't know, maybe," he continued. "I never really had a compelling reason to it, but you know, if part of it is that it helps a little bit in the stability of our industry, then maybe I should go back to doing manual labor and do my part. We should all be good soldiers somewhere along the line. So, yeah. We'll see where it all goes."
    Is this something you guys would like to see? If so, how should it be done?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm all for it. With Spider-verse it doesn't even have to take place in 616 of course.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Amazing Member

In the same interview, McFarlane goes on to say:
    "f they put me in charge – and no one wants that, I understand! – here’s what I’d do. I’d take Image, Dark Horse, Marvel and DC – the top 90% of the market – and make a message from the four of us as a unified front, one message."

"Maybe we can coordinate the timing for once, so each company gets a turn in the spotlight," he suggests. "Maybe do some cross-company stuff, to make it sexy."

"Unified front, one message". This coming from the guy who most sides seem to agree held up Image United.

That being said, I'd be okay with a Spider-man/ Spawn crossover if it gives Marvel the chance to flesh out one of their more unsung characters with loads of potential. Someone like, say, Angela.

Astonishing Member

I know i would buy it for sure.
    As a fan of Tod McFarlane art in the Spider-Man comics and other comic books (I will be buying the Incredible Hulk by Peter David Omnibus Vol:1, that have McFarlane art ) a Spider-Man/Spawn/Venom crossover comic book would be a must buy to me.
    As for how it should be,i think something similiar to how was the Marvel Graphic Novels in regards of the pages would be great.

I’d be all over this. Todd McFarlane has remained my favorite Spidey artist even after all the great artists that’ve come after. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy with a great work ethic. I love his devotion to fans as well. One of the few people alive I’d love to shake hands with at some point.

BANNED

I hope there will be some kind of inter-company crossover after the crisis has passed. They're always fun and it'd be nice to see a new one or two appear.

If this was still the 90s, I'd be excited, but Todd's star has fallen and Spawn is less of a draw and more of a "they still publish that?"

I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun, but it doesn't excite me.

I actually wouldn't buy it. I think Todd Mcfarlane style is cool, not my kind of art, but certainly he has a line as an author. But his writing ... I think he does a fine job in Spawn, at least in some issues I have read at the beginning of the series, but it has never made an impact on me. I also read the issues of his Spider-Man where Hobgoblin (Jason Macendale) is some sort of demon or demon possessed zealot villain, and I dislike Mcfarlane's writing in that story. It's edgy without nuance if you ask me. So I don't really care if this project or idea sees the light or don't
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Visually, I'm all for it.
    Hesitant on the style of story he's going for.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

A Venom/Spawn Crossover would be my 90s dream come true!

(Still never too late though)

That's a really odd combination, beyond the meta reasons of the artist working on both series (and Spawn and Venom being big in the '90s when ultra violent heroes and antiheroes where the norm). There's no narrative logic or thematic compatibility between throwing Spawn into the Spider-Man Universe (unlike how the Ninja Turtles crossing over with Batman or Power Rangers make perfect sense). If they want to make it, that's fine, but when a crossover story has no selling point beyond the novelty of throwing two franchises together, that's not a good start. (to be fair that Star Trek vs Transformers miniseries did prove that that novelty can work well, but I don't see how this would work. IMHO, if they want a Spawn crossover, Ghost Rider or John Constantine are what they should be looking at.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That's a really odd combination, beyond the meta reasons of the artist working on both series (and Spawn and Venom being big in the '90s when ultra violent heroes and antiheroes where the norm). There's no narrative logic or thematic compatibility between throwing Spawn into the Spider-Man Universe (unlike how the Ninja Turtles crossing over with Batman or Power Rangers make perfect sense). If they want to make it, that's fine, but when a crossover story has no selling point beyond the novelty of throwing two franchises together, that's not a good start. (to be fair that Star Trek vs Transformers miniseries did prove that that novelty can work well, but I don't see how this would work. IMHO, if they want a Spawn crossover, Ghost Rider or John Constantine are what they should be looking at.)
    Star Trek/TF made sense imo.

Aliens, sci fi, both animated series. Plus the added backstory of "Yeah TF G1 happened before the Gene Wars"

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Star Trek/TF made sense imo.

Aliens, sci fi, both animated series.
    That's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Plus the added backstory of "Yeah TF G1 happened before the Gene Wars"
    Ish; I'm not a huge Transformers expert, but it was my understanding that the comic molded the G1 show to fit the Star Trek timeline (so stuff like the animated movie showing a larger Transformer presence on Earth never happened). While there'll always be some suspension of disbelief that no record of their existence survived into the 23rd century (although we do know in Kirk's day that information from the Eugenics Wars era was sketchy, at best), it worked pretty well.

My biggest question would be how the Transformers factored into the Eugenics Wars; it's mentioned that they were on Earth, conducting their civil war with the Decepticons in secret prior to that conflict, but didn't actually leave until WWIII, some decades later.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That's fair.

Ish; I'm not a huge Transformers expert, but it was my understanding that the comic molded the G1 show to fit the Star Trek timeline (so stuff like the animated movie showing a larger Transformer presence on Earth never happened). While there'll always be some suspension of disbelief that no record of their existence survived into the 23rd century (although we do know in Kirk's day that information from the Eugenics Wars era was sketchy, at best), it worked pretty well.

My biggest question would be how the Transformers factored into the Eugenics Wars; it's mentioned that they were on Earth, conducting their civil war with the Decepticons in secret prior to that conflict, but didn't actually leave until WWIII, some decades later.
    From whats inferred it was pretty much G1 (before the movie) until humans suddenly had a massive third world war (the eugenics war) though you could perhaps mine a story or two out of megatron teaming up with Khan.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

I'd be all in just for the art.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."