Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    Al right, I checked out that One Drive document, and yeah, it's a lot to digest. I'll get into it, but I wanted to clear a few things up first. Since everyone's saying canonical story material comes from creator statements, art books, and the like, I was wondering if it would be easy for anyone to just point out some of those on here.

I decided I wanted to go back and re-watch all the endings and re-read the manual bios. The first two games make sense.
    So here's just what I can tell from the manuals. Alpha's manual has a plot summary that says there's a tournament going on. Alpha 2 seems to just be an upgrade to Alpha 1, not a sequel. The endings are different, but the endings all exist each in their own little alternate reality, it would seem (like in MK). Chun-Li's ending seems semi-canonical as it's where she learns Bison killed her father, showing she didn't know it was him before.

The ending with Ryu and Akuma makes no sense. First, it seems we should know more about Akuma than what has been given to us in the game. Then, he tells Ryu "When the “Evil Intent” awakens in you, then you will know.” So yeah, there seems to be something going on here we should know about.

So based on your statement about Chun-Li, I take it that Alpha 3 is meant to be a sequel, not an upgrade, to Alpha 2. That's itneresting,b ecause the Alpha 3 manual has no story material listed at all. No plot summary, and no character bios. So I start the Alpha 3 endings, and first thing that happens is that Bison says to Ryu "You will be my new host body." That washes with what another person said on here, about how Bison changes body, but again, it's not talked about in the games and manuals.

Again, I'm fully planning on reading the One Drive document, I just wanted to get some clarification in the meantime if it's not too much trouble. So if anyone knows some specific sources where the players at the time the games came out were getting these story details from, that'd be great!
    Everything about Alpha 2 being an upgrade and not sequel is correct. Also most of the endings in Alpha 2 are canonical. Chun ending is obvious. Charlie ending in Alpha 2 is his canonical death and it's the one that's recreated in SF5. Charlie story in Alpha 3 has been retconned out of existence. Adon ending in Alpha 2 is canon because his story in Alpha 3 continues from that ending. Same for characters like Sodom, Rolento and Gen. Alpha 3 is pretty good at continuing the character plots from Alpha 2.

The "evil intent" is the Satsui no Hado. It's a dark energy that Ryu can tap into and it's the plot device he been struggling with for most of the series. Tapping into the Satsui no Hado is how he defeated and scarred Sagat in the original game. Akuma wants Ryu to succumb to it's power like he did so he can have the fight to the death he yearns for. Evil Ryu is what he will become if he does.

Yes, Alpha 3 is a sequel. Unlike the other old school SF games the characters bios are within the game. The game tells you what the character story is when you start arcade mode. When it comes to Alpha 3 the prologue and rival battle dialogue tells the bulk of their story in that game.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Yes, Alpha 3 is a sequel. Unlike the other old school SF games the characters bios are within the game. The game tells you what the character story is when you start arcade mode. When it comes to Alpha 3 the prologue and rival battle dialogue tells the bulk of their story in that game.
    Aw, man, that helps a ton! Just what I was looking for! Now it's on to youtubing all the story & endings from that game before trying to figure out the story of Street Fighter III!

Incredible Member

The only source on the OneDrive besides the games themselves that seems to be pertinent is "All About Capcom Fighting Games 1987-2000", but there had to be something that explained things before that.

For instance, these story sequences for Alpha 3 just make no sense without some sort of context. People here have talked about the story between Ryu and Akuma, or between Bison and Rose, and I'm just not sure where this material comes from. Would the strategy guide at the time have the information?
    Last edited by Slimybug; 04-21-2020 at 07:56 PM.

The only source on the OneDrive besides the games themselves that seems to be pertinent is "All About Capcom Fighting Games 1987-2000", but there had to be something that explained things before that.

For instance, these story sequences for Alpha 3 just make no sense without some sort of context. People here have talked about the story between Ryu and Akuma, or between Bison and Rose, and I'm just not sure where this material comes from. Would the strategy guide at the time have the information?
    What about the Ryu and Akuma storyline that makes no sense to you?

Incredible Member

What about the Ryu and Akuma storyline that makes no sense to you?
    Here is Akuma's bio from Alpha 2

"He believed his ancestors to be fools for sealing the Raging Demon. So what if the technique could kill the person who executed it? Akuma will do everything he can to win. By releasing the Raging Demon, he sealed his evil destiny and destroyed his master. "

Pretty vague. Here's the exchange between him and Gen in Gen's ending.
    Gen: You must be Akuma. You may have a human body,b ut you are not of this world.
    Akuma: Which one are you?
    Gen: I’m the one who will send you back to hell.

This is Akuma's bio from Alpha 3:

Akuma...The supreme master of the fist. This lone warrior is a wanderer, shrouded with “evil intent.” He searches for challengers with enough potential to kill.

Ryu's bio makes it clear he's fighting some evil force inside of him, but aside form him battling Akuma and asking if he knows what it is, there's no other story stated between the two, such as I've found in the various storylines on Youtube.

Same thing with Rose and Bison. The videos in Alpha 3 are very vague, stating that she was his protege. But more in-depth storylines state that she is literally made from his energy or somesuch.

What the Psycho Drive does is also kind of vague. Bison keeps saying that even if he is killed, he cannot truly ie with the Psycho Drive. So I assume it resurrects him. But he also talks about needing a new host body. So I guess it will transfer his conciousness if it finds one, but it will still resurrect the body he has if it dies?

You guys said it yourself, the storyline is never explained in the games. You said this is all made known through art books, guide books, etc. I'm just wondering what some of those would be.

Here is Akuma's bio from Alpha 2

"He believed his ancestors to be fools for sealing the Raging Demon. So what if the technique could kill the person who executed it? Akuma will do everything he can to win. By releasing the Raging Demon, he sealed his evil destiny and destroyed his master. "

Pretty vague. Here's the exchange between him and Gen in Gen's ending.
    Gen: You must be Akuma. You may have a human body,b ut you are not of this world.
    Akuma: Which one are you?
    Gen: I’m the one who will send you back to hell.

This is Akuma's bio from Alpha 3:

Akuma...The supreme master of the fist. This lone warrior is a wanderer, shrouded with “evil intent.” He searches for challengers with enough potential to kill.

Ryu's bio makes it clear he's fighting some evil force inside of him, but aside form him battling Akuma and asking if he knows what it is, there's no other story stated between the two, such as I've found in the various storylines on Youtube.

Same thing with Rose and Bison. The videos in Alpha 3 are very vague, stating that she was his protege. But more in-depth storylines state that she is literally made from his energy or somesuch.

What the Psycho Drive does is also kind of vague. Bison keeps saying that even if he is killed, he cannot truly ie with the Psycho Drive. So I assume it resurrects him. But he also talks about needing a new host body. So I guess it will transfer his conciousness if it finds one, but it will still resurrect the body he has if it dies?

You guys said it yourself, the storyline is never explained in the games. You said this is all made known through art books, guide books, etc. I'm just wondering what some of those would be.
    I'm going to simplify some the Akuma stuff as best as I can. The raging demon is a forbidden technique that apparently will send the opponent soul to hell when they get hit by like 100 punches simultaneously. SFV actually shows what happens when the screen goes dark if your interested. He used this attack to kill his master and later his brother Gokuen and Gen. Though the latter ended up surviving because of some nonsense about using the power of nothingness to their empty souls. For Gouken it put him in a coma for years while Gen just survives.

The dialogue exchange in Gen ending it reinforces the fact the Akuma gave up his humanity to achieve his power. This is further enforced with Oni in SF4 who is Akuma when the Satsui no Hado takes over completely.

I'll say the connection between Ryu and Akuma becomes a lot more clear in Akuma character story in SFV if you want an in-game connection between them. It has Akuma confront Ryu directly and his motivations for doing so. Generally this story remains unchanged from Alpha 2.

The Pyscho Drive is a power source that gives Bison an unlimited supply of pyscho power and amplify it. Yes, he uses psycho power to transfer his conciousness to another body of his current one cannot contain his power. Cammy and the Seth android's exist to provide Bison with backup bodies should get ever need it.

If you want a western source the world warrior encyclopedia is the best one and tries to make sense of all this crap. A new edition to the encyclopedia is being released next month.

Incredible Member

If you want a western source the world warrior encyclopedia is the best one and tries to make sense of all this crap. A new edition to the encyclopedia is being released next month.
    BOOM! That sounds like just what I've been looking for! I'll have to order that as soon as I can! Thanks a lot!