Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default DC early 90's changes:Good,Bad or Ugly?

If you loved or hated the early 90's you may enjoy this stroll down memory lane as all 4 members of the ComicPOP! crew talk about when Azrael became Batman,Superman became an electric ice skater (lol) and Kyle Rayner became the ONLY Green Lantern!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgG0FTtoNbE

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    If you loved or hated the early 90's you may enjoy
    They seem to go together.

Honestly if you jumped into comics then, it was about extreme events and these were the players.
    And the speculators were eating up every shock-and-awe extreme status-quo shakeup, the more mindlessly shocking betrayal the better.
    And DC marketed directly to them and delivered anything they could mark "key issue" !
    DC needs to own it, and they should Bring them all back,together as an ongoing team:

JustUsLeague Extreme 7: ( The un-apologetically 90s eXtreme replacement team, that required their predecessors all be; eXtreme de-powered, character assassinated, insane, crippled, and/or dead!
    While they took over, pulling the I have to live up to the legacy angst ... (while their predecessors all lay eXtremely! out of character insane, broken, crippled, or dead. Convenient. LOL!

1. Eradicator (for Superman
    2. Artemis (for Wonder Woman
    3. Knightfall Azreal (for Batman
    4. Connor (for Green Arrow (yes they killed him too ridiculously blown-the'f'up!
    5. Rayner (for GL Corps(one concept allows multiples he replaces all of them LOL!
    6. Wally (for Flash
    7. Zauriel (for Hawkman

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    To counter the JL retro-silver-age revival;
    An unapologetically 90s Earth eXtreme Team!

Home of Justice League Angst, rooted in the 90's replacement characters spun out of their predecessor hero "family" all shockingly depowered, crippled, insane, sacrificed and/or dead,! So they could shockingly take over ...with angst!. LOL!

Further the premise: a hybrid of extreme 90's and Morrison Earth-16 / "Earth-Me" shallow 90's gen character tribute.
    Everyone has extreme armor, extra blades, face and eye gear, pouches, straps, giant shoulder-pads, guns, mullets, ponytails.

Everyone is extreme-power-hyped-insane, with broken back poses, giant guns, killing, crippling, shot full of holes, burnt alive, blown or hacked to bits, fridged, anything for pure shock!
    Yet on this Earth they also all gained extreme-regenerative powers, so they can always come back!; From a severed limb, a crawling skeleton, a drop of blood, or a single teardrop!
    Since you could never fully kill them, it's absolute eXtreme blood-lust Earth, you can do it over again in every bloody issue! LOL!
    And cause they can't die, they are leading meaningless, shallow, self-absorbed lives, and become the media whores concept that Morrison used for his 90's Earth-16 Just Us League.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-19-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Incredible Member

They mentioned in the comments they could do a sequel since someone mentioned Artemis for Wonder Woman. Connor Hawke for Green Arrow is another. And...Zauriel for Hawkman!? lol

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I actually LOVED the 90s DC comic book landscape.
    Yes, there was a ton of over the top crap, but mate, there was some fantastic stuff out there too!

The Superman, Batman and Flash titles were at heights not reached since.
    Green Lantern and Green Arrow were an absolute blast.
    Morrison on JLA.
    David on Aquaman.
    Robinson on Starman.
    Dixon on Robin and Nightwing.
    Smith on Guy Gardner.

Then there was left field stuff like Young Heroes in Love, Major Bummer, Chronos, Hourman.

Yup. Loved me some 90's DC
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Yes, there was a ton of over the top crap, but mate, there was some fantastic stuff out there too!

Morrison on JLA.
    David on Aquaman.
    Robinson on Starman.
    Smith on Guy Gardner.

Then there was left field stuff like Young Heroes in Love, Major Bummer, Chronos, Hourman.

Totally!!!

For me Death of Superman, Blue Superman Transformed, and Major Bummer were huge... Batman's Knightfall was iconic. Kyle was Green Lantern, Hal was Parallax, the fun of DC vs Marvel and Im sure much more

BANNED

90s DC was pretty cool. Events hadn't totally taken over the industry at that point. That didn't happen until DiDio came on board as Editor in Chief. There were a lot of things I liked. Superman's family of titles was really good. Alan Grant on Detective Comics was awesome. Jim Balent on Catwoman. Early Gerard Jones on Green Lantern and GL: Mosaic. I certainly like what DC did in that decade a lot more than the 00s and 10s. I can't say I cared for a whole lot during that period. I wonder what the 20s will be like. Things are already off to a pretty interesting start, but that's not due at all to creative.

90s DC is my least favorite DC. It's the only time I took a couple years off of reading comic books.

A big part of that had to do with where I was at in my life, in my early-mid 20s, living and working in a punk club, and beginning my career as a playwright and theatre director. But an equally big part of it was that, whenever I checked in, I found almost everything both bad and ugly. Death of Superman/Doomsday, Bane breaking Batman's back (and just the fact of Bane, as boring to me as Doomsday was), the JLA that was neither JLA nor JLI, what they did to Hal Jordan... Apologies to those that are fond of those years, but I found it all to be banal and bankrupt of ideas. And I really didn't like the EXTREME! art, across the line.

I remember how excited I was when I heard about JLA #1 by Morrison. That brought me all the way back and I've been back every New Comic Day since, until, well, you know...

I'm sure there was a lot of great stuff mixed in with the stuff that didn't interest me. If I were to read this thread I'd probably find out about a lot of it. Since I have DCUniverse and the comics library there, perhaps I will.

Robinson on Starman.

Hourman.
    It took me a while to get to Starman, but you're right. It was exquisite.

And the Peyer/Morales Hourman was fantastic. As I recall it spun out of Morrison's JLA and the Robinson/Goyer/Johns JSA, both of which I loved a lot. But that was very late 90s wasn't it? Maybe I'm wrong but that feels like a very different era than Bane/Doomsday.

The ‘90s to me was the death of the post-Crisis DCU.
    Starting around 1992 and ending in 1994, the DCU systematically brought a sweeping change over their entire landscape.
    The most noticeable of these were Superman’s death and Batman’s defeat, but also the end of the long-running titles for JLI and Wonder Woman.

What came in the ‘90s could have been interesting, if it wasn’t aping Image at the time.
    And the cover art during the ‘90s took a big hit, too. Cluttered covers with muddy coloring and inking was the norm. The clean and well composed covers of the past were long gone. (Marvel was the worst at this, even making the logos huge and taking up more space.)

I ended up leaving DC when JLI ended and started dabbling in more indies.
    Although, I did get into Vertigo just as the DCU shifted gears into Image-land.

In retrospect, I guess I could give credit to DC’s sudden rug-pulling that resulted in the end of JLI for getting me into Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing.
    If the JLI hadn’t ended around the same time that Vertigo started, I probably wouldn’t have picked up the back issues of Swamp Thing.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

And the Peyer/Morales Hourman was fantastic.
    Was that run collected? Or is it just floppies

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    The fun of DC vs Marvel
    Radical to the MAX, bro. AMALGAM Comics were the pinnacle of the 90's aesthetic, IMHO.

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-14-2020 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Heh, Spider-Boy had a web gun instead of the wrist mounted web shooters Spider-Man has. That's a reference to Spidey's prototype design, before Ditko redesigned him prior to his introduction in Amazing Fantasy #15.

You can actually tell who really published each of those. Marvel didn't yet list creators on the cover, and the barcode design is different. From that, I know that StrangeFate was a DC book, and the Spider-Boy comics were published by Marvel (I think the Amalgam comics were divided equally between them, and the trades jointly published).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    If you loved or hated the early 90's you may enjoy this stroll down memory lane as all 4 members of the ComicPOP! crew talk about when Azrael became Batman,Superman became an electric ice skater (lol) and Kyle Rayner became the ONLY Green Lantern!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgG0FTtoNbE
    I just watched this yesterday! It's a great YouTube channel for comic book fans. I liked the part where they wondered if Alex should just take the ring from Kyle since he wasn't really getting it and she seemed much more on top of things. I had a similar thought reading it as well. Too bad they decided to go the fridge way instead...

Incredible Member

The 90s were SO good, that DC has been redoing and rehashing those same stories over and over and over again for the last 20 years.

Morrison on JLA.
    David on Aquaman.
    Robinson on Starman.
    Smith on Guy Gardner.

It's like you read my mind!

90's was when I was growing up and getting into comics, the comics that married mentioned are what got me into DC comics.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!