Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post

If I'm not wrong usually they cut a book when it sell less than 8,000 copies/monthly (more or less), because it is no more profitable.
    It's a DC book.

It will not get cut.

They are going to pack it in bundles like they are doing with the others. At least that was planned in September.

I would suspect 8,000 would be enough under normal circumstances. If that number included stores, schools and libraries. I am not sure if that includes outside the North America like the UK.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    […]
    This books was attacked before it came out.

Lead by the same trolls who HATE DC & Marvel books that dare feature someone not straight white and male as the lead.
    Folks who have not touched a DC or Marvel book in decades.
    Folks who are trying to use this book as a weapon to fire the flames of racism.
    Folks who are using this book to hype up their inferior stuff.
    Folks who don't give a BLEEP about how good or bad the book may be-they hate the book existence.

Folks who ONLY see Asian Bruce, Latino Selina, Gay Alfred and a black Dick Grayson-make all these folks white and you don't hear a PEEP about this book.
    They will be the same folks ROASTING the Aqualad book led by folks NASTIER than the ones we have seen.

Now criticism from those who have READ it is a different story.

However quality of story does not matter if hatred for the race and gender of the cast and especially the writer is constantly under fire.Then folks want to wonder why attracting new readers let alone talent is a battle.
    Excuse me but what user of this forum has dared say those things in this thread? It seems to me no one and because I think a person is responsible only for what he says, all my previous posts are meant to be a comment only about what it was written in this thread, where (like I have already said) nobody have did racist, homophobic, sexist comments.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Excuse me but what user of this forum has dared say those things in this thread? It seems to me no one and because I think a person is responsible only for what he says, all my previous posts are meant to be a comment only about what it was written in this thread, where (like I have already said) nobody have did racist, homophobic, sexist comments.
    Not here. By the sound of it, Twitter. People there are usually the ones who go straight to the writer's account and hurl abuse.

Youtube too, but they're usually content with making rant videos and create an echo chamber in the comment section.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Exactly and exactly for that reason I don't want bring here that madness: it would make all the discussions unbearable. Every my post is meant only to be related to what is written in this forum by its users.

My fear is that the world is full of industries dead because of few crazy experiments went wrong, because they didn't think enough about what they were doing and how.[
    I highly doubt you should have that fear over one book out of the dozens of Bat-books that come out yearly. Gotham High isn't going to be some nail in the coffin for Batman or DC or WB or AT&T. It won't even end the kids and YA line of books. And this is assuming it tanks horribly as the worst and least selling Bat-book ever, which I doubt is or will be the case.
    Honestly I think we are taking this way too seriously if we're talking about this in terms of industry ending mistakes.
    (Also off topic, the last part of your comment up there made me think of Jurassic Park).

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't see anybody criticize the idea to do some "exceptional outlier" and neither they are criticizing these books because they were successful (like it was said), what the people are criticizing is how these books are been written, how the plot was developed, how the characters were described and doing that they are also explaining the reasons behind their critics. Why? Because there is nothing wrong in doing these experiments (the success of the TV shows Smallville and Gotham proves that), but they must be well done and evidently there are various readers who think some of these experiments could have been done better.
    Are you sure? Because few if any seemed to have claimed to read this book in this thread. Mostly it seems like people don't like the concept of Bruce in School with Selina and Joker and the GCPD like Gordon as school faculty.

If I'm not wrong usually they cut a book when it sell less than 8,000 copies/monthly (more or less), because it is no more profitable.
    Thanks. Although that is "no more profitable" but doesn't say whether it was profitable as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's a book for KIDS. It's a Batman book. With a well known writer (at least to most folks).

It WILL see a return in its investment no matter how many folks scream it's an offensive abomination to them.

Libraries and schools will be ordering copies. As will Barnes & Nobles, Wal-Mart & Target.

Libraries and schools can or will get a different copy. They tend to be hardcover that you will only see outside of those places if they end up at a Half Price books or used book store.

I know Ms Marvel, Coates Black Panther, IDW's Star Trek and Power Pack had library editions. Hardcover versions exclusive to the libraries.
    Cool, so no sweat on it making a profit then (which means for DC it can't be labeled a mistake). The only real argument left to be made then is quality, and as that is a bit subjective the best way to find that out is to read it.

All-New Member

Interesting shift from discussion here, skyvolt2000, from quite sparing critisizms of poorly written and convoluted plot and characters in this thread - to some trolls and racists and sexists somewhere else making obviusly stupid and hateful comments, as they always do.

And about representation and diversity - hah... This book is actually doesn't give a damn about it.
    Want example? Bruce's mom from China is named Ma-Sha. This is literally trascrippted Martha through Google Translate, while name Masha is actually a short version of Maria in Russian.
    There is no enthnic name Ma-Sha in Chinese. And there are other examples of that in the book.

I would actually quite like if they made Bruce's ancestry more diverse in a totally belivable way - like making him Eurasian or part Eurasian. And great thing - it would totally fit with his every depiction. Just google how Eurasians look, they have looks that indicate historical mix of many races and ethnicities.

Right, author changed ethinicity of characters. I'm kinda confused why, but alright, that's recent trends, moving along with that.
    But what was the point of making Dick the same age as Bruce? Why?
    And just why there is a bat in Gothat High as a symbol? Why Alfred left Bruce after his parent's death, and didn't actually adopt him and take care of him as his close relative in this story, what where his priorities there?

All this shows that author doesn't know significance of this charatcer, just heard a name and ran along with it, making some weird changes along the way - that's bad story writing 101.

And, if you going for an Elsewhere story and change ethnicities of a characters - prove that you had put some thought in there, and did at least e a basic reseach - like how ethnic Chinese names actually look! And not translate them through Google Translate!
    Otherwise, it looks lazy and insulting. Telling it as a person who laughed my ass with fellow comrades over "I must bяeak you!!" and "cocainum!". Only sad, that it's Chinese turn now.
    Last edited by RLV_1996; 04-18-2020 at 08:42 PM.

I actually read the book (thank you Comixology), and it was actually pretty good. It was a typical young adult drama with Batman names. And that is exactly what DC wanted. So I don't get all the anger and discourse over it.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    I actually read the book (thank you Comixology), and it was actually pretty good. It was a typical young adult drama with Batman names. And that is exactly what DC wanted. So I don't get all the anger and discourse over it.
    That's why the anger I think - I could be wrong, but I feel some here look down on that stuff, especially for Batman. Even if it is an Elseworld for a YA audience and was exactly what WB/DC wanted.

I'm going to buy it for my birthday coming up I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's why the anger I think - I could be wrong, but I feel some here look down on that stuff, especially for Batman. Even if it is an Elseworld for a YA audience and was exactly what WB/DC wanted.

I'm going to buy it for my birthday coming up I think...
    I have no problem with a young adult drama using the Batman IP, I enjoyed Under The Moon and Nightwalker a lot, but some of the story beats and characterization in this seem like a bit too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have no problem with a young adult drama using the Batman IP, I enjoyed Under The Moon and Nightwalker a lot, but some of the story beats and characterization in this seem like a bit too much.
    I'm definitely going to read all these books and compare here. Bought Overdrive, Under the Moon, and Nightwalker today, and will buy Gotham High when I get some more money to spare. Looking forward to having a more informed opinion on these books!

I'm definitely going to read all these books and compare here. Bought Overdrive, Under the Moon, and Nightwalker today, and will buy Gotham High when I get some more money to spare. Looking forward to having a more informed opinion on these books!
    I have the Nightwalker novel. Should probably get around to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    I have the Nightwalker novel. Should probably get around to reading it.
    I get that. I bought the YA Mera last summer and still haven't read it. Should probably read that this week then...

I get that. I bought the YA Mera last summer and still haven't read it. Should probably read that this week then...
    Yeah, the reading experience is very much different for these graphic novels compared to normal floppies. It's not only the length, but the care that has been put into the narrative and its themes. Superman Smashes the Klan is a lot denser as a work than most in-continuity books, and Catwoman: Under the Moon is denser and thematically heavier still.

I think the DC Zoom and Ink lines is a huge indictment towards the DC mainline content. I think there is more consistently interesting stuff coming out from there than in Black Label (which obviously has had some great books, like Batman: Last Knight on Earth or Harleen, but to me seems to confuse sex and gore for maturity).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yeah, the reading experience is very much different for these graphic novels compared to normal floppies. It's not only the length, but the care that has been put into the narrative and its themes. Superman Smashes the Klan is a lot denser as a work than most in-continuity books, and Catwoman: Under the Moon is denser and thematically heavier still.

I think the DC Zoom and Ink lines is a huge indictment towards the DC mainline content. I think there is more consistently interesting stuff coming out from there than in Black Label (which obviously has had some great books, like Batman: Last Knight on Earth or Harleen, but to me seems to confuse sex and gore for maturity).
    I LOVED Superman Smashes the Klan and Harleen. DC is doing a lot of interesting stuff in their non mainline books.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

I think it's like comparing movies to ongoing TV shows.

Both have different lengths and different impacts that make for different viewing experiences, but that doesn't make one any less valid then the other. The ongoing serialized Catwoman is as valid and important as the young teenage Selina in Under the Moon.