Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

they were going to be 2 different characters until the 11th hour, let the bihs live
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Does she really need her own thread? Teen Jean IS Jean and she already has one where we discuss her
    I would think not but what do I know. I love Teen Jean and I was very happy that the adult 05 and the time lost 05 were the same. Though it lasted probably too long it did add elements to each character.

Jean got to become a leader, expand her powers, and she was the focus in several stories including her own solo. The teen 05 brought me back to the X-men after I had given up on them for a few years. I started collecting regularly with the Jean Grey solo (and went back and bought all the trades of the Bendis 05 era).

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    they were going to be 2 different characters until the 11th hour, let the bihs live
    There was a very small point in time between ANXM v1 and X-Men Blue/Extermination that they were potentially AU characters. Then editorial was like, nah.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Homophobic icon

Fantastic Member

I loved her because she was so different to who she grew up to be.

As soon as she was shown the train wreck that would be her life, this girl got her act in gear and worked to change things in as subtle a way as she could (cause she didn't want the other X-Men to stop her).

Her relationship with Beast was something she engineered to help her avoid the Scott part of her fate.

Using her powers to suit herself and exposing the hypocrisy of the others. Emma and the Stepford Sisters rifle through the minds of everyone (including Jean, we saw this on panel, that they were consistently in Jean's head in the beginning). Why were mind-reading laws only in place for Jean?

Her attempt to start a new life attending Empire State University.

X-Men Red made me love Adult Jean Grey but the teenage version was a live one.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I personally didn't like jeen as I thought how she was conveyed deviated too much from her 60s version. I liked the progression of her having lesser power then coming into her power as she became Phoenix told by Claremont. Jeen simply seems like a fanfic version of that original destroying all the fun stories created by lee and friends.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Homophobic icon
    lolll . the fact that that story made it thru every layer of editors......at least it lead to mostly good things visibility-wise

I love her green and white costume sm. It was overall a fun take on the character , so much talk of the Bendis days on here lately I kind wanna revisit 'em

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

all the love to teen jean gonna make me read x men blue again
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I personally didn't like jeen as I thought how she was conveyed deviated too much from her 60s version. I liked the progression of her having lesser power then coming into her power as she became Phoenix told by Claremont. Jeen simply seems like a fanfic version of that original destroying all the fun stories created by lee and friends.
    There were differences between the original version and the Bendis version no doubt. But Claremont had long retconned that Xavier had put psychic circuit breakers in Jean's mind due to being a powerful telepath. Bendis explored this by having Jean's telepathy manifest earlier as a result of the time travel experience. Teen Jean became powerful at a younger age than adult Jean. It gave Teen Jean additional obstacles (learning to use her "new" power of telepathy and without the training/manipulations from Xavier).

Now there are many versions of Jean in which she is portrayed as powerful in her younger years (the Fox movies, the Wolverine and the X-men cartoon, X-men First Class comic book, X-men Origins Jean Grey, the Marvel Girl one shot in 2010). Claremont made Jean into Phoenix because in his mind he took the weakest character and made her one of the most powerful (but I'd argue she was never the weakest and her powers were often useful even in the original X-men days), but now it is established that Jean was always powerful even before the shuttle incident and before her experiences with Phoenix. I do like that Teen Jean reinforces that idea - that Jean is powerful in her own right.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay25 View Post
    I loved her because she was so different to who she grew up to be.

As soon as she was shown the train wreck that would be her life, this girl got her act in gear and worked to change things in as subtle a way as she could (cause she didn't want the other X-Men to stop her).

Her relationship with Beast was something she engineered to help her avoid the Scott part of her fate.

Using her powers to suit herself and exposing the hypocrisy of the others. Emma and the Stepford Sisters rifle through the minds of everyone (including Jean, we saw this on panel, that they were consistently in Jean's head in the beginning). Why were mind-reading laws only in place for Jean?

Her attempt to start a new life attending Empire State University.

X-Men Red made me love Adult Jean Grey but the teenage version was a live one.
    I can't blame Jeen for the brief romance with Beast, to avoid the suffering I owuld even hook up with tony stark.

Jean is always held at a higher standarts

I love her short hair style, it's my favorite look for Jean in general
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    There were differences between the original version and the Bendis version no doubt. But Claremont had long retconned that Xavier had put psychic circuit breakers in Jean's mind due to being a powerful telepath. Bendis explored this by having Jean's telepathy manifest earlier as a result of the time travel experience. Teen Jean became powerful at a younger age than adult Jean. It gave Teen Jean additional obstacles (learning to use her "new" power of telepathy and without the training/manipulations from Xavier).

Now there are many versions of Jean in which she is portrayed as powerful in her younger years (the Fox movies, the Wolverine and the X-men cartoon, X-men First Class comic book, X-men Origins Jean Grey, the Marvel Girl one shot in 2010). Claremont made Jean into Phoenix because in his mind he took the weakest character and made her one of the most powerful (but I'd argue she was never the weakest and her powers were often useful even in the original X-men days), but now it is established that Jean was always powerful even before the shuttle incident and before her experiences with Phoenix. I do like that Teen Jean reinforces that idea - that Jean is powerful in her own right.
    very interesting. claremont did make her exponentially more powerful by giving her the Phoenix but I actually enjoyed that about the earlier xmen stories. though scott was at the time described as the most powerful xmen it was nice to see a slow progression of all their powers grow as they went from teens to young adults. I've never been one unnecessary retcons because despite if her younger self was always strong or had mental blocks or whatever she eventually progressed to be one of the strongest mutants in the entire mu. but just my thoughts.

oan: it would be cool to see older jean use some of the abilities she learned as a child.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post

I agree, I never saw Jean as the weakest X-Men, not even day 1. As each issue went by, Jean's power seemed to increase.