Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I love writing down statistics of pretty much anything that I have an interest in.

Does that count?
    Yeah, spreadsheets are our friends. I've always loved graphs, before computers (yeah, I'm that old) I pictured the data in my mind.

Maybe this inclination towards statistics is more common that I thought.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Applies regardless of decade being discussed.
    Erm, yeah quite possibly. And?

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Bon Jovi is considered hair metal but he's the least "offender," I think.

Some say G&R is hair metal. I've never considered GandR to be hair metal. The lead singer had pin straight hair, still does I think, no make up or pink fog anywhere. The only time I remember Axel having biggish hair was in "Welcome To The Jungle" and it was only in part of the video. He didn't do much, if any, singing about partying. I'm assuming this is from younger people.
    There was a period in the early 90's where Jon Bon Jovi got a haircut and the media went crazy over it. It was around the time the band released the 'Keep The Faith' album. When a singer getting a haircut can generate such headlines then they definitely qualify as hair metal.

I think the 'Guns N' Roses as hair metal band' thing mostly stemmed from them being an LA band at that time and just being lumped in with the likes of Poison and Motley Crue. Axl did have a brief flirtation with 'big hair' at one early stage so that may have also been a factor. I don't personally class G n' R as hair metal though.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Nerd alert for my new favorite TV channel:

Smithsonian Channel
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I recommend a book called Bloodletters and Bad Men by Jay Nash.
    I think it's your cup of tea.
    Yes, it is. I'll hunt it down. I love the book that was the source for Netflix'Mindhunters, Fincher's Zodiac and Boardwalk Empire
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-17-2020 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    EWhen a singer getting a haircut can generate such headlines then they definitely qualify as hair metal.
    Metallica?

Metallica?
    You mean the makeover the band had around the release of Load? I don't think it raised the same level of media scrutiny as Jon Bon Jovi's change in hairstyle. That was even featured on CNN. I get where you're going there though.

Would Load/Reload be classed as hair metal? I can think of many things to describe those albums personally but did so on another thread recently and won't repeat myself.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

It raised a huge level of media scrutiny, and was directly tied to if/how good the new record was.

Maybe not the same level beat for beat, but it was not a small deal.

It raised a huge level of media scrutiny, and was directly tied to if/how good the new record was.

Maybe not the same level beat for beat, but it was not a small deal.
    No, I agree. Many fans used those publicity shots of Metallica at the time to pre-judge Load before they'd even heard it. Definitely not a small deal. Like I said, I get where you're going here.

For the record, it wasn't Metallica's image at the time that soured me on the music. It was the interminable length of the albums themselves and the dirge-like monotony of the songs. Oh look, I did end up repeating myself.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

I feel like I've helped the thread drift a little too much off course so...

Hmm. Nerd confessions . Well, I do read trade paperbacks in full, never partially. I do it in a manner like the whole thing is a movie going on inside my head replete with imaginary sound effects. I can't abide outside noise spoiling my concentration either.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

No, I agree. Many fans used those publicity shots of Metallica at the time to pre-judge Load before they'd even heard it. Definitely not a small deal. Like I said, I get where you're going here.

For the record, it wasn't Metallica's image at the time that soured me on the music. It was the interminable length of the albums themselves and the dirge-like monotony of the songs. Oh look, I did end up repeating myself.
    Oh it didn't help that those records were awful. haha!

But that was the narrative. They cut their hair, will they suck now? And then they did!

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Yes, it is. I'll hunt it down. I love the book that was the source for Netflix'Mindhunters, Fincher's Zodiac and Boardwalk Empire
    Stephen King gave it a shout-out in his book Danse Macabre.

I feel like I've helped the thread drift a little too much off course so...
    No such thing as "off course". There are music nerds.
    Music confession: I get misty-eyed when I hear Buck Cherry's For the Movies. Sometimes I sing along.
    There... I said it.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 04-17-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Stephen King gave it a shout-out in his book Danse Macabre.

No such thing as "off course". There are music nerds.
    Music confession: I get misty-eyed when I hear Buck Cherry's For the Movies. Sometimes I sing along.
    There... I said it.
    I own Danse Macabre and On Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Yeah, spreadsheets are our friends. I've always loved graphs, before computers (yeah, I'm that old) I pictured the data in my mind.

Maybe this inclination towards statistics is more common that I thought.
    Greensheets is the magic word here. They're called "analysis pads" now, but they are generally obsolete. I actually worked with people who used them in the olden days.

I strongly prefer reading in comic book form as opposed to TPBs. I will only buy a TPB if the original comic has escalated in price drastically. I have never read a comic on a tablet or computer.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    I must be getting old. I really dislike the vast majority of new music (any genre). I have over 2000 songs in my iTunes library, but less than 1% of them are from the last 5 years.
    There is still great music being made. It just doesn't chart in the United States and you don't hear it on the radio. Which means you have to seek it out via specialized internet radio stations or recommendations.

Name a rock band you like from the 80's or 90's and I guarantee there are still bands putting out similar sounding music.

Or get your mind blown by listening to rock music made in other countries. Back around 2004 or so I discovered symphonic metal and a whole new world of bands putting out great music (not all symphonic as some is speed metal, power metal, screamo metal, etc) that you don't hear on United States radio opened up to me. Bands like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Sabaton, In Flames, Leaves Eyes, Sonata Arctica, Epica, etc.

Two my favorite genres beyond symphonic metal is 80's new wave music and 90's Shoegaze. There is a radio station out of Salt Lake (which I live way to far away from to hear on the radio so I listen via the internet) that specializes in New Wave music. Every Thursday they have 2 hr block of music they call Newer New Wave which is all songs having come out in the last 15 years which sound like 80's New Wave and even some Shoegaze. I've discovered so many newer artists there.