Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default If there were Saturday morning cartoon spin offs for unlikely series

like Cheers, Friends, Fraiser, MASH, etc. with the goofy cliches (Fraiser has a magic pet, the Friends are accidentally launched into space, Cheers in set in Mother Goose Land, MASH is in the stone age). Isn't that nightmare fuel?

It actually did happen in the 70's and 80s....

Laverne and Shirley in the army, Fonz and the happy days Gang, Partridge family 2200, Alf Tales, Punky Brewster, Gilligan's planet etc.

Although often unconnected to their shows and movies, many 80's "family friendly" comedians also got saturday morning cartoons. Lil' Rosey (Roseanne Barr) Louie (Louise Anderson) Camp Candy (John Candy) Rick Moranis in Gravedale High etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Yep, that's I meant, only with highly unlikely series, because they premiered after the trend was over or were more adult than Laverne and Shirley, etc. I can picture Ross and Rachel and Chandler and Monica and Joey and Phoebe forming a band and travelling the world solving mysteries with their cowardly pet Veloceraptor...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It actually did happen in the 70's and 80s....

Laverne and Shirley in the army, Fonz and the happy days Gang, Partridge family 2200, Alf Tales, Punky Brewster, Gilligan's planet etc.

Although often unconnected to their shows and movies, many 80's "family friendly" comedians also got saturday morning cartoons. Lil' Rosey (Roseanne Barr) Louie (Louise Anderson) Camp Candy (John Candy) Rick Moranis in Gravedale High etc.
    The Karate Kid, Little Shop of Horrors, Jumanji, Ace Ventura, The Mask, Godzilla (1990s version), Napoleon Dynamite, Problem Child all had cartoons.So did Rambo Friday (yes the Ice Cube stoner movie), and Robocop of all things.

Not from a particular show but Muhammad Ali, Mr. T, Chuck Norris and Jackie Chan have all had cartoons.

The best imo will always be The Real Ghostbusters.

Some how I can envision all of the Cheers gang shouting "Norm" in a sonic vibration attack.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    like Cheers, Friends, Fraiser, MASH, etc. with the goofy cliches (Fraiser has a magic pet, the Friends are accidentally launched into space, Cheers in set in Mother Goose Land, MASH is in the stone age). Isn't that nightmare fuel?

Well, MASH didn't have an official spinoff cartoon, but the segment from 1975's Uncle Croc's Block called MUSH was inspired by it.

Uncle Croc's Block was a sendup of kids' local variety shows and was hosted by Charles Nelson Reilly as Uncle Croc.

The show also included the cartoon shorts:

- M*U*S*H (short for Mangy Unwanted Shabby Heroes): Sled dogs (voiced by Kenneth Mars and Robert Ridgely) work at a medical outpost in the frozen wasteland of Upper Saboonia. This cartoon is a lampoon of M*A*S*H.
    - Fraidy Cat: Fraidy Cat (voiced by Alan Oppenheimer) is haunted by the ghosts of eight of his nine lives (each voiced by Lennie Weinrib).
    - Wacky and Packy: A prehistoric caveman and his pet woolly mammoth (both voiced by Allan Melvin) end up trapped in modern times.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The Karate Kid, Little Shop of Horrors, Jumanji, Ace Ventura, The Mask, Godzilla (1990s version), Napoleon Dynamite, Problem Child all had cartoons.So did Rambo Friday (yes the Ice Cube stoner movie), and Robocop of all things.

Not from a particular show but Muhammad Ali, Mr. T, Chuck Norris and Jackie Chan have all had cartoons.

The best imo will always be The Real Ghostbusters.
    There were some initial plans for Jurassic Park and Aliens cartoons as well, but they fell through. There's a Jurassic World one being worked on for Netflix I guess, although who knows what status that has now.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

I just remembered MASH was parodied on Futurama, with a robot Hawkeye that went from comicial to maudlin literally at the flick of a switch. But that was prime time. I forgot all the other spin offs 'cause my mind gets stuck in the 70's, sometimes.

Dukes of hazzard cartoon had them in a around the world race! (general lee now has knight rider stuff like tires that can drive on cliffs!) Also season one had troy and vance and season 2 had bo and luke!

Punky Brewster cartoon had a magic creature. The creature is the most requested thing for the new reboot series coming out by the way!

Brady kids had them going to other worlds and teaming up with superman, lone ranger, mission magic and wonder woman with a magic talking bird!

Partridge family was a spin-off of the jetsons and had them in the future!

House party had a cartoon! That's all I need to say there!

Bewitched had them teaming up with a singing clown family!

Munsters had the kids as older teens and in a rock band!

it's trippy to think on how the shows that were produced came about

as far as what shows, hmm:

I'll go with this angle: some family-themed shows that maybe possibly could have been done rather than just going totally random:

The Cosby Show: in the years before "the scandal" was unearthed, this would have been a good candidate- specifically focusing on the younger kids- Sondra was arguably too grown; but had the show premiered early enough, maybe focus on Denise, Theo, Vanessa and Rudy. Maybe they had an animal sidekick (but what? Rudy's gold fish died.. hmm..) To add more boys, maybe add Theo's buddy Walter/Cockroach and Rudy's buddy Kenny aka 'Bud'. Given the show's pedigree, it probably would have every show be a "message" of some kind like Fat Albert. Don't look for kids outsmarting adults.

Family matters: Again focusing on the kids- Laura, Eddie, Steve, Richie, neighbor Waldo... the "vanishing" daughter probably wouldn't have been included unless production ramped up by the end of the first season. Wild world traveling adventures. convenient inventions by Steve.

Fresh Prince of Bel Air: Focusing on Will, Carlton, Ashley, Hilary, but maybe the whole family. maybe this would be the candidate for the "space" treatment, lol. Planet West Philly to Planet Bel Air? The dog has hip-hop accessories of some kind, like a hanging hat.

Sister Sister: Tia and Tamera were a big deal for many years. This would probably focus on just the two of them.

Moesha: might last a season or two, focusing on just the kids.

Webster: I'm surprised that there wasn't a show based on Emmanuel Lewis back then, whether it was on Webster or not.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 04-14-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Law & Order: Child Care Unit

I'm honestly surprised Gremlins never got a cartoon series.

It seems like it would be such an easy one to do and Gremlins 2 was a big hit aimed at kids.

"Breaking Bad" - Jesse and Walt zooming around the world in a magical Winnebago making "magical blue candy." Walt would teach kids about science, Jesse would throw out gems in outdated "kidspeak" like, "YOLO Mr White!"

Game of Thrones in the style of Dungeons & Dragons, but with a lost kid from Earth trying to find their way "home".

I'm honestly surprised Gremlins never got a cartoon series.
    https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/...to-Late_1980s)

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/gre...m-warnermedia/

It seems like it would be such an easy one to do and Gremlins 2 was a big hit aimed at kids.
    Gremlins 2 did not do that well at the box office coming in 4th place on it's first week! (I still saw it opening weekend!)

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releas...20897/weekend/
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-15-2020 at 07:02 PM.