Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Interestingly, I don’t think she was originally given an origin that was all that in-depth. Bob Rozarkis wrote Karen as an individual caring enough to put on an act to make her boyfriend look like a competent hero in Teen Titans #49, but I think that was about it.
    I have read that. Though it's been a while, and I don't recall all the details. Caring, but kinda all about Mal. Not sure that's a good look, if you know what I mean. On the other hand, if she's Ray's protege...well, it's kinda something in common, given his motive for becoming the Atom was to boost his girlfriend's success as a lawyer. Kinda hilarious, really. They could so bond.

I just wondered if we ever learned anything more on her background later.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What is it about that powerset that makes creators not want to use them? Bumblebee, and Marvel's Wasp, have the same problem. Writers of their team books (Titans and Avengers respectively) don't want to use them (Rebirth only used her because it used all of the 1970s team). Seriously, I thought it odd that the live action Doom Patrol has Cyborg, but TIL it wasn't the first time they'd had a Titan other than Garfield Logan (who was on DP before the Titans) join them.
    Size alteration is not a popular power. I don't really like it but Bumblebee has grown on me so much over the years. I really wish DC would respect her more more so the comics side but the comic creators are heavily biased in who they use so I'm glad shes thriving in animation.

Astonishing Member

The size-changing thing is a recent development. She got shrunk and was unable to return to normal size during the 52 mini-series -- and was see as always small in Doom Patrol. The animated series is where she was first show to have powers more similar to Marvel's Wasp. I don't think she needs that ability. In Titans, they made her stings a bio-electrical power instead of being artificial (which was also something done to the Wasp over the years).

I preferred her being able to give herself powers through the use of the Bumblebee suit she created. In the 70s, it was suggested she had help creating the tech, but it was never fully established until Marv Wolfman declared it in New Teen Titans several years after the fact.

The size-changing thing is a recent development. She got shrunk and was unable to return to normal size during the 52 mini-series -- and was see as always small in Doom Patrol. The animated series is where she was first show to have powers more similar to Marvel's Wasp. I don't think she needs that ability. In Titans, they made her stings a bio-electrical power instead of being artificial (which was also something done to the Wasp over the years).
    I knew it was more recent from her, though didn't know when exactly it happened. I have to admit, with the name Bumblebee, she really doesn't need to be too Wasp-like.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Bumblebee as she appeared in Doom Patrol #20 (May, 2011).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Bumblebee as she appeared in Doom Patrol #20 (May, 2011).

That was a much better look than she had in Titans a few years ago. That could have been a great series, but they blew it!

BUMBLEBEE 0.jpglove me some Karen can't wait for DC to do something w her n Mal

BUMBLEBEE 2.jpganother nice pic

BUMBLEBEE 2.jpganother nice pic

BUMBLEBEE 1.jpgand another

BUMBLEBEE 3.jpglike this look as well

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Rather surprised how few times Karen has been featured as Bumblebee despite appearing as far back as the 70s and still being noticeably featured to this day. Seems that she was only featured in about 20 comic stories altogether in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Source: https://www.comics.org/search/advanc...ted=not&page=1

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Rather surprised how few times Karen has been featured as Bumblebee despite appearing as far back as the 70s and still being noticeably featured to this day. Seems that she was only featured in about 20 comic stories altogether in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
    She was introduced near the end of the first run of Teen Titans.
    She was iirc supposed in Teen Titans East but that book never happened, and after that most of her appearances were as background character in group shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What is it about that powerset that makes creators not want to use them? Bumblebee, and Marvel's Wasp, have the same problem. Writers of their team books (Titans and Avengers respectively) don't want to use them (Rebirth only used her because it used all of the 1970s team). Seriously, I thought it odd that the live action Doom Patrol has Cyborg, but TIL it wasn't the first time they'd had a Titan other than Garfield Logan (who was on DP before the Titans) join them.
    It's all in how it's depicted. I was annoyed in Avengers: EMH when Wasp would shrink down and go pew pew pew with her blasters because it did nothing except annoy her enemies. Whereas in Teen Titans, Bumblebee was depicted as an extraordinarily competent and effect hero able to resist Brother Blood's mind control ('A'int no man alive who can tell me what to do') and able to use her powers to go toe to toe with Cyborg and even toppled him over using her blasters while wasp sized.

I think the other reason might be that her powers are too visually similar to the Wasp/Janet Van Dyne and people might take it as a rip off. I don't agree since there is always the opportunity to out do the original version.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's all in how it's depicted. I was annoyed in Avengers: EMH when Wasp would shrink down and go pew pew pew with her blasters because it did nothing except annoy her enemies. Whereas in Teen Titans, Bumblebee was depicted as an extraordinarily competent and effect hero able to resist Brother Blood's mind control ('A'int no man alive who can tell me what to do') and able to use her powers to go toe to toe with Cyborg and even toppled him over using her blasters while wasp sized.

I think the other reason might be that her powers are too visually similar to the Wasp/Janet Van Dyne and people might take it as a rip off. I don't agree since there is always the opportunity to out do the original version.
    Remember that Karen is a genius who invented her weapons while Janet depends on someone else for her powers.