Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Mystique along side the team makes me think this is like the most recent X-Men films in animated form(if this in fact a premise for a new animated series). If this actually becomes a thing... [deep voice dramatic tone] "I foresee this being one of the worst things to happen to the X-Men in a very long time and it's repercussions could be... catastrophic."
    Mystique has been an X-men alongside the rest of the group for years now in the comics. This may be less movie influence and more so where her character is in the modern era

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    More images of the Disney+ X-Men character designs via @JasonIrelan YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB9...WCfcXrcXOM6YmA

And @fromtheashes28 and @happycolor_official on Instagram (more images via links)
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAnnQOsA...d=77htxr0nnjxg
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAdej8mD...d=3d0bggy15jtb
    Attachment 97022 Attachment 97023 Attachment 97024
    Fanart or real?

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Fanart or real?
    It’s real. Part of an official Marvel cross-promotion with the happy color app.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

UGH! WTF is Storm wearing? Whatever that shyt is...That is NOT a cape.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

If Marvel is smart, they will try to capitalize on nostalgia and appeal to the 90's animated series audience. A *lot* of these 30-somethings are now parents of their own children that they'd likely want to watch a new cartoon based on the 90's one with.

Let's not forget Wolverine and the X-Men which tried to distance itself from TAS and suffered for it with only one season.
    I agree with you. But not for the reasons you stated. I think that if Disney is smart, they will capitalize on a time when the X-Men were heroes who bravely lived in a world that hated them. Not the entitled petulance that the X books have turned into.
    As for the tone of the cartoons, It depends on the W&TXM was a bit more adult in tone, in that it had a complex narrative and one plot point got transferred to other episodes. So you had to pay attention. It wasn't just a mindless cartoon where you had to turn your brains off. That being said it was the TAS that got me into the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Yes, let it go. You can never get childhood back again. It won't be the same and things shouldn't try to be the same. People need to let go. It's ok for new things to happen.
    I was never a 'child' when I started reading the X-Men or when I started collecting comic books for that matter. I was in university.

TAS is the reason I got into the X-Men, and I wouldn't mind seeing a cartoon that reflected that time. When the X-Men knew how to stand on their own two feet bravely dealt with the hardships and ugliness of life --which is what a hero does. As opposed to the persecution complex/victim mentality that are in the books now. Honestly we don't need a show that perpetuates entitlement. We have enough of that in society as it is. We have a hard time as it is keeping Covid-19 numbers down. Because people think it's a hardship to stay home with their kids.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Mystique has been an X-men alongside the rest of the group for years now in the comics. This may be less movie influence and more so where her character is in the modern era
    If they put Mystique on the team and not Kurt, I will sulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

This is not dated at all and this is not the 90s look with a different color
    The green and yellow recolor of the X-men red costume suffers from lack of detail in the torso and unnecessary shoulder armor. There needs to be lining or more color contrast in the chest to break up all that green. Jean deserves a better design.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I though it was just fanart but Dike Ruen posted on 24.03 pic and team has the same costumes

Many of the posters in this thread have made valid points about the dangers of nostalgia and a slavish adherence to the early 90's aesthetic of Jim Lee's X-Men. I have to admit it's hard to disagree with the points raised by most of them. Claremont's stories are still remembered because he pushed the envelope and tried new things with the characters, which is exactly what the franchise needs now and will always need. However, here's the kicker...

I fucking adore that art and I'd love to watch an animated series that utilised a stylised twist on Jim Lee's take on the team (such as exhibited in the image above). Which probably makes me a bit of a hypocrite and a slave to my own childhood. However, I'm willing to accept that fans of a different vintage might not share my enthusiasm.
    Last edited by EndangeredSpecies; 05-27-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That promo art is effin' sweet, though. I initially thought it was Larraz. Who this RUAN is he/she's good.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Mystique along side the team makes me think this is like the most recent X-Men films in animated form(if this in fact a premise for a new animated series). If this actually becomes a thing... [deep voice dramatic tone] "I foresee this being one of the worst things to happen to the X-Men in a very long time and it's repercussions could be... catastrophic."
    Being a lifetime X-Men fan, Fox's decision to put Mystique/JLaw front and center is one of those things that I might never recover from....

That being said, here I think Mystique was probably just added for the coloring book. If you'll notice, she didn't get a redesign. Magneto, for example, got a Disney+ avatar and a redesign.

vlcsnap-2020-05-27-22h29m56s372.jpg
    Last edited by superjosh; 05-27-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Being a lifetime X-Men fan, Fox's decision to put Mystique/JLaw front and center is one of those things that I might never recover from....

That being said, here I think Mystique was probably just added for the coloring book. If you'll notice, she didn't get a redesign. Magneto, for example, got a Disney+ avatar and a redesign.

Yeah. It seems so. Iceman probably too.

Quote Originally Posted by EndangeredSpecies View Post
    Many of the posters in this thread have made valid points about the dangers of nostalgia and a slavish adherence to the early 90's aesthetic of Jim Lee's X-Men. I have to admit it's hard to disagree with the points raised by most of them. Claremont's stories are still remembered because he pushed the envelope and tried new things with the characters, which is exactly what the franchise needs now and will always need. However, here's the kicker...

I fucking adore that art and I'd love to watch an animated series that utilised a stylised twist on Jim Lee's take on the team (such as exhibited in the image above). Which probably makes me a bit of a hypocrite and a slave to my own childhood. However, I'm willing to accept that fans of a different vintage might not share my enthusiasm.
    Honestly, if Cyclops were to lose the head sock and Jean were to go with the more modern green/yellow design she wore in Giant Size X-men Jean Grey & Emma Frost one-shot (in that Russell Dauterman image above), I would think that the current costumes would be a perfect blend of old and new for a medium like a cartoon. Or video games. While Logan did wear the blue/yellow costume for most of the 90s, in the beginning of the Claremont/Lee X-men run he was wearing the brown/tan. And I’ve always felt that it was the better costume for a character like Logan. Makes him seem more feral and menacing, plus allows him to blend in to the environment rather than stand out like a piss-yellow beacon. My $.02.

I don’t hate that Magneto design. But, again, I think his current one is better. Maybe they could just recolor it from white/black to red/purple? Just a thought.

Fantastic Member

I like the Dawn of X looks.

I would hope a new cartoon might capture the serious tone of the 90's Xmen TAS but I dont want a continuation. I'd like to see a reboot in which they told some of tge old stories but tweeked a bit to fit more modern times or at least fixed some of the potholes from the old comics

Not crazy about the purple on the torso.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    I like the Dawn of X looks.

I would hope a new cartoon might capture the serious tone of the 90's Xmen TAS but I dont want a continuation. I'd like to see a reboot in which they told some of tge old stories but tweeked a bit to fit more modern times or at least fixed some of the potholes from the old comics
    I assume that, even if a new cartoon hearkens to the 90's show, it won't be treated as a continuation and there will probably be plenty of modern or newer stuff injected into it.

Like how the Ducktales reboot has gone back to the original Carl Barks comics but has also updated and incorporated different elements and properties then the old Ducktales did.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'm not sure I like that Magneto costume........