Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comic industy

Default Comic industy

You guys think people are right and comics will die off? I mean comic stores keep closing yet there is a increasing in kids comics also.

Edit: We don't post videos from comicsgaters and their ilk here. No. Just no. - Matt
    Last edited by Matt; 04-16-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Nothing matters. Meh.
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 04-21-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Meh.

The art form never will, but the current industry might, and to be frank, I'm not sure it shouldn't.

Astonishing Member

I think this topic will continue for another 4-5 decades.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I think this topic will continue for another 4-5 decades.
    Continuing from the two decades prior.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I think this will be the end of the industry as we know it. How many comic shops are going to go under due to this? A lot which will in turn cause massive decreases in sales. There will also be a a lot of people currently cut off from comics who probably won't go back. Once you break someones habit it doesn't necessarily start up again.

Whatever comes out the other side is going to be drastically different. A higher emphasis on digital due to the loss of comic shops and drastically reduced sales across the board which will mean a lot of cancelled books.

I've removed the video.
    We do NOT post videos from comicsgaters and their ilk on these forums. Those people do not deserve a platform here.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

All-New Member

I believe comic industry will survive. It will adapt and thrive.

Well I didn't see the comicsgate video. Yikes.

I definitely hope something changes with the Diamond situation. Monopolies are never good.

I think the general publishing model could probably use a shake up. We might be waking up to a very new economic reality, and $4 for a part of a story once a month probably isn't going to cut it when people are making tougher choices about their entertainment.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Well I didn't see the comicsgate video. Yikes.

I definitely hope something changes with the Diamond situation. Monopolies are never good.

I think the general publishing model could probably use a shake up. We might be waking up to a very new economic reality, and $4 for a part of a story once a month probably isn't going to cut it when people are making tougher choices about their entertainment.
    That last part I agree with. I thinned down my pull list last year to maybe 6 titles. I'm reluctant to jump into anything new. I also find a pain to store comics and am thinking of selling off stuff to a LCS but I think most of them have a hard time moving them unless you have something really exceptional

I hope this shows that maybe Diamond being the only distributor is not a good idea. I remember years ago Marvel tried to do it on their own a distributor called Heroes World, a company they acquired in the 1990s. That turned into a disaster

Comics aren't the only business/industry having problems with the shutdown. Maybe if some states loosen up on their restrictions, we may see some businesses get back on their feet. This shutdown really hit a lot of companies hard, Macy's and JCPenney are trying to get their financial house in order. Goodrich Theater chain may go under. Granted some of these businesses may have been on the bubble anyway but this situation is like a death blow.

In any case, Marvel already sells digital on their own comic shop section of their website, which also is linked to Comixology. That maybe will have to be the next step if many comic shops go out of business. They could still go with collections to that can be marketed on Amazon or book stores, if any are left. In my area, there are only a couple. Books a Million, which has a very small store in the mall and a Barnes & Nobles in the next county.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-16-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've removed the video.
    We do NOT post videos from comicsgaters and their ilk on these forums. Those people do not deserve a platform here.
    Not a comicsgater and have no idea what the video said but feel like I should put in a word here for free speech.

To be on topic, I feel the Diamond monopoly model has to go. I still intend to pick up physical issues. Digital just doesn't interest me in the slightest.
    Last edited by Cap'n_RDM; 04-18-2020 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_RDM View Post
    Not a comicsgater and have no idea what the video said but feel like I should put in a word here for free speech.

To be on topic, I feel the Diamond monopoly model has to go. I still intend to pick up physical issues. Digital just doesn't interest me in the slightest.
    You really wanna die on a hill for bigots? Also free speech is irrelevant. This is a private forum. Play by the rules or go.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    You really wanna die on a hill for bigots? Also free speech is irrelevant. This is a private forum. Play by the rules or go.
    QFT. You don't want to see gamergate, comicgate or whatever they're called these days spamming the boards here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_RDM View Post
    You should probably start by figuring out what free speech means, how it works, and where it applies before you put in a word for it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    You guys think people are right and comics will die off? I mean comic stores keep closing yet there is a increasing in kids comics also.
    Thanks for reminding me to renew my Unlimited subscription -- right in time for me to start working on my book again.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/unlimited

I pick up the occasional title if it catches my eye (War Children by Claremont and Seinkiewicz for instance) but I'm not paying $5 for what I usually see out there now. I've already got enough old comics to cause me problems when I move anyway -- no need for more.

Much easier to just go digital and look for what I want there.

The medium might change but I don't think comics will die out any time soon -- if ever.

I enjoyed going to the stores when I was a kid in school but I also liked getting my comics for anywhere from sixty cents to $3 for a special edition.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 04-18-2020 at 11:08 AM.