Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Whatever role she plays, she needs to not be bitter she let Superman slip through her fingers. Is she still an engineer with John Henry Irons? That's not a bad niche for her to fill, though I kind of like the idea of her remaining in Smallville and becoming an important figure there, perhaps a mayor or sheriff or something. Someone who is relatively ordinary but actively doing something to help her community, perhaps inspired by her friend and ex-boyfriend, Clark.

Ultimately, though, I think she has to be someone who moved on and made something of herself. Engineer, mayor, what have you, she had to accomplish something. I don't think Clark would really fall for a woman who wasn't in some way a self-motivator with a bright future, even if he doesn't know it. All the women that inspire him have always been those who forged their own path, and I don't feel Lana would be an exception. Not saying she couldn't just settle down with a family and 9-to-5, but she absolutely would have moved on from Clark and not hold any ill will. I imagine they still keep in touch as friends, though very infrequently. Probably a few emails a year or some messages on WayneBook or something. She totally would have gone to the Kent-Lane wedding and been happy for both of them.

Unless we're going back to ye olde relationship drama, which please no.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Ehh? No. Thats not even what.... *sigh* Please read at least vol. 1 and try again
    Explain then.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Explain then.
    She and n52 Lois gained powers from the dying n52 Superman. Both are Superwoman at the beginning of Vol 1. Lois wears a more traditional Superman outfit.

I did it. Thanks to DC Universe, I found an example of everything Lana shouldn't be in one neat package. Action Comics #819. I was having difficulty remembering the issue until just a short while ago. Lana is reduced to a mouthpiece for slandering the marriage and unable to move on from her high school romance with Clark. She's going so far as to almost kiss an unconscious married man. It's just so sad to see her that way and not what I want for Lana Lang.

The Reis artwork was nice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I did it. Thanks to DC Universe, I found an example of everything Lana shouldn't be in one neat package. Action Comics #819. I was having difficulty remembering the issue until just a short while ago. Lana is reduced to a mouthpiece for slandering the marriage and unable to move on from her high school romance with Clark. She's going so far as to almost kiss an unconscious married man. It's just so sad to see her that way and not what I want for Lana Lang.

The Reis artwork was nice, though.
    That run effectively ended Chuck Austen’s comic writing career. Guy went from writing Uncanny X-Men to Action Comics and then basically blacklisted. There’s and old CBR article on it where he says DC basically was getting calls from retailers saying they would not order any Superman comics until he was replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That run effectively ended Chuck Austen’s comic writing career. Guy went from writing Uncanny X-Men to Action Comics and then basically blacklisted. There’s and old CBR article on it where he says DC basically was getting calls from retailers saying they would not order any Superman comics until he was replaced.
    It was a very weird run with some nice art by Reis. I'll give him one thing. He really did try to put the Action in Action Comics, if memory serves. All I remember of that run was pretty art, tons of fighting and doing whatever he could to cast doubt on the marriage. I don't want to make this a Chuck Austen dogpile, so I'll leave it at that.

Back to Lana. The more I think about it, the more I don't really want her to move to Metropolis long-term or become someone "big." I kind of like her staying in Smallville but becoming "big" there. I suggested earlier that she become a mayor or sheriff and I've taken a bit to the latter. Metropolis has a pretty sizable *******ing cast already, including the additions Bendis brought in, so developing Smallville as something more than a shrinking glimmer in the rear-view mirror would be nice.

EDIT: Is *******ing a banned word now? What happened?

as long as some writer's "edgy" take isn't to treat her like Frank Miller treated Karen Page when he wrote Born Again... That would be pretty bad.

Same role as Wondy currently his best female friend that he once had stronger feelings for.

It was a very weird run with some nice art by Reis. I'll give him one thing. He really did try to put the Action in Action Comics, if memory serves. All I remember of that run was pretty art, tons of fighting and doing whatever he could to cast doubt on the marriage. I don't want to make this a Chuck Austen dogpile, so I'll leave it at that.

Back to Lana. The more I think about it, the more I don't really want her to move to Metropolis long-term or become someone "big." I kind of like her staying in Smallville but becoming "big" there. I suggested earlier that she become a mayor or sheriff and I've taken a bit to the latter. Metropolis has a pretty sizable *******ing cast already, including the additions Bendis brought in, so developing Smallville as something more than a shrinking glimmer in the rear-view mirror would be nice.

EDIT: Is *******ing a banned word now? What happened?
    I actually recall liking the first issue of this run quite a bit at the time. The action was good and the art by Reis throughout was incredible. But the further into the storyline the worse it got, and this is probably quite literally the the lowest point of Lana's characterization. I think it pretty much got ignored completely by the time Infinite Crisis rolled around and Busiek rehabbed her character into the CEO of Lex Corp.

But on art alone, this whole weird in-between era across the three titles was pretty great considering you had Jim Lee on Superman, Reis on Action Comics, and Matthew Clark on Adventures of Superman. Matthew Clark in particular remains one of my favorite Superman artists and his run on here with Rucka is a favorite as well. It's annoying they don't have those issues of Adventures up on DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I actually recall liking the first issue of this run quite a bit at the time. The action was good and the art by Reis throughout was incredible. But the further into the storyline the worse it got, and this is probably quite literally the the lowest point of Lana's characterization. I think it pretty much got ignored completely by the time Infinite Crisis rolled around and Busiek rehabbed her character into the CEO of Lex Corp.
    I understand it's not a great leap of logic that the former second-lady (and I guess first-lady) of the US would assume such a high role in corporate society, so I don't take strong issue with Busiek's decision here. He's following the groundwork that was laid in front of him, but this kind of goes back to the argument that comics often struggle in incorporating non-meta human characters. The normies simply aren't allowed to be normal. If they are in the story, they have to have some superlative quality, skill, or class position.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I understand it's not a great leap of logic that the former second-lady (and I guess first-lady) of the US would assume such a high role in corporate society, so I don't take strong issue with Busiek's decision here. He's following the groundwork that was laid in front of him, but this kind of goes back to the argument that comics often struggle in incorporating non-meta human characters. The normies simply aren't allowed to be normal. If they are in the story, they have to have some superlative quality, skill, or class position.
    Yeah, it bugs me too that everyone has to be special with respect to supporting cast. I thought the idea was contrast, or at the very least grounding. With Lana in particular it's why I'm gravitating more and more to making her a hometown hero who isn't particularly important in the grand scheme of things; a sheriff fits that super well. She can make a direct impact on the lives of those around her but isn't going to appear on national news broadcasts. It's a high post for a normal person but does allow her range to showcase her innate talents, morality and overall be useful for storytelling.

Alas, everyone has to be leading the field in some respect. How dare someone not be turned up to eleven in my cape comics. I'm forming a petition. Who is with me?

Astonishing Member

Yeah, it bugs me too that everyone has to be special with respect to supporting cast. I thought the idea was contrast, or at the very least grounding. With Lana in particular it's why I'm gravitating more and more to making her a hometown hero who isn't particularly important in the grand scheme of things; a sheriff fits that super well. She can make a direct impact on the lives of those around her but isn't going to appear on national news broadcasts. It's a high post for a normal person but does allow her range to showcase her innate talents, morality and overall be useful for storytelling.
    Not sure about Lana as a sheriff. Nothing in any of her various incarnations really struck me as being law-enforcement. Superwoman struck me more as Lana having powers and trying to make a difference rather than her having a strong drive to deal with crime. If she isn't going to be the small-town girl/farmwife incarnation from the immediate Post-Crisis, I'd go for the Superman TAS idea of her as a fashion designer over her being any type of action figure. Not that i find the fashion designer a great idea, but is one where she isn't taking character cues from Lois or Clark (reporter, adventurer, crime fighter).

Alas, everyone has to be leading the field in some respect. How dare someone not be turned up to eleven in my cape comics. I'm forming a petition. Who is with me?
    I've been on the same "we need more average joe supporting cast members" for a while now. I'll gladly sign the petition.

I've been on the same "we need more average joe supporting cast members" for a while now. I'll gladly sign the petition.
    I definitely agree with the sentiment. The DP is a difficult place for it, in that it's for so long been treated as the best newspaper, so many there should be quite successful in their field. Police officers and other supporting cast give options, though. And it's certainly doable for some other Supers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I definitely agree with the sentiment. The DP is a difficult place for it, in that it's for so long been treated as the best newspaper, so many there should be quite successful in their field. Police officers and other supporting cast give options, though. And it's certainly doable for some other Supers.
    With the Planet, I have two problems.

First, I don't know when the superlatives started, but I don't see why the staff need to be anything beyond average overall. Lois can be a great reporter without being a nationally recognized name in universe. And the others (Cat, Ron, Steve, Jimmy and now Robinson Goode & the ex-gossip columnist) can vary from people coming down from being big names to people trying to get their names out there.

Second, why would the Planet be the best? Even if we accept Lois and Clark as the two of the top ten reporters alive (see above), does it really make sense that the other eight positions (or even 11-20) would somehow ALL or MOSTLY) be clustered at a single paper?

First, I don't know when the superlatives started, but I don't see why the staff need to be anything beyond average overall. Lois can be a great reporter without being a nationally recognized name in universe. And the others (Cat, Ron, Steve, Jimmy and now Robinson Goode & the ex-gossip columnist) can vary from people coming down from being big names to people trying to get their names out there.
    I don't know when it started, but I know it's been that way a while. I wouldn't say the Daily Star was that. Mind you, there's been competition for spots on big papers for a long time. So the prominent reporters at big papers should theoretically be very, very good. Somewhere along the way, the Daily Planet became the best paper in the nation. Or at least one of the best. It makes sense with Lois as an ambitious person that she would aim for the best. It's used well when Perry shines. And when they don't bailouts from Luthor in Invasion... well, maybe that's brains and integrity instead of prominence. But, really, I guess, just being prominent in the minds of fans ultimately caused to become so prominent with the DC universe.

Second, why would the Planet be the best? Even if we accept Lois and Clark as the two of the top ten reporters alive (see above), does it really make sense that the other eight positions (or even 11-20) would somehow ALL or MOSTLY) be clustered at a single paper?
    Well, again, it's to do with the best reporters seeking out the most prestigious and best papers to work at. But also, let me clarify that I'm saying "so successful in their field" - I don't necessarily mean the top 10 reporters in the country. But I do mean the top 1% (or at least top 5%) in country - it's just there are lot of reporters in the country.

So, does the Planet have to be the best - probably not. But it has been treated as such for a long while now, I think, and I'm just taking that as truth. But I have to admit, my headcanon Lois doesn't aim below the top.