Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Jacob (Kate’s father) is Martha’s brother. Jacob is jewish. Martha is jewish. Your jewish status is passed down through your mother’s side, which makes Bruce Jewish. You don’t have to be a practicing Jew in order to be a Jew. Trust me. I know. I see enough of them at family reunions.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Jacob (Kate’s father) is Martha’s brother. Jacob is jewish. Martha is jewish. Your jewish status is passed down through your mother’s side, which makes Bruce Jewish. You don’t have to be a practicing Jew in order to be a Jew. Trust me. I know. I see enough of them at family reunions.
    But... I think the original question is if Bruce should practice?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I don't think he needs to practice.

Extraordinary Member

Not really. It's if it should inform his character. Should he ever think about his mother's heritage, should it influence his motivations at all. None of that requires him to attend synagogue or have a Passover seder.

Personally, I think it could help deepen his relationship with Kate if it's explored sometimes when they interact, since it's something they share. That's where I see a point to it. Outside of that it's more a cute bit of trivia that Batman could be Jewish.

Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    You didn't debunk it the first time.

Bruce being Jewish has no bearing on whether or not he's religious.
    If it has no bearing then it’s irrelevant for the story. Being christian/jewish/muslim is not an identity and it’s not making character more interesting than he already is.

It asks if he should embrace it. You can embrace being Jewish, yet not have to practice, wear a Star of David, or keep a menorah around. Being Jewish is one of quirky gray areas where it’s an ethnicity, as well as a religion.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    In the zero issue that preceded the 2011 Batwoman series, as he is spying on Kate while she is visiting their graves, Bruce mentions what happened to Beth and Gabi as if he was completely detached to it and just learned of it. He poses as a homeless man and decides Jacob Kane "must not be too bad" because he gave him some spare change. It's clear he had no connection or relation to Kate and her family at that point.
    There's a new origin after Rebirth in Detective Comics from Kate's point of view. Bruce is still stalking her, but with a different context now that they've been established as a family.

Btw, now I wanna see someone make a fan comic portraying Martha as a stereotypical Jewish mom

Quote Originally Posted by restingvoice View Post
    there's a new origin after rebirth in detective comics from kate's point of view. Bruce is still stalking her, but with a different context now that they've been established as a family.

Btw, now i wanna see someone make a fan comic portraying martha as a stereotypical jewish mom
    !!!!! This!!!!!!
    E3FB19A7-980A-4964-BA36-E5C6EB456E8C.jpg
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Btw, now I wanna see someone make a fan comic portraying Martha as a stereotypical Jewish mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Well she did marry a rich doctor and hearing all of her in his childhood probably drove Bruce into feeling guilty and becoming Batman lol

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Child Bruce bringing home Zatanna, Golden Dawn, or Julie Madison
    Martha *whispers* "Are they Jewish?" *loudly* "So... where are you from?"

Incredible Member

It's interesting because of course most of the major superheroes, including Batman, come from Jewish writers and artists. But none of the characters are explicitly coded as Jewish — all of the names are generic and Anglo Saxon, like Wayne or Parker or Kent or whatever. You don't have any Parkerberg or Waynestein. The ethnicity is removed. And yet all of the superheroes obviously deal with dual identities — they can pass in public, but they have a secret identity; they're wanted by evil forces, and now they're fighting back.

So whether Bruce is canonically Jewish or not, it's important/interesting to remember the context of their creation, during the rise/height of fascism and systemic oppression of European Jews, and how the Jewish cultural identity in America formed the modern superhero archetypes.

that's kind of a standard thing for Ashkenazi. They used names that didn't stick out. One thing you see to have missed, Rosenberg, Weinstein? Those are originally German names.