Default New Gods : Back to basics?

Whenever I see the new gods their either attached to Superman books or aloof cosmic beings.

Has DC ever attempted to re-try Kirbys og idea of the denizens of New Genises and Apokalyps infiltrating earth society ? Orion walking amongst us leading a secret resistance force of humans against Darkseids minions ?

Extraordinary Member

Well, there was Walt Simonson's take way back when. The artwork was phenomenal.

The version that always made the most sense to me, though, was the Superman the Animated Series version.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Whenever I see the new gods their either attached to Superman books or aloof cosmic beings.

Has DC ever attempted to re-try Kirbys og idea of the denizens of New Genises and Apokalyps infiltrating earth society ? Orion walking amongst us leading a secret resistance force of humans against Darkseids minions ?
    They started out attached to Superman books. Darkseid debuted in Jimmy Olsen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    They started out attached to Superman books. Darkseid debuted in Jimmy Olsen.
    No I'm aware, but I mean their literally only ever in his books. Wheras Kirby literally gave Orion an ongoing

Almost every time the New Gods are revived at DC, they scrap everything except the Kirby stuff.
    All the diverging timelines coming after that one series would make J.J. Abrams proud.

I think the Kirby stuff is amazing.
    And probably why whenever they get dusted off DC determines that their last attempt didn't come close enough to Kirby's level.

Would be nice if they had some progression that actually stuck, though.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Well, there was Walt Simonson's take way back when. The artwork was phenomenal.
    I never even really liked Orion as a character, but damn did I love that solo series by Walt Simonson. It made me and Orion fan it was just that good.