Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Bumblebee (Karen Beecher-Duncan) Appreciation 2020

An appreciation thread for Karen Beecher-Duncan, who first appeared in Teen Titans #45 (December, 1976).

1977:

1989:

2006:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-11-2020 at 12:12 AM.

2011:

2017:

2018:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-11-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Bumblebee is my 2nd favorite Titan(after Donna Troy). I hope she appears on the Titans TV show soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Love these two!
    Malcolm Duncan and Karen Beecher as; The Guardian & The Bumblebee need to be showcased regulars on a team.
    Also get their own mini-series (with potential for ongoing) developing their characters.

They were all over the place with giving Malcolm a hero ID (less said the better), Wish they had just in continuity kept the Guardian exoskeleton and armor from the go.

If the name is taken just call him Vox Populi. a play on one of his older names, and new.

And Bumblebee: Karen Beecher
    Completely self made heroine, computer expert, physicist, engineer, designed, all her own tech and weaponry.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3882157

Last edited by Güicho; 04-17-2020 at 05:49 PM.

What is it about that powerset that makes creators not want to use them? Bumblebee, and Marvel's Wasp, have the same problem. Writers of their team books (Titans and Avengers respectively) don't want to use them (Rebirth only used her because it used all of the 1970s team). Seriously, I thought it odd that the live action Doom Patrol has Cyborg, but TIL it wasn't the first time they'd had a Titan other than Garfield Logan (who was on DP before the Titans) join them.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Bumblebee is my 2nd favorite Titan(after Donna Troy). I hope she appears on the Titans TV show soon.
    Yes, mine too!

She's obviously has several incarnations in different media and so forth. For you, what is the ideal time and method for her to enter the superhero community - presuming you were working from scratch? I have limited actual comic exposure to her. I like her, but don't like the '70s era Teen Titans (Jupiter, Lilith, and other stuff), so I'd have a clean break with the first set of Teen Titans and then the New Titans. For me, Karen's primary connection is Mal, and I don't really care either of them being connected to the Titans (probably because I haven't read a lot of '70s stuff that might have had them building those relationships. So I'm fine with the idea of them as independents.

Do you have any particular friendships or working relationships that you think are good for Karen? Even ones not explored in the comics that you think would work well?

Astonishing Member

Bumblebee was arguably the best thing to come out of the second run on Teen Titans. Actually, Mal as Guardian was great as well, but an editor didn't like him as Guardian -- though he was Guardian again by series end. Unfortunately, the DC Implosion occurred -- and there was little room to use the couple. I wish they had been used more in Perez era Titans. I was looking forward to them being used in Titans, but didn't care for the new take on them. And why do they try to retain that Herald/Hornblower b.s.?! Brett Booths's new design for Bumblebee wasn't very good.

But the Titans franchise has been a mess for 10 years or more --- mostly due to editorial interference, I believe.
    Last edited by kcekada; 04-18-2020 at 12:14 PM.

I love Bumblebee, I was introduced to her through the TT cartoon.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Good character, I really enjoyed her in the Titans run, hopefully she gets used more.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Bumblebee was arguably the best thing to come out of the section run on Teen Titans. Actually, Mal as Guardian was great as well, but an editor didn't like him as Guardian -- though he was Guardian again by series end. Unfortunately, the DC Implosion occurred -- and there was little room to use the couple.
    The wiki seems to have got the facts wrong about that. It lists TT as an Implosion victim, but says that Shazam, Karate Kid, and Freedom Fighters were cancelled a few months earlier and were not part of the Implosion. The problem? Those three books actually ended a few months AFTER Teen Titans. Which means if they weren't Implosion victims, neither is Titans. And Titans didn't have any unpublished issues, it actually ended with the team disbanding.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/DC_Implosion
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I agree love me some Bumblebee and her husband Mal aka the Herald.and wish DC would use them more.it would be great to see them hopefully in a future Titans based series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    She's obviously has several incarnations in different media and so forth. For you, what is the ideal time and method for her to enter the superhero community - presuming you were working from scratch? I have limited actual comic exposure to her. I like her, but don't like the '70s era Teen Titans (Jupiter, Lilith, and other stuff), so I'd have a clean break with the first set of Teen Titans and then the New Titans. For me, Karen's primary connection is Mal, and I don't really care either of them being connected to the Titans (probably because I haven't read a lot of '70s stuff that might have had them building those relationships. So I'm fine with the idea of them as independents.

Do you have any particular friendships or working relationships that you think are good for Karen? Even ones not explored in the comics that you think would work well?
    I knew her from her appearances in TT and YJ the animated series so I'd pull from that. Having her be an apprentice to Ray Palmer could be interesting.

I knew her from her appearances in TT and YJ the animated series so I'd pull from that. Having her be an apprentice to Ray Palmer could be interesting.
    Definitely a fun idea. But when? He was probably mid-to-late 20s when he became the Atom when Wally was 14. So I guess the question is how long he will be active and whether she'd be his student when he was the Atom or after he retires (if you like him retiring). She can't be an apprentice to him until college. I don't know that I want her to skip grades to be younger than 18 in college. Could wait until she was grad student, too. So there's a decent-size time period she could be active it.

Is there any other character you like to peg her to, age-wise? Like for me, certain generations (usually on teen teams together) just have to be similar in age.

Also, do we know anything at all about her birth family or background before becoming Bumblebee?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Definitely a fun idea. But when? He was probably mid-to-late 20s when he became the Atom when Wally was 14. So I guess the question is how long he will be active and whether she'd be his student when he was the Atom or after he retires (if you like him retiring). She can't be an apprentice to him until college. I don't know that I want her to skip grades to be younger than 18 in college. Could wait until she was grad student, too. So there's a decent-size time period she could be active it.

Is there any other character you like to peg her to, age-wise? Like for me, certain generations (usually on teen teams together) just have to be similar in age.

Also, do we know anything at all about her birth family or background before becoming Bumblebee?
    Interestingly, I don’t think she was originally given an origin that was all that in-depth. Bob Rozarkis wrote Karen as an individual caring enough to put on an act to make her boyfriend look like a competent hero in Teen Titans #49, but I think that was about it.