Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Aurora (Jeanne-Marie Beaubier) Appreciation 2020

An appreciation thread for Aurora, who first appeared in The X-Men #120 (April, 1979).

1980:

1984:

1985:

1991:

1992:

1995:

2003:

2006:

2016:

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I've always really liked Aurora. I'm happy that she's joining X-Factor full-time, and to see what Leah does with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    I've always really liked Aurora. I'm happy that she's joining X-Factor full-time, and to see what Leah does with her.
    Me too.

So many good characters seem to have disappeared from books.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

My favourite Aurora look. (Sadly, I will not be buying/reading DoX X-Factor as I absolutely loathe the artist)
    AF Aurora 01.jpg
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Aurora & Nightcrawler.
    Romance.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    My favourite Aurora look. (Sadly, I will not be buying/reading DoX X-Factor as I absolutely loathe the artist)
    AF Aurora 01.jpg
    Yeah, that was a hot look with a great costume!

I know nothing about her except that she's Northstar's sister, was in Alpha Flight and is friggin crazy

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Aurora & Nightcrawler.
    Romance.

Thoughts?
    I think they could be cute. Though, Nightcrawler is very shippable. He's so charismatic, that you could really pair him with anyone lol.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    An appreciation thread for Aurora, who first appeared in The X-Men #120 (April, 1979).

1984:

This is perhaps my favorite AF cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    AF Aurora 01.jpg
    Mine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I know nothing about her except that she's Northstar's sister, was in Alpha Flight and is friggin crazy
    She can move and fly at super-speed and also generate a blinding light. From some molecular tinkering, she cannot be identified by electronics (Sentinels) as a mutant.

Aurora has a Mutant Twin Brother (Northstar) who has the same powers. Aurora is Marvel's second female superspeedster.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 04-17-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Aurora & Nightcrawler.
    Romance.

Thoughts?
    I don't ship them but I thought their meeting in Uncanny X-Men was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Well, her past goes something like this:

“The life of Jeanne-Marie Beaubier started with tragedy, as soon after her and her brother Jean-Paul’s birth, their parents were killed in an accident. The twins were brought to their mother’s cousins, the Martins, but they could not afford to adopt both children, so they arranged for Jeanne-Marie to be raised at the nearby Madame DuPont's School for Girls, which was government subsidized. As the Martins soon moved away because of a job offer and died in another accident a couple of years later, the twins grew up separate and unaware of each other.

Run by nuns, DuPont's was one of the last schools of its kind, staunchly clinging to the harsh ways of another century. Possibly because of her pointed ears, the headmistress, Sister Anne, thought that Jeanne-Marie had the look of the devil about her and would often pick on her, cruelly punishing her for every minor disobedience. Jeanne-Marie grew up to be nervous, introverted and terribly shy. She felt unwanted and alone, and by the time she was thirteen years old, her only thought was to escape from this life by any means. One night, she sneaked into the school's attic, opened a window and walked out on the roof. She jumped off, intending to kill herself, only - before she hit the ground - her mutant powers kicked in and she flew. Within seconds, she found herself miles high in the sky, observing the city lights of LaVelle, Quebec, down below. Considering her gift a miracle, she returned to the school and made the mistake of telling Sister Anne about it. The nun considered Jeanne-Marie's story blasphemy and punished her again. It didn't end with being beaten up by the nun, as Jeanne-Marie also had to pray in the chapel for hours while the other girls were having their evening meal.

Already weakened by the constant struggle of her upbringing, Jeanne-Marie's fragile psyche cracked under the strain. That night, a second personality emerged, one that wouldn't obey to the rules of DuPont's and who would use her newfound powers to escape. Three days later, Jeanne-Marie returned to school, disoriented and confused. She couldn't explain where she had been, nor why she was wearing make-up, something that was also not allowed by the nuns. Naturally, she received another punishment and, from then on, Jeanne-Marie played along the rules, keeping her other self bottled up. In fact, she suppressed her wild, free side so much that she became as cold, stern and controlled as the nuns themselves.

Five years later, Jeanne-Marie graduated from school and because of the "good progress” she had made ever since "that unfortunate incident" back then, Sister Anne accepted Jeanne-Marie's application to join the teaching staff. She was shown to her room but, once she was left alone, it took just one careless moment for Jeanne-Marie's other side to come out again. Relieved to have reached her goals, Jeanne-Marie's eyes met the mirror on the wall, with the woman looking back at her asking if this was really all that she could dream of and enough for one who could fly.

Within the hour, Jeanne-Marie was at one of Montreal's hottest nightclubs, dancing, flirting and enjoying herself. When she took a stroll through the city, she also ventured to some less desirable areas, where she was met by two muggers. She knocked out one of them with a super-fast punch and, before she could engage the other in a fight, unexpected help arrived in the form of a governmental agent, codenamed Wolverine. He had recognized something odd about Jeanne-Marie and followed her for several blocks until she got into trouble. Logan explained Canada's plan to have their own super-powered operatives to Jeanne-Marie, and invited her to accompany him to the headquarters of Department H in Ottawa.

Like every other candidate of the Flight Program, Jeanne-Marie underwent several tests, both physical and psychological ones, but the rift between her two personalities was so complete that James Hudson and his staff did not discover her dissociative identity disorder at first. It was Hudson's wife, Heather, who first recognized Jeanne-Marie's uncanny resemblance to Olympic ski champion Jean-Paul Martin and, doing further research, they uncovered the birth and adoption records proving them to be twins. Jean-Paul was invited to join Department H as well and, even though he had no intention of working for the government at first, he changed his mind after being introduced to his twin sister. Shaking hands, the siblings discovered that they possessed one more ability - to generate a brilliant dazzling light upon physical contact. The twins received the codenames Aurora and Northstar. By the time Jeanne-Marie's multiple personality disorder was diagnosed, it was decided that she was already too far ahead in the Flight Program to expel her, besides, being with her brother seemed to have a stabilizing effect on the "Aurora" identity of her psyche.” - https://uncannyxmen.net/node/5797/page/0/1

Aurora is dramatically under-used, she was always my favorite in AF and it's a shame she never really was in any x-men team.... I liked as well when she refused the offer from Norman Osborn to be part of his dark x-men... and got away with it, beating up Norman...she is not to be underestimate!