Default How do you think Spider-Man would cope with a Jason Todd type situation?

I've often thought a good plot line would be if his deal with Mephisto that erased his marriage did more than just have personal emotional consequences something I think would be good would be for the original Gwen to return and for it to be revealed that Mephisto brought her back but as a sort of slap in the face to Peter and she came back crazy or came back not all together. I can absolutely see Mephisto doing that and revealing it to Peter with a "Oh you didn't read your whole contract did you?"

Essentially this is what I'm thinking someone new steals the Green Goblin title from Norman and not only goes after him but Spider-man as well taking over the city's criminal underworld as the new Kingpin. Spider-man tries his best to fight this Goblin only to have things escalate and get his past failures thrown in his face as some sort of cryptic clue to the new Goblin's identity like he's led to the place where his Uncle Ben was shot and finds his Aunt May held hostage by a super villain and the theme continues in some sort of twisted gauntlet with the new goblin reenacting the deaths of his loved ones using people he cares about that are still alive with each challenge having a twisted theme to it like trying to teach Peter he can't save everyone or trying to make him kill the bad guys (with him finding another way of course) to save people and such like. Then at the end Peter is led to the bridge where Gwen died and finds Norman held hostage by the new Goblin and learns it's a resurrected Gwen that's out for revenge and demands that either Peter kills Norman or watches as she does.

I'd honestly love a story arc like this because I think it'd be very emotional but at the same time I'm not sure how Norman would react to it I feel like depending on which personality is driving be it the business man he'd be pissed at having everything from his empire to his goblin gear be stolen from him and taken hostage. At the same time I feel like if Goblin was driving then he'd be getting a kick out of the whole thing while being slightly irritated that he was being impersonated but at the same time if he learned it was Gwen behind everything I can see Norman/Goblin just egging her on and just enjoying the ride maybe even giving some mild humorous criticism.

All in all I'd really like to see Spider-man handle a stand off at the bridge where things are completely messed up with Norman as the hostage and Gwen as the Goblin trying to force Peter to make a choice and berating Peter for letting Norman live all these years. Pretty much something like this.

iMan 42s

A Jason Todd situation I think would work is that if he doesn't know the person brought back. It's someone we see in the background of a story so they are a "real" character but it being someone Peter missed or ignored for one reason or another would hit harder. How many people have been killed or injured by a Pumpkin bomb? How is someone affected knowing that they survived the slaughter of their entire apartment complex by Red Goblin or knew somebody who lived in that building for Peter to have saved Norman Osborn.

The average citizen would be furious and especially so that Norman keeps coming back because Spider-man keeps saving him or letting him go be it that he literally lets him go or puts him in an asylum when he should know he will break out again. Jason Todd works because he has a legitimate point, sure he's an Anti-hero/villain with standards but he has a point. How many people is Bruce going to let Joker kill before he finally just ends him? And this isn't even stretched out over years, Joker like Norman has been active within a few weeks of murders. One shouldn't let the law be taken into their own hands but Spider-man doesn't have a leg to stand on like Batman. Spider-man like Batman would see somebody like a hypothetical Jason Todd as another criminal and frankly one he thinks he could've saved when by all accounts couldn't because he can't take one life despite being willing to put down an alien (Darksied / symbiotes).

I feel the better Jason Todd stand-in is to create a villain Peter has to wrestle his own morality with. Yes murder is wrong but why is killing a monster like that not? After-all if you can justify the killing of a villain (Darsied / Venom) why is it so hard to put down Norman? A good hard look at how and why Peter does what he does outside the obvious of making someone feel good or putting a smile on someones face. Saving lives doesn't always mean making easy decisions while also meaning that the lives you save aren't always good people.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    A Jason Todd situation I think would work is that if he doesn't know the person brought back. It's someone we see in the background of a story so they are a "real" character but it being someone Peter missed or ignored for one reason or another would hit harder. How many people have been killed or injured by a Pumpkin bomb? How is someone affected knowing that they survived the slaughter of their entire apartment complex by Red Goblin or knew somebody who lived in that building for Peter to have saved Norman Osborn.

The average citizen would be furious and especially so that Norman keeps coming back because Spider-man keeps saving him or letting him go be it that he literally lets him go or puts him in an asylum when he should know he will break out again. Jason Todd works because he has a legitimate point, sure he's an Anti-hero/villain with standards but he has a point. How many people is Bruce going to let Joker kill before he finally just ends him? And this isn't even stretched out over years, Joker like Norman has been active within a few weeks of murders. One shouldn't let the law be taken into their own hands but Spider-man doesn't have a leg to stand on like Batman. Spider-man like Batman would see somebody like a hypothetical Jason Todd as another criminal and frankly one he thinks he could've saved when by all accounts couldn't because he can't take one life despite being willing to put down an alien (Darksied / symbiotes).

I feel the better Jason Todd stand-in is to create a villain Peter has to wrestle his own morality with. Yes murder is wrong but why is killing a monster like that not? After-all if you can justify the killing of a villain (Darsied / Venom) why is it so hard to put down Norman? A good hard look at how and why Peter does what he does outside the obvious of making someone feel good or putting a smile on someones face. Saving lives doesn't always mean making easy decisions while also meaning that the lives you save aren't always good people.
    I see your point and it actually gives me a better idea like Gwen having a cousin or half brother Peter never met and we learn he became a cop like Captain Stacy before him and lost his wife/family due to a stray pumpkin bomb. Then after burying his family he's cleaning out Gwen and her dad's things in his attic for whatever reason and discovers Peter is Spider-man from a old diary entry then he goes all Arkham Knight/Red Hood on him organizing a large group of cops to take over the city in a military fashion and putting Peter through an emotional gauntlet. That would make for a good antagonist.

Well, in the Mackie years there was a plot going on with an uncle of Gwen Stacy and two cousins she had, a man and a woman. And, of course, we have the Stacy twins from Sins Past. I think the Stacy family is better left alone. Maybe a Red Hood plot could be done with someone from the secondary cast of Peter Parker that right now doesn't have an important or clear role. Harry Osborn? Carlie Cooper?
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Don't start giving Marvel ideas now

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Intriguing idea. There was something somewhat similar with Ben Reilly as the Jackal in The Clone Conspiracy and later resuming the Scarlet Spider mantle, though as even more of an anti-hero than his brother Kaine, which could have also challenged Peter's morality, albeit through taking Peter's "no one dies" ethos to the twisted extreme of using an improved version of Miles Warren's cloning technology to effectively resurrect everyone Peter failed to save or whose deaths he blamed on himself. Of course, any tragic nuance or complexity that could have come out of that was squandered by making Ben go full genocidal maniac when Peter rebuked his methods and motives, a crying shame in my opinion. That said, my idea would have been that the backstory behind Ben's revival remained intact, but Ben used the resources he appropriated from Warren to lure both Norman Osborn and Peter Parker into a confrontation, with Ben's endgame being Osborn's death at his (or Peter's) hands for not just Gwen Stacy's death, but also that of baby May, Peter's daughter and Ben's niece.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 04-13-2020 at 08:18 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Exclamation

I think there was a What If? in which MJ got shot (and died) rather than Aunt May by Kingpin's assassin. If I recall correctly Peter lost his **** and went on a rampage. So yeah, considering Peter already carries around enough crippling guilt to start a new religion any "Jason Todd" type scenario would likely end very badly for Spidey, the villain(s), and anyone else unfortunate enough to be involved.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think there was a What If? in which MJ got shot (and died) rather than Aunt May by Kingpin's assassin. If I recall correctly Peter lost his **** and went on a rampage. So yeah, considering Peter already carries around enough crippling guilt to start a new religion any "Jason Todd" type scenario would likely end very badly for Spidey, the villain(s), and anyone else unfortunate enough to be involved.
    Oh, yeah. Kingpin died at the end, by way of Peter punching a hole in his gut after Kingpin tried to have his dirty cops hold Aunt May hostage so Peter would let Kingpin kill him. Let's also not forget all those times in canon --- the Sin-Eater case, particularly --- when Peter was nearly pushed over the edge into murderous vengeance by the death of a friend, ally, or loved one. It would definitely not end well for anyone if he let himself go that far.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

I think Harry Osborn would work better in this sort of story. Lord knows he's got enough issues with his father Norman. And if Harry found out Peter was Spider-man, there would be resentment that his best friend never confided his secret. So you'd have an situation similar to Jason Todd's, wanting revenge against the bad guy and at the same in conflict with his best friend.

I mean we HAD this option with Flash but they made him too much of a good guy....somehow. Because the Iraq War Vet who was involved in Black Ops cant kill Norman for "reasons"