Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I thought she already had become, at least to some degree. Was that just print - I don't really follow Lana.
    Yes. She indeed is again a writer, but for the Daily Star.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

As other have said, Lana is basically dependent on the goals for Lois and Clark/Superman for what her role is supposed to be.

I generally find the idea of her being a rival for Superman’s present affections boringly tired and trite, even if they modify her to try and differentiate her away from Lois. I mean, she’s still his “L.L” love interest then, and not even a mermaid or from Krypton, or even bald headed and evil. Anything you would do to differentiate her from Lois is basically the kind f stuff you could just do to change-up Lois herself.

I’m always more open to the idea of her as his amicably old ex-girlfriend who just grew apart from him as time went on, and is a confidante now. It’s how I was introduced to the character, and I think it makes her somewhat more unique than just being Lois-but-not, because at least then her function is different.

I would like to see someone maybe have her be a TV reporter and rival to Lois, but in a strictly professional way where there’s not even a hint of cattiness about Clark. Have Lois be the in-the-trenches field reporter and dedicated print-idealist who doesn’t really like being on TV, and Lana as a sit-down interview type of newshound and showman, so that half the time she and Lois are egging each other on in a “investigation” versus “educate” view of news media, but every once in a while team up and annihilate some poor schmuck.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

The problem is that her role in pre-Metropolis life for Clark needs to inform her present. If they dated seriously then their interactions have a different dynamic then if they were platonic pals. If Clark going off to Metropolis (or to see the world) was just like Pete Ross doing the same then Lana has a different view than if she'd been thinking she was the future Mrs Clark Kent of Smallville prior to Clark's leaving.
    Oh, I agree on that account. I'm just saying that either version is workable. And with either version, she can slot easily into Clark's past. I find her slotting into Clark's present a trickier proposition. It's not where she was originally intended to be, and I don't think she's typically transitioned to the present all that well. At least, not when she's most directly involved in Clark's life.

Clark never wavers in choosing Lois, but neither woman is ever 100% sure that Clark might not harbor some regrets about "what might have been".
    But that makes Lois a bit insecure, and - if it never goes away - a bit unhappy all her life. And Lana is, too. While Clark gets to be both happy and secure. Benefits of being a main character, I guess, but not fond of the idea.

The other approach would be to play up the Bronze Age Lana and her similarities to the more b*tchy versions of Car Grant. Lana left Smallville and did make a name for herself (just not as a reporter) and approaches Clark as someone who was hers to lose and is still hers to reclaim. Lois is no competition (in Lana's mind) and Clark will see that. Lana us more interested in being Mrs. Superman than Mrs. Kent. This wouldn't be my approach, but it does have some precedent (mostly the late 70's-early 80's).
    While it wouldn't be my choice, either, I can see the appeal of that sort of storyline to some (though actual Lana fans may not like her pathetically chasing him for her entire life). There are two main issues - firstly, when does it happen? When Clark is 6 months in to being Superman or when Clark is 15 years in and married with a kid? One of those makes Lana look more obsessive (and stupid) than the other. And also leaves the question of why she didn't move sooner, and makes her far less of any sort of actual competition. The second issue to me is that is a very finite storyline - it can only go on so long. What do you do with her after the storyline is finished?

One thing is that if Lana isn't going to be with Clark (and I don't think she is), then I would prefer she move on. I'm not saying she can't still be friends with him, but I am saying her carrying a torch her whole life or even have him as the platonic but still most important person in her life is not to my taste. While he is the main character, the audience shouldn't feel like he's the sun she orbits around. I actually feel that way about most supporting characters - that we should definitely feel like they have lives and loved ones outside the pages of the comic and don't exist just to fulfill the emotional needs of the main characters. I mean, obviously, they're created to be supporting characters, but they shouldn't act like they know that. They should think and behave as though they are stars in their own show, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-12-2020 at 02:30 PM.

This is a good question. I have wondered the same thing. I like that Superman Red Son included her in interesting ways. She definitely shouldn't be a copy of Lois Lane. She should be her own person. I liked that Superman 3 included her. Sure, not as a love interest once he leaves Smallville, but as a childhood friend to Clark. Someone who was also deeply touched by knowing Clark and potentially Superman. I'm sure there is more quality stuff a good writer could do with her. I'd like to see her on occasion.

Greg Pak's Lana was an interesting take on the character. In the grand scheme of things, his Lana was pretty unique. I can't say I loved his Lana, but I appreciate what Pak tried to do. It's certainly better than Chuck Austen's disastrous Lana, but Austen comes from the school that Lana is a better match for Superman than Lois, and that's a particular can of worms I won't go into other than I disagree. Byrne's quasi-tragic take on the character made me care about Lana, but it might've been a bit too much for my liking. Having her undergo torture to preserve Clark's secret often comes across as too much of a sacrifice one friend made for another. And I think some of the pre-Crisis stuff where she was basically Auburn Lois is too degenerative of a take on the character.

I think Superman III mostly gets it right with the idea that both Lana and Clark moved on with their lives, though I think it's best if they had a strong bond as a kid, and I probably lean toward romantic. If you insisted on making her some kind of rival for Lois, I think STAS got it right in the episode when Clark uses Lana as an alibi for how Clark Kent survived a car bomb, but it was clear there was no real competition and was more of a funny way to tease Lois who has trouble with her own feelings. With a lot of Superman's mythos, the best possible take is often taking bits and pieces of different iterations, and Lana's no exception.

My personal favorite Lana moment is still probably when her baby was abducted, and after Superman saved him she and Pete named their son "Clark." Then Chuck Austen ruined the moment...

Probably my only controversial hot take, if it's controversial at all, is that I don't really need to see her show up often. Her biggest impact is on Clark's past, and less the present.

So quick recap of what I like about various Lana interpretations:
    1) She always treated Clark kindly.
    2) She and Clark were close-knit friends (Man of Steel blew it here).
    3) They probably dated; I'd limit the melodrama, though.
    4) Assuming 3), it's mostly behind the two. No homewreckers.
    5) She's not a Lois clone.

EDIT: Okay, I'm going to dial back a bit on 4) above. I think it's okay for Superman or Lana to wonder for one issue out of a continuity about "What if?" Lois' "What if?" was the only story of "Grounded" I found readable, and I think a tastefully-done story for Clark or Lana is A-OK.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 04-13-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Not reading the whole thread, but as far as I'm concerned Lana's role in the mythos is as that childhood/high school crush you love more than anything....until you go to college and/or get out of your hometown.

Lana is important to Clark's development and childhood. But there's no reason for her to be a part of his life as an adult. I won't complain if Clark visits Smallville and she's there, but I don't want or need Lana having a role any bigger than that. And pretty much every attempt to bring her into Clark's adult life has rung hollow as hell to me. I especially hate it when she's written as never having got over Clark. I mean, I get it, you used to date Superman and let him slip through your fingers. That must suck. But Lana still being hung up on him is a pretty awful way to handle it and makes her seem like a loser.

That said, I did really dig what Pak was doing with her. If she has to be a part of Clark's life as an adult, then her being an engineer is as good as anything else I've seen with her. I don't need her becoming a world class genius, as eventually happened when she started keeping up with John Irons. But the concept of Lana as an engineer had potential.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I appreciate what Pak tried, she's a character just sitting there. It's hard to find something to do with her without messing up the fact that she's am average woman from a small town.

Giving her electric powers wasn't such a big issue anyway, but that and her relationship with John Henry was depicted to be bigger than they were actually developed to be. It was like when they write a series to protect a copyright or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

My personal favorite Lana moment is still probably when her baby was abducted, and after Superman saved him she and Pete named their son "Clark." Then Chuck Austen ruined the moment...
    How? Pete and Lana were friends with Clark, but giving the kid his name would never not be weird given the way she once felt about him.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That said, I did really dig what Pak was doing with her. If she has to be a part of Clark's life as an adult, then her being an engineer is as good as anything else I've seen with her. I don't need her becoming a world class genius, as eventually happened when she started keeping up with John Irons. But the concept of Lana as an engineer had potential.
    I think that's a general failing in the genre. If you find "failing" too harsh, then I'll say there aren't enough good stories about the ordinary people around Superman. Not all of the people around him (besides the JLA) needs to have some world-class, superlative trait.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    How? Pete and Lana were friends with Clark, but giving the kid his name would never not be weird given the way she once felt about him.
    Understood. I can sympathize with not liking the decision for Lana and Pete to name their kid "Clark." However, I don't like the way Austen completely retconned why they named him Clark, claiming that he's just named after Martha's maiden name. Plus, the way Austen framed the narrative, it kind of comes across more as though Lana's probably lying about the rationale (though IMO the reason she gives is so unbelievable my mind probably just processes it as a bald-faced lie than matter of fact).

If you're concerned the naming of their kid "Clark" is awkward, I'd say Austen really dialed up the discomfort level with his interpretation.

I think that's a general failing in the genre. If you find "failing" too harsh, then I'll say there aren't enough good stories about the ordinary people around Superman. Not all of the people around him (besides the JLA) needs to have some world-class, superlative trait.
    No, I think "failing" is a pretty apt word.

And I think it's a failing that goes beyond Superman and infects the whole industry. Hell, over at Marvel it seems like most heroes don't even know "normal" people anymore.

Lana being a engineer was solid and interesting. Lana being a engineer who could keep up with super geniuses like John Irons was just generic and boring.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

No, I think "failing" is a pretty apt word.

And I think it's a failing that goes beyond Superman and infects the whole industry. Hell, over at Marvel it seems like most heroes don't even know "normal" people anymore.

Lana being a engineer was solid and interesting. Lana being a engineer who could keep up with super geniuses like John Irons was just generic and boring.
    In recent decades there really has been a decline in truly civilian supporting cast members (or tertiary, word-filling recurring characters) in comics. Some still exist, but mostly those created long ago.

For the dating thing;
    I'd have the two amicably split coming to conclusion they're better as friends then dating (avoids any possible "home wrecker" status). Lana remains a close friend, even with Lois, and becomes someone whom the Kents trust that isn't in a cape.

Has anyone strong feelings on whether or not and when Lana should know Superman is Clark (whether or not he was Superboy in Smallville plays in there). For a while, of course, Pete was an unknown secret-keeper and Lana was..well, she knew, but she didn't "know." But then later, she'd been told when they were 18.

And as an adult does she live in Metropolis? In Smallville? In Indianapolis? Each of those gives her a different level of involvement in Clark's life (also whether or not his parents are alive if she's a Smallville-dweller).

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, I get that, too. I don't think being a regular person from Smallville is a bad thing if it's something you're willing to write, but trying to find a way to "make it interesting" is an uphill battle if you're not content with showcasing relatively average people.

Understood. I can sympathize with not liking the decision for Lana and Pete to name their kid "Clark." However, I don't like the way Austen completely retconned why they named him Clark, claiming that he's just named after Martha's maiden name. Plus, the way Austen framed the narrative, it kind of comes across more as though Lana's probably lying about the rationale (though IMO the reason she gives is so unbelievable my mind probably just processes it as a bald-faced lie than matter of fact).

If you're concerned the naming of their kid "Clark" is awkward, I'd say Austen really dialed up the discomfort level with his interpretation.
    Yeah it was definitely just something she said. The dialed up drama unfortunately didn't work out for a guy whose bad rep involved wildly out of character shock value moments, but I think it was still along the idea that Lana just wasn't a good relationship person.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

In recent decades there really has been a decline in truly civilian supporting cast members (or tertiary, word-filling recurring characters) in comics. Some still exist, but mostly those created long ago.
    Yes, that is something bothers me too. It is like superheroes had become somekind of royalty or close society who only leads with other superspeople, uncapable to relate to regular folks. There are exceptions but it is good to see more regular support characters of interest. I am glad to see Melody Moore as a new cast member.

Has anyone strong feelings on whether or not and when Lana should know Superman is Clark (whether or not he was Superboy in Smallville plays in there). For a while, of course, Pete was an unknown secret-keeper and Lana was..well, she knew, but she didn't "know." But then later, she'd been told when they were 18.
    There I have some doubts. One of the aspects of the post crisis Lana is, in some way, she became the guilt of Superman. In pre-Crisis Superman had two relevant feelings of failure: one, he had not could save his parents of their death, whatever the cause; second, he couldn't save his friend Lex of falling in the dark side and becoming a villian. With those two guilt motivations gone away, Lana became the responsability and fear for Superman: Lana had became the failure of having a relationship or a normal life for Clark because Superman was something else, something greater. That had damaged Lana and had made her carry with that. She had become an alert about how Superman could damage those close to him, even if he doesn't want to. Like the sun: it brings life and light, but close to him you will burn.
    (Ok, after he marries Lois, that has not so much sense, but that was the motive in the first days after Byrne's Man of Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    For the dating thing;
    I'd have the two amicably split coming to conclusion they're better as friends then dating (avoids any possible "home wrecker" status). Lana remains a close friend, even with Lois, and becomes someone whom the Kents trust that isn't in a cape.
    Definitively not as a home-wrecker status. But I hardly see her as a confident for Lois.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

In pre-Crisis Superman had two relevant feelings of failure: one, he had not could save his parents of their death, whatever the cause; second, he couldn't save his friend Lex of falling in the dark side and becoming a villian.
    I never liked Lex retconned into Clark's past or being his friend, anyway. Or really for Clark have any guilt/failure over his parents' deaths or being unable to save them (v. the more natural deaths originally depicted in passing that he never felt like he should have been able to stop), so that doesn't matter to me.

Definitively not as a home-wrecker status. But I hardly see her as a confident for Lois.
    While Lois can certainly be friends with some in Clark's circle/superhero circle in general, I would like to shy away from the idea of her using his circle as her circle. I understand if we can't follow her outside him as much (he's the title character, at least in one title), I think she needs her own confidants and friends. Not Selina because she's with Clark's friend Bruce or Diana or Lana because they are Clark's friends. Yes, casual friendship is fine. Occasional conversation on superhero subjects that can't be talked about with those not in the know. But she shouldn't be dependent on Clark for all her emotional links. Like I've said before, supporting characters still think they are the stars in their own lives. They should have their own friends, even if we don't see them that often. Lucy could fulfill that role (well, sometimes - she's varied a lot). Even some other friend(s) that either don't work at the DP or aren't deeply tied to Clark somehow. Just ones that aren't defacto inherited from Clark and ultimately about Clark. Particularly, her bff, if she has one, shoudn't be that.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-14-2020 at 10:38 AM.