Invincible Member

Default Cyberpunk Recommendations?

So, like everyone else I have a little more free time on my hands. I'd heard some good things about the Altered Carbon TV show, but decided maybe I'll read the novel first. That got me thinking about other novels in that genre I've missed, so I'm probably going to find Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson after that. I've already read a couple of Will Gibson's later novels.

I'm curious, anything else in that genre that anyone would recommend?

Checkout the wiki of Cyberpunk - it's got lots of good lists of Novels, Films, Series, Games and Musics.

What I would recommand (from what I know, read, seen):

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968) Philip K. Dick <- the story has been made to various comics and movies (Blade Runner) - all of Philip K. Dick's story are must read and spawned many movies surch as I, Robot.
    The Incal (1981–1989) by Alejandro Jodorowsky <- awsome european comics drawn by the fabulous Moebius - A really must read
    Transmetropolitan (1997–2002) by Warren Ellis <- I love it and all of Warren Ellis' works are brilliant
    Akira (1982–1990) by Katsuhiro Ōtomo <- The Manga to read - it inspired so much people
    Ghost in the Shell (1989–1991) by Masamune Shirow <- another great manga
    Judge Dredd (1977–) by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra <- very fun to read
    The Matrix (1999-) by The Wachowskis <- great movies with Keanu Reeves - new one to come this year.
    Mr Robot (2015-2019) by Sam Esmail <- tv serie featuring the oscar winner Rami Malek
    Westworld (2016-) by Jonathan Nolan <- interresting serie based on the movie with the same name by Michael Crichton
    Videodrome (1986) by David Cronenberg <- by the great David Cronenberg (The Fly, Existenz, A History of Violence, A Dangerous Method, Maps to the Stars)
    The Fifth Element(1997) by Luc Besson <- featuring Bruce Willis - by the same who brought: Subway, Nikita, Léon: The Professional, Arthur and the Invisibles, The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, Lucy and Valerian
    District 9 (2009) by Neill Blomkamp <- very revolutionnary in how it's done - a must see

Hopefully you’ve seen Blade Runner and Blade runner 2049

Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams is a good start. And well, William Gibson of course.

I'm a bit ambivalent towards cyberpunk. It was most definitely an interesting and innovative literary movement, but many of its contributors and supporters also used it to erase much of the literary accomplishments that were made in science fiction during the 70s—dominated by women. Too many of the leading names (though not William Gibson) have turned out to be sexists or misogynists for my taste.

Like a lot of influential literary movements, it's also tricky to point at stuff written after a given period and say that it's cyberpunk or not, because it had widespread influences, and different elements of the initial form can be found in many different types of stories.

That said, Gibson is very much worth reading. Some other writers I can recommend are Pat Cadigan, Accelerando, Halting State, and Rule 34 by Charles Stross, the Bold as Love sequence by Gwyneth Jones, and Walter Jon Williams.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Checkout the wiki of Cyberpunk - it's got lots of good lists of Novels, Films, Series, Games and Musics.

What I would recommand (from what I know, read, seen):

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968) Philip K. Dick <- the story has been made to various comics and movies (Blade Runner) - all of Philip K. Dick's story are must read and spawned many movies surch as I, Robot.
    The Incal (1981–1989) by Alejandro Jodorowsky <- awsome european comics drawn by the fabulous Moebius - A really must read
    Transmetropolitan (1997–2002) by Warren Ellis <- I love it and all of Warren Ellis' works are brilliant
    Akira (1982–1990) by Katsuhiro Ōtomo <- The Manga to read - it inspired so much people
    Ghost in the Shell (1989–1991) by Masamune Shirow <- another great manga
    Judge Dredd (1977–) by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra <- very fun to read
    The Matrix (1999-) by The Wachowskis <- great movies with Keanu Reeves - new one to come this year.
    Mr Robot (2015-2019) by Sam Esmail <- tv serie featuring the oscar winner Rami Malek
    Westworld (2016-) by Jonathan Nolan <- interresting serie based on the movie with the same name by Michael Crichton
    Videodrome (1986) by David Cronenberg <- by the great David Cronenberg (The Fly, Existenz, A History of Violence, A Dangerous Method, Maps to the Stars)
    The Fifth Element(1997) by Luc Besson <- featuring Bruce Willis - by the same who brought: Subway, Nikita, Léon: The Professional, Arthur and the Invisibles, The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, Lucy and Valerian
    District 9 (2009) by Neill Blomkamp <- very revolutionnary in how it's done - a must see

I've read Through A Scanner Darkly and Flow My Tears by Dick. I saw the movie based on Scanner.

I'm familiar with Incal but I haven't read it yet. Definitely need to get on it.

I've got the first trade of Transmet. Plan on getting more soon.

I'm aware that the manga for Arika is different from the movie. I've been dragging my feet on it.

Shirow did Appleseed as well didn't he? I've read some of that, but didn't finish. I didn't think it was bad, I just got lazy.

Dredd didn't speak to me. I might rethink it though.

Matrix was fun

I've heard good things about Mr Robot.

Videodrone...isn't that more horror?

The 5th Element...speaking of Moebius LOL!

I saw District 9. I thought it was great.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Hopefully you’ve seen Blade Runner and Blade runner 2049
    Oh definitely!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams is a good start. And well, William Gibson of course.
    I'll check it out.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm a bit ambivalent towards cyberpunk. It was most definitely an interesting and innovative literary movement, but many of its contributors and supporters also used it to erase much of the literary accomplishments that were made in science fiction during the 70s—dominated by women. Too many of the leading names (though not William Gibson) have turned out to be sexists or misogynists for my taste.

Like a lot of influential literary movements, it's also tricky to point at stuff written after a given period and say that it's cyberpunk or not, because it had widespread influences, and different elements of the initial form can be found in many different types of stories.

That said, Gibson is very much worth reading. Some other writers I can recommend are Pat Cadigan, Accelerando, Halting State, and Rule 34 by Charles Stross, the Bold as Love sequence by Gwyneth Jones, and Walter Jon Williams.
    Do you mean the way women are portrayed in their stories or that the authors themselves have said sexist things in like interviews or something?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Do you mean the way women are portrayed in their stories or that the authors themselves have said sexist things in like interviews or something?
    Both, but especially the latter.

Remember that the formative part of the cyberpunk movement was in the 80s, which really wasn't a decade known for its progressive views on gender. I wouldn't be so bothered if some writers didn't view the old sexism as an essential part of their view of cyberpunk and kept it going.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Oh definitely!
    It’s so good isn’t it