Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Some people just always got to be mad about something. Just the world we are in currently.
    Colorism is huge issue especially when it comes to black women.

The darker the skin the bigger the issue at times.

It's not limited to the black community.

I've seen it in toys.

https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us...doll-130-gdv13

For almost 2 years this doll was priced lower than the rest of the dolls in the same line it was from.

He was the only dark skinned doll in that line.

I guess they did catch flack for it because the new line has a dark skinned one that is not price differently.

Then you have casting in movies

See Sunspot in new Mutants.

See Wallace West and Peek A Boo from Flash.

Books that made it CLEAR the black person was dark skinned. Yet the casting for movies and shows have biracial or light skinned folks.

In comics Luke cage and Static were darker when they first appeared. Static was like that for 3 issues in his book before he got lighten up.

It's not so much folks overrating-it's folks calling out something that they have seen happen too many times.

In this case it might be something harmless.

I'm more used to Mal as Guardian than Herald but I'm open to either one.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

John Ridley says Mal and Karen will be book 2 of The Other History. He talks about them here https://www.dcfandome.com/link/watch...87080017244a3b

I love how he interprets Karen as a hidden figure and connects her to the book/movie becuase she really is a hidden figure especially in superheroics and science.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    John Ridley says Mal and Karen will be book 2 of The Other History. He talks about them here https://www.dcfandome.com/link/watch...87080017244a3b

I love how he interprets Karen as a hidden figure and connects her to the book/movie becuase she really is a hidden figure especially in superheroics and science.
    That's a really cool take on Karen! It'll be nice to get to read it .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

All I get is a thank you video -- no specific information.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What’s the opinion on Mal as Vox? Or Herald?

The thing about comics Guardian is that you’ve got Jim Harper and Jake Jordan with a higher ownership to the role.

Though I’ve heard some fans say call harper the Golden Guardian and Jake the Manhattan Guardian.
    I like him as Herald on the Teen Titans cartoon. I've seen his appearances as Guardian on both YJ and a handful of comics and it just doesn't do it for me. Normal man in power armor or exoskeleton is a well filled niche. Even the modern day Batsuit feels like a watered down Iron Man armor. Herald/Vox is more unique and contrasts well with Bumblebee.

Adore Perez's redesign. Those inky blacks, the bright yellows... clean and bold1da35a8ca5acb19b27062600077ab7b2.jpg

I like this costume. It also makes Karen look like a Bee-Woman especially with the eye/antennae blast.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Adore Perez's redesign. Those inky blacks, the bright yellows... clean and bold1da35a8ca5acb19b27062600077ab7b2.jpg

This is my favorite costume for Bumblebee!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This is my favorite costume for Bumblebee!
    I really like this costume, too.

But I am not familiar with all of the Bumblebee costumes, especially the newer ones.

Astonishing Member

I like it as well. He basically updated her original outfit -- which included a stinger in the back (he removed that -- it was a bit ridiculous). He also removed the honey guns that were attached to her wrist bracelets -- again ridiculous!

Her costume and hairstyle in Rebirth were her worst to date. I don't mind her showing her hair -- but the long style just didn't suit her. I know people love a lot of unnecessary tech added to heroes' outfits -- and that could be done easy enough by replacing some of the bands on her costume with tech.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I like it as well. He basically updated her original outfit -- which included a stinger in the back (he removed that -- it was a bit ridiculous). He also removed the honey guns that were attached to her wrist bracelets -- again ridiculous!

Her costume and hairstyle in Rebirth were her worst to date. I don't mind her showing her hair -- but the long style just didn't suit her. I know people love a lot of unnecessary tech added to heroes' outfits -- and that could be done easy enough by replacing some of the bands on her costume with tech.
    Yeah I don't get clunky tech. When you go from the above costume ( sleek, graphic, with all the tech) to something clunky and Robotech looking? Blech. It seems like a step backwards.

Same with Victor . As busy as his original look was, it was at least within human proportions. Seems like everything after that was so clunky and unwieldy....

Ultimate Member

Yeah I don't get clunky tech. When you go from the above costume ( sleek, graphic, with all the tech) to something clunky and Robotech looking? Blech. It seems like a step backwards.

Same with Victor . As busy as his original look was, it was at least within human proportions. Seems like everything after that was so clunky and unwieldy....
    A mix is nice. Sleek, but with the tech elements confined to a backpack or some gauntlets or something. No bulky stuff obscuring the smooth lines, unless you're going for someone like Steel or Iron Man, whose entire body is supposed to be wrapped in tech.

Skyrocket, from the Power Company, managed to have a nice mix of sleek bodysuit and tech backpack going on.

Astonishing Member

I like his look in the animated Teen Titans. The current comics look to feature all metal is boring. Perez's design worked because he was showing a lot of skin among the armor. Can't have that, so now we just have a rather drab look. The cartoon added black to add some contrast -- and it looks sleek and modern.

Before the New Teen Titans, there were the original Teen Titans. In the tumultuous 1970s, in an America that was very different than today but in many ways all too familiar, the trials and tribulations of these young heroes were witnessed by two of DC's first Black superheroes: Karen Beecher-Duncan, better known as Bumblebee, and Mal Duncan—even if their versions of events are often at odds. And across that decade, they fought for their seats at the Titans' table while joining the battle against injustice.
    The long-awaited miniseries written by Academy Award-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave, Let It Fall) and beautifully illustrated by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Andrea Cucchi continues to look at the mythology of the DC Universe as seen through the prism of DC Super Heroes who come from traditionally disenfranchised groups.