Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Considering most review sites treat Arkham Origins as the weak link, maybe it's just as well WB Montreal didn't come through with a Superman game. Maybe it'd be a bad look for Superman if WB/DC give Batman to the big league squad and ship Superman over to the JV..
    I think Arkham Origins has been vindicated by history and become an underrated gem among the Arkham games, especially since it's usually cited for having a much stronger story then Knight did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well, looks like Rocksteady DID pitch a Superman game, but WB passed because of course they did: https://twitter.com/jsig212james/sta...304431105?s=21

Makes sense, AK was definitely teasing Superman with all those Easter Eggs. An even bigger downside is I doubt WBM’s second game is Superman now. I don’t see WBM having a better Superman pitch than Rocksteady. Poor Supes, stuck in the hands of those dumbasses at WB who can not get him right at all and refuse to allow anyone competent to work on him.
    There were also some Flash nods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    A lot of that likely comes from the need to balance player's characters against everyone else. Flight can't offer more, from a technical standpoint, than acrobatics or super speed.

I still think flight is just fine in DCUO. Could it work better in a solo game where balancing against other player's builds isn't a problem? Sure. But my point was that UE3 seems perfectly capable of achieving quality flight mechanics. We could fiddle with the details but I don't see why the engine couldn't make flight work in a solo game since it does so in a MMO.
    Yeah, I think flying in DCUO feels about as good as flying has ever felt in games. The only way we'd get more out of it would be in VR mode or something where it responds to our body movements. THEN it'd be huge.. but once you get used to the flying in DCUO, it handles quite well. Maybe the collision detection could be improved, but that shouldn't be too hard in a dedicated game (vs an online mmo).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I did hear that Anthem did flight better, but the game was a hot mess so I never played it. Big disappointment, i had high hopes about that one when we first started hearing about it.

Have you tried the new Birds of Prey episode yet JAK? I haven't even logged in but I hear good things.....
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

This is such a cowardly company. Every video game studio is willing to take risks. WB Montreal has nothing to lose making a Superman game. Just go for it!
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Soon I’d wager. The guy whose Twitter thread I posted seems to think not every JL will get a game, due to WB wanting Games as A Service (not sure if you know what that term means). So Batman will obviously get games, Superman/WW might get games, beyond that though? Maybe the Flash? But the rest of the JL won’t get individual games. Team games are totally possible, Rocksteady is said to be making Suicide Squad.
    This sums it up quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=166UJe9-P-8

The guy doing these clips can be an acquired taste but he did his homework.

Angry Joe (long time videogame vlogger and big time Supes fan) on the Superman game:

https://youtu.be/UTA1c76WRPY?t=274

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    This is such a cowardly company. Every video game studio is willing to take risks. WB Montreal has nothing to lose making a Superman game. Just go for it!
    It's not so much having nothing to lose and just having your corporate owners approve what you're working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I did hear that Anthem did flight better, but the game was a hot mess so I never played it. Big disappointment, i had high hopes about that one when we first started hearing about it.

Have you tried the new Birds of Prey episode yet JAK? I haven't even logged in but I hear good things.....
    I'll have to look at Anthem - I never played it.

And I actually haven't been on DCUO for several months, sadly. Just waaaay too much work to catch up on. But it looks good, so I'll check it out at some point.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't particularly understand. I looked at anthem flight controls and it largely looks like mine. I had been working on a superman fan game on and off, its in unity game engine. I have made the character fly.it looks fairly similar, with lesser animations and designs ofcourse. Mine, needs work. I thought my flight is underwhelming. I wanted to add more maneuvers and flips like in the old goldenage comics. Also,i had trouble with superspeed effects and frame rate. I wanted the afterimage superman thing that gets blurred,like when flash does his thing. So am i being too harsh on my creation? I wanted superman to have more swimming through air kinda feel. With player needing to press a button in intervals to keep the flight. But, then it got too convoluted and hard to since you need to also press button to move and use abilities like laser vision. So i went back and made controls like in anthem. Is anthem like flight good enough or exciting enough for you guys?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-25-2020 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'll have to look at Anthem - I never played it.

And I actually haven't been on DCUO for several months, sadly. Just waaaay too much work to catch up on. But it looks good, so I'll check it out at some point.
    Don’t pay money for it. The only fun part is the flying around and using abilities. The story, the loot, the raids, they’re all trash. Had a friend who bought this Day 1 because he was a huge Bioware fan (I was too before they jumped off a cliff imo with DA2, ME3, and DAI), and he basically finally wrote off Bioware. I played his copy and there were a few hours of fun, a solid gameplay base for a Superman game there.

Like I don’t know if any of you guys play the Mass Effect games, but let me tell you guys: Playing as a Vanguard? Hot damn does that feel like Superman with all the Charging around and Nova. Take those two skills from ME, Anthem’s flying and the Arkham freeflow combat and I think you could have a fun Superman game.

Of course I personally would totally play a Golden Age/Morrison New 52 Superman who has far reduced power levels at the start and can’t even fly.

Lets close it (from my part! :P ) as a YT link trilogy. This from two charming Australian game vloggers about another quite prominent life service which just shut down. Totally not about the Superman game itself but a a big red flag for why live services as game replacements (yeah, thats the mentality of the big studios) are a bad thing and people involved in creating them are bad people that should be ashamed and not being able to look into a mirror without disgust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eYubwOL_hI

Not really a gamer, so this thread had me look up "games as a service" and...I'm somehow more disgusted with humanity? Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not really a gamer, so this thread had me look up "games as a service" and...I'm somehow more disgusted with humanity? Ugh.
    Yep and WB is pretty bad about this in particular. The Shadow of War loot box system was utter bull crap until the backlash forced them to fix it. Makes me nervous about their upcoming Batman game.

Yep and WB is pretty bad about this in particular. The Shadow of War loot box system was utter bull crap until the backlash forced them to fix it. Makes me nervous about their upcoming Batman game.
    It's the new reality of video games, unfortunately. It's a wonder when a AAA game doesn't have some kind of lootbox or service aspect.

I don't particularly like how games are priced these days, but to be fair, gaming today is still relatively inexpensive. Babbage's (RIP) sold Final Fantasy III in 1993 for $79.99. That's $145 in 2020 money (but it was worth it). There's something to be said about not having that feeling of being nickeled and dimed, or knowing everything you'll have to pay upfront.

Of course, I haven't bought a video game in like 7 years...