Default Which Black Hand origin to you like best?

There's the Silver Black Hand origin, and the revised one by Geoff John's during "Secret Origin" that he did to lead up to Blackest Night.

Which one did you like better? William Hand as a criminal that develops he energy absorbing weapon himself? Or as a young man obsessed with death that got the weapon from Atrocitus because he believed him to be part of the blackest night prophecy?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    There's the Silver Black Hand origin, and the revised one by Geoff John's during "Secret Origin" that he did to lead up to Blackest Night.

Which one did you like better? William Hand as a criminal that develops he energy absorbing weapon himself? Or as a young man obsessed with death that got the weapon from Atrocitus because he believed him to be part of the blackest night prophecy?
    The second one.

The nice thing about the second one is that it doesn't truly "break" the old version; Hand was always an outcast, and a creepy kid. Johns' revision made him a lot creepier, and of course more retroactively important. One of Johns' better villain rethinks.

Truly most of Green Lantern's earth-based villains of the 1960s were pretty thin, or silly - the Tattooed Man, Black Hand, Major Disaster, Dr. Polaris, Sonar.

Though I admit I like the idea of Sonar, it's such an odd high concept - an evil genius dictator of a country that's a block long.

I'm partial to the Johns take.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I really liked Geoff Johns' new spin on Black Hand.
    He turned a kinda goofy villain into one creepy bastard!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Johns' Origin. Black Hand wasn't the most interest villain in the Silver Age but Johns' take added an interesting creepy factor to the character and his origin for Black Hand led to him doing something interesting with the character.