Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When Grant Morrison wrote your favorite character

He's written Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, JLA, and many more. Chances are he's written one of your all time favorite characters.

How does his time writing your favorite character rank with you?

If he hasn't written your fav character, sit this one out and let's hear from the others.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

He ranks #1 with Batman (and by extension, Dick Grayson), Superman and Hal Jordan. I think his takes on those characters are the gold standard as far as the modern comics are concerned.

Wonder Woman is far more disappointing. She was fine in JLA, really bad in Final Crisis, and Wonder Woman: Earth One is an interesting but flawed mess. I will still take it over what she was getting in the main canon at the time of each books respective release, but he ranks far below Marston, Perez, Jimenez and Rucka for her. He at least balanced it out by giving us the best modern takes on Etta Candy and Dr. Psycho though. Not every creator can knock it out of the part with every character, and unfortunately it's not unusual for Wonder Woman to be an outlier.

In basic canon, his Superman in the Final Crisis event was awesome. Pure great.

He is top three all time with Batman.

I liked his Flash, but not quite on par with Waid.

His Wonder Woman is iffy.

I like his Hal Jordan. I actually liked his Kyle in JLA.

I liked all of his JLA for that matter.

Extraordinary Member

I tend to find him pretty good, but far from my favorite in general.

His Batman run I rightfully seen as an all time great, but I think it needs to be acknowledged that he was teamed with a stable of writers on the other books to help make everything work perfectly. Having Paul Dini, Scott Snyder, Fabian Nicieza, and Bryan Q. Miller writing around you for much of your run is going to go a long way towards compensating for any less than great elements of your style, and provides an awesome alternative for people who don’t necessarily dig your work right *now* but might later.

His Superman was pretty good. It was leagues better than the other New 52 stuff the character had to deal with. It’s just not quite my persona, cup of tea.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

His Flash was fun, creative, and got Wally's character right. It's not the top of the shelf stuff when it comes to Flash and Wally's era, but it's a pretty solid run that I enjoyed.

Quite simply the world is a better place for a Superman fan when Morrison writes him. No one currently employed with DC does him better. Those who came close have since left.

I enjoy his Earth One Wonder Woman, but he doesn't have the gravitas with her that he does with Superman. He did do his due research with her though and make good on his promise of learning about the character after not utilizing her in FC, but you can still tell she's generally unfamiliar territory for him.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-12-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I’ve liked his Superman and Hal Jordan. I’d rank him fairly highly when it comes to my preferred writers for them.

Haven’t read his Wonder Woman in JLA but Earth One came off he was more interested in Marston’s ideas/theories than Diana herself. He’s not all bad but he wouldn’t crack my top WW writers.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-14-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Wonder Woman
    Never impressed with JLA, Final Crisis was a slap in the face, and Earth One is a hard pass. I've no use for Morrison on Diana.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Pretty good on Dick
    Pushing a bit too hard on Bruce
    Not impressed with Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    His Flash was fun, creative, and got Wally's character right. It's not the top of the shelf stuff when it comes to Flash and Wally's era, but it's a pretty solid run that I enjoyed.
    Second this. He wrote some very enjoyable arcs.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

His Superman is pretty much as good as it gets, at least this side of Alan Moore. I love his Batman so so so so much.

He's only ever touched on Aquaman, and it was the 90s miserable Aquaman- sadly.

Grant Morrison can do anything.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-12-2020 at 03:58 PM.

He’s the best Superman writer of the modern age and All Star will always be in the conversation about best Superman stories of all time.

Fantastic run on Batman. The dynamic between Dick and Damien was truly amazing.

Ive loved his Green Lantern series and would love to see him have an extended run on The Flash. Having Morrison explore physics and the multiverse with Barry would be very interesting.

Well he wrote one of my favorite teams, The Doom Patrol (i was a fan well before his iconic run), and took them in directions I’d never have imagined.

Well, when he wrote Batman he gave us Damian, which is a sin I shall not forgive, and he had Dick replace Bruce for a while. So not great really.
    Plus I just don't like his confusing style. If you ask "What just happened?" and you mean it honestly, something wrong happened in the writing process. Writing is for communication not confounding.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Well, when he wrote Batman he gave us Damian, which is a sin I shall not forgive, and he had Dick replace Bruce for a while. So not great really.
    Plus I just don't like his confusing style. If you ask "What just happened?" and you mean it honestly, something wrong happened in the writing process. Writing is for communication not confounding.
    I dont really agree with your second point. Its not really the intent to confound. Sometimes it goes overboard and gets too confusing for its own good, but most of the time i find his runs reward multiple readings and come together. Saying creative writing is only for clear communication is i feel too reductive.