Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I think she is like Smallville, a part of Superman's past that informs the man he is today but like Smallvile something Superman has moved on from.

And since Superman is now married with a kid, you can't even go the love triangle route, Silver Age comics did.

Just looked this up. Well, they never tried to be subtle, I'll admit that.
    LL.jpg

Though the "biggest headache" and "threatening to find out and reveal" bits remind me again one of the reasons I dislike this era of Superman/boy.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Just looked this up. Well, they never tried to be subtle, I'll admit that.

Though the "biggest headache" and "threatening to find out and reveal" bits remind me again one of the reasons I dislike this era of Superman/boy.
    That the splash page is on the corner of Lane St. really pushes it over the edge to absolute hilarity.

Of course, it's meant to be funny. If you're reading these comics for serious drama you've come to the wrong drug store, my friend. These are funny books and unabashedly so. Just sit back and let the comedy gold bathe you in its warm light.

Of course, it's meant to be funny. If you're reading these comics for serious drama you've come to the wrong drug store, my friend. These are funny books and unabashedly so. Just sit back and let the comedy gold bathe you in its warm light.
    I don't generally find humiliation funny. And there's a lot of humiliation for Lois in these. Plus, yeah, I think several characters come off pathetic and/or evil. Pathetic isn't funny, generally speaking. Evil can be, but only if they're supposed to be evil.

I agree that making her an engineer/Hero etc is a bit much and there is a dearth of "ordinary" supporting cast members. So I figured out a way to keep Lana fairly down to earth, yet still be involved with Clarks modern day life.

She can look after the Fortress. Not 24/7. Something like once or twice a week she activates a macguffin and teleports there to check on things. All the super tech is guarded off from her, because she's a normal person and that **** is dangerous, but she just feeds his zoo, makes sure the tempatures right and the robots arent going nuts.

Lana as Superman's Alfred? I don't think that is the best scope for the character.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Lana as Superman's Alfred? I don't think that is the best scope for the character.
    She's not the Alfred as such, its more an avenue for her to interact with him more regularly and give her an outlet for B-plots and one shot books. Theres alot of shenanigans that can happen.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Lana is too bland to be alfred. Heck! Ma and pa are more bland compared to alfred. No character in superman mythos can be alfred. Maybe perry, or if he was given more to work with.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Superman doesn't need Alfred. He has Kelex to curate so that his biggest supporting character, Lois, is free to be bigger than Alfred. Funny it comes up here given Lana's museum curator role in Red Son.

I think Superman compares a little more to Spider-Man when it comes to having the likes of Lana around. Batman isn't so concerned with people irrelevant to his mission.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

In that sense, it can be right. Batman most important characters are those who connect with his crusade against cime. For Superman, the important characters are those connected to Clark Kent. His human connection. And Lana could play a role there.

You know what I thought about? Maybe DC could publish a limited series set in Smallville to explore the early years of Superman but in a nod to the Smallville TV series, with the mysterious/urban legend Superboy meanwhile he was in training. But with a mystery akin of Stranger things. With Lana in a role in that adventure. That could be interesting.

Maybe that is the kkey: rebuilt Lana as a character in Smallville before determinate her later role in Metropolis.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Maybe that is the kkey: rebuilt Lana as a character in Smallville before determinate her later role in Metropolis.
    That to me is the key to a lot of Superman's problem. Since the end of the Triangle Era everyone has a murky background.

We know Lois and Clark have a great love story- but where is it? post-Wedding we had Birthright and Secret Origins redefine Superman's life, but the actual marriage was just sort of there. New52 removed the relationship and replaced with Superman/Wonder Woman. The Rebirth reverted to the marriage already in progress. Have we seen the courtship and engagement presented in the last 20 years?

Outside of Lana do we know anyone Clark grew up with? Is Kenny Braverman still in continuity? With lana having the role of secret keeper, is there a Pete Ross and if so why (i.e. what is his role)?

Have any writers actually developed Planet staffers that Clark works with? I mean ones other than their own new addtions (Bendis' Trish Q and Robinson Goode) or cameos (Cat Grant and Steve Lombard for more than 3 panels)?

We really need in-continuity "Untold Tales" to show Superman/Clark developing relationships with a consistent supporting cast. Things like giving Lana and other Smallville residents developed hooks for use in present stories.

The entire "Clark Kent" side of his life has been practically ignored since the 00's, it seems like. That Lois & Clark series, and then Tomasi, focused a lot on Superman as a father, but there was damn little "Clark Kent as a father" in there, and we've still yet to really see how having a kid impacts the Kents' careers.

I still miss Lombard and Ron Troupe, but I do like the new characters Bendis has brought in, and Maggie Sawyer is back. Gotta say I'm surprised Bendis hasn't written Bibbo yet. At least Jimmy, Perry, the Planet and even Metropolis are getting more attention now, that's been real nice.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

In that sense, it can be right. Batman most important characters are those who connect with his crusade against cime. For Superman, the important characters are those connected to Clark Kent. His human connection. And Lana could play a role there.

You know what I thought about? Maybe DC could publish a limited series set in Smallville to explore the early years of Superman but in a nod to the Smallville TV series, with the mysterious/urban legend Superboy meanwhile he was in training. But with a mystery akin of Stranger things. With Lana in a role in that adventure. That could be interesting.

That's not exactly correct, superman himself does talk to people. It's one of the traits of the character that hasn't changed from the very beginning. He likes to say "good day" or something like that even if he is on the run from the police or something. It is one of the charms of the guy. Heck! He would even say "good day" to the police that tries to get him. That was one of the fun parts about the character. He would regularly talk to people, know their problems and stuff, not as a high and mighty example or a teacher. But, as a friend. Clark kent persona on the other hand didn't much have an existence outside dailystar or planet, especially outside of lois and jimmy. Even if its true, clark kent persona is supposed to be very timid and introverted in most iterations. It stands to reason that the persona wouldn't make much friends or people would barely notice the existence of the guy.As for real clark, his friends and famiy are back home in Smallville.Where lana is supposed to be. In Metropolis, that guy makes friends as superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The entire "Clark Kent" side of his life has been practically ignored since the 00's, it seems like. That Lois & Clark series, and then Tomasi, focused a lot on Superman as a father, but there was damn little "Clark Kent as a father" in there, and we've still yet to really see how having a kid impacts the Kents' careers.

I still miss Lombard and Ron Troupe, but I do like the new characters Bendis has brought in, and Maggie Sawyer is back. Gotta say I'm surprised Bendis hasn't written Bibbo yet. At least Jimmy, Perry, the Planet and even Metropolis are getting more attention now, that's been real nice.
    Didn't we see that? There was the whole conversations about lois rejoining daily planet. The kid used to be left in the house alone. Which was also a plot point, as the kid started his mischief . Furthermore, unless there is some journalism or some comedy regarding lombard and troupe. I don't think there is much point. As for, bibbo. I think of him as more of a superman's friend than clark kent's. He is the best thing out of postcrisis stories. Heck! I like to think of that guy as the superman himself. Tomasi did use him in the first arc as the bar owner, when Eradicator attacked. He was also ecstatic as the new superman took charge or returned or whatever.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-15-2020 at 10:11 PM.

is Lana currently married? children of her own?

The thread "WILL WE EVER SEE LANA LANG AS SUPERWOMAN AGAIN?" made me think about which role plays Lana Lang in the modern Superman mythology. Or which she could play.

Her last appearance was as weird Superwoman who resembled like the electrical female version of Superman red/Superman Blue event after gained powers from the death of the Lois Lane from the New52 era.
    Ehh? No. Thats not even what.... *sigh* Please read at least vol. 1 and try again