Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What if: the X-Men took over Avengers mantles?

A Marvel series I’d love to see: after another A+X crossover, an reality warping twist erases the Avengers and the X-Men stars a limited series taking over the Avengers monikers and looks.

Cyclops becomes Capitain America
    Rogue - Captain Marvel
    Magneto - Iron Man
    Jean - Scarlet Witch
    Wolverine - Hulk (Hulkverine)
    Storm - Thor
    Bishop - Black Panther
    Domino - Black Widow
    Angel - Falcon
    Kitty- Hellcat
    Nightcrawler - Daredevil
    Captain Britain (Betsy) - Black Knight
    Psylocke - Shang Shi
    Colossus - Hercules
    Dazzler - Crystal
    Iceman - Winter Soldier
    Gambit - Hawkeye
    Magik - Dr Strange

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The X-Men as the de facto protectors of the world would be interesting to see. If the X-Men are stepping into the Avengers' roles, though, is the world aware at all that they're not exactly the same Avengers, or is reality warped to such an extent that everybody assumes the X-Men have always been the Avengers?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I would throw up

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

It would be interesting but I also would like a team up during a big crisis.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I would throw up
    I would throw up
    GrindrStone(D)

Okay, as amusing as it is, let's try and offer something a bit more constructive than "I would throw up."

Technically speaking, some of these concepts have happened in Marvel. In a dark future in the UU, Cyclops became Captain America when he got depowered and Steve died, Rogue became Captain Marvel in one of the universes Carol looked into with the Space Stone in the Infinity Wars: Captain Marvel, Wolverine became Hulkverine in Hulkverines and Magik while not quite Doctor Strange, became Sorcerer Supreme in an alternate 2099.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

For a while the X-men were the main defenders of earth after Onslaught and the FF and Avengers were "gone" but this wasn´t explored properly and then the Tunderbolts took the Avengers place. What I would like to see is a crisis big enough that it needs the help from both teams together, yes, with their disagreetments, but each team doing the best to get over this crisis. I think Onslaught was the last time all of marvel teams joined this way, maybe EMPYRE allows for something similar or close to it. But what I am most interested in is in conversations where each character has the oportunity to bring their pov in a constructive way and actually use each character past experiences to help solve the problem at hand.

Team ups I would like to see:

Jean - Wanda

Wolverine - Thor

Nighcrawler - Spider -man

Cyclops - Iron Man or Captain America

Professor X - Mr Fantastic or Dr Strange

Magneto - Captain America or Black Widow

Colossus - Ms Hulk

Rogue - Ms Marvel or Quicksilver

Magik - Scarlet Witch or Wasp

Those are at the top of my head
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-15-2020 at 07:09 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

The idea of "The X-Men try to be like the Avengers to change public perception" was already explored in Astonishing X-Men and the Extinction Team.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    A Marvel series I’d love to see: after another A+X crossover, an reality warping twist erases the Avengers and the X-Men stars a limited series taking over the Avengers monikers and looks.
    When the Avengers (and FF) left the world to protect it from Onslaught, and only the X-Men remained, I kind of expected that sort of scenario, the X-Men stepping up to fill the void.

Instead we got the Thunderbolts, which was also awesome, and I do not regret in the slightest, but it still feels like a missed opportunity, a squad of mutant heroes holding the fort at Avengers Mansion, filling the role of 'Earth's Mightiest Heroes,' and having to deal with a not-exactly-thrilled government that technically can't do squat about it (assuming that Tony gave them permission to hang there, or Warren bought the mansion, or whatever).

I'm not as into the notion of X-Men actually literally taking on Avengers roles, although Storm did make a pretty awesome Thor for all of a hot minute back in the New Mutants special set in Asgard. (And the visual of Cyclops with a red crystal-looking shield that is super-tough, but utterly transparent to his blasts (basically the opposite of ruby quartz), allowing him to *shoot through it* while still being protected behind it, is kinda neat.)

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post

Cyclops becomes Capitain America
    Rogue - Captain Marvel
    Magneto - Iron Man
    Jean - Scarlet Witch
    Wolverine - Hulk (Hulkverine)
    Storm - Thor
    Bishop - Black Panther
    Domino - Black Widow
    Angel - Falcon
    Kitty- Hellcat
    Nightcrawler - Daredevil
    Captain Britain (Betsy) - Black Knight
    Psylocke - Shang Shi
    Colossus - Hercules
    Dazzler - Crystal
    Iceman - Winter Soldier
    Gambit - Hawkeye
    Magik - Dr Strange
    An interesting idea. I would like to read the limited series if done well and in a positive light for the X-Men as Avengers.

? Would the Avengers then become the X-MEN?

How about

Justice as Cap
    Whizzer as Quicksilver
    El Aguila as Swordsman
    Micromax as Giant Man
    Ultra Girl as Ms. Marvel

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

This is exactly what I wouldn't want to see. X-Men shouldn't be X-Men because they can't be Avengers, as though somehow the Avengers are better. If the Avengers disappear, X-Men adopting mostly human identities to gain acceptance is an affront to everything they should stand for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    This is exactly what I wouldn't want to see. X-Men shouldn't be X-Men because they can't be Avengers, as though somehow the Avengers are better. If the Avengers disappear, X-Men adopting mostly human identities to gain acceptance is an affront to everything they should stand for.
    Avengers have a long history accepting mutants and X-men in their ranks. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were in the second roster in the 70s! The X-men also have occasionally done public service to help mutants with PR in getting accepted by humanity, like the early X-factors that hunted dangerous mutants for the American government and in Whedon's Astonishing X-men they deliberately leaned in on being super-heroes, like the Fantastic Four. They can be proud of their mutant heritage and be legacy heroes. Isn't assimilation the goal, not domination? The X-men keeping to their own corner of the universe makes this happen less often when doing so would be a sign of progress. It's not they don't participate in legacies of their own, like Laura taking on the Wolverine mantle. Kitty Pryde became Star-Lord, the original is a human super-hero.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    ...X-Men adopting mostly human identities to gain acceptance is an affront to everything they should stand for.
    ^^^A lot of readers felt that way about the original X-Factor concept.

Anyway, like others mentioned, the X-Men taking point after Onslaught was a wasted opportunity, but in no way do I regret the Thunderbolts.

Both would’ve been great.
    Maybe the X-Men get onto the T-Bolts, who try and turn ppl against them pointing out Onslaught was a mutant problem that cost everyone earth’s greatest heroes.