Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Robinson's STARMAN came to fruition in the 90s, and that's enough for me. That book is a masterpiece.

5YL Legion from the early 90s also comes to mind immediately.

Lots of good stuff.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-22-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Fantastic Member

I really enjoyed what DC was doing in the '90's. I did feel that DC's The Death & Life of Superman, and the Batman Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend storylines were decent & well-done. Sure, they were designed by DC to get new readers into each respective series, but I felt the art was solid (overall) and the writing was interesting. I liked how both storylines were designed to revamp/revitalize these iconic characters - IMHO for the better.

DC's Vertigo line was from this era was also amazing, i.e. Sandman, Death: The High Cost of Living, Preacher, Hellblazer & Black Orchid - though Hellblazer started in the late '80's & Black Orchid mini was late '80's as well - it's still roughly the same era

Astonishing Member

Good:

Morrison's JLA
    Kyle Rayner Green Lantern
    Reign of the Supermen
    Cyborg Superman
    Superboy
    Wally West Flash (Waid's run was legendary!)
    Knightfall
    Bane
    Tim Drake Robin
    No Man's Land
    Cassandra Cain Batgirl
    PAD's Young Justice
    Cassandra Sandsmark Wonder Girl
    Perez's Wonder Woman

Bad:

Hal becoming Parallax. It's not bad because they turned Hal evil, it's that they condensed an epic story into 3 issues and rarely allowed him to shine as a super-villain. This should have been Anakin Skywalker turned into Darth Vader tragedy over a large story arc the he "breaks bad." Parallax should have had a bigger shadow over the DCU rather than appearing every so often than leaving before the real impact hit. The biggest storyline he had as parallax was in "Final Night" and he died a hero in that.

Jared Stevens' Fate.

Fatejaredstevens.jpg

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Silver Agers and Bronze Agers were eating it hard during the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    ...You could argue it all started in the late 1970s, with DC killing off Aquaman's son, then Mr. Terrific, then the Earth 2 Batman and Iris West. Weird to think - shocking death and dismemberment has been present in comics for 40+ years now.
    Yes...1979 was a turning point. It's when things began taking a turn for the dark.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    E2 Batman's death is the only one on this list I feel doesn't belong there. It had a point in underlining that E2 was a different world than our own, looking at Batman's future (and, as it turned out, his end). The rest were shock value, although I will say that arc is what made Black Manta what he is.

Astonishing Member

I geneally disliked the comics industry in the 90's.

But I generally loved DC, which didn't seem as "hip" or "cool" by the mainstream audience (Thanks, Wizard), but put out so much stuff I loved.

Justice League International
    Suicide Squad
    Wally West Flash
    Sandman
    Doom Patrol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Good:

Morrison's JLA
    Kyle Rayner Green Lantern
    Reign of the Supermen
    Cyborg Superman
    Superboy
    Wally West Flash (Waid's run was legendary!)
    Knightfall
    Bane
    Tim Drake Robin
    No Man's Land
    Cassandra Cain Batgirl
    PAD's Young Justice
    Cassandra Sandsmark Wonder Girl
    Perez's Wonder Woman

Bad:

Hal becoming Parallax. It's not bad because they turned Hal evil, it's that they condensed an epic story into 3 issues and rarely allowed him to shine as a super-villain. This should have been Anakin Skywalker turned into Darth Vader tragedy over a large story arc the he "breaks bad." Parallax should have had a bigger shadow over the DCU rather than appearing every so often than leaving before the real impact hit. The biggest storyline he had as parallax was in "Final Night" and he died a hero in that.

Jared Stevens' Fate.

Fatejaredstevens.jpg
    Believe you're right about Hal.

Barely remember that Fate book,was it any good? Or,at least,had potential? Know he melted down Dr. Fate's helmet into that sword/dagger.