Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

I could never get into Evolution. I tried watching it a few times but every time I was always distracted by characters that were absolutely nothing like their comic book counterparts.

I really liked Evolution. Some of the characters could be a bit cringe-y but considering their age I let it pass. Rogue took some adjusting to but despite looking strikingly different to Southern Belle Rogue, she had a lot of simliarties to her 80s version. But a bit more Goth than Punk style. She kept all her core personality traits of being a hot-head and distrustful.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Evolution is worth it to see Wanda solo the X-Men.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Evolution is worth it to see Wanda solo the X-Men.
    I forgot about emo Wanda! Honestly these cartoons really had me thinking she was a core X-Men character so I was shook when I stared reading the comics.

Astonishing Member

Reading various opinions regarding the past 3 X-men cartoons, it seems that what ever they eventualy do they can't make everyone happy.

For example.
    If they focus more on the young heros aspects, retelling (in different form) the origins of the X-men like Evolution did, they dissapoint those who want the adult adventures right away or got tired of the hero school aspects. But if they go with adult versions right away, they might lose those who want youth heros and a modern retelling of the X-men's origins.

Likewise if they focus more on an urban hero aspects, they might dissapoint those who want space, magic and global adventures, but if they go with that they might dissapoint those who want a bigger focus on urban adventures befitting the minority representation aspects.

Finaly if they try to please both sides they always run the risk of dissapointing everyone.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

A new animated series would be nice just to see some of the new threats that were introduced like Cassandra Nova, Bastion and Xorn.
    "Cable was right!"

I cannot wait for a new cartoon.

It feels like ages since we got WATXM. Which, IMO, had great designs but very weird script choices. Evo I didn't care for. I hated that they made Storm, Beast and Wolverine so much older then Jean and Cyke.
    Last edited by MentalManipulator; 10-28-2020 at 08:34 PM.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I hated that too. Storm was horrible in that show in general, only slightly better than WatX. And the same can be said about that show as a whole, I can only stomach the last two seasons of it. The whole set up with the X-Men having to go to a normal human school where Mystique moonlighs as the principal was just so ridiculous...What the hell was she even doing there? Waiting to put them in detention? And the love triangle between Scott, Jean and some stupid jock...It wasn't great.
    I don't think they quite knew how to translate "The Goddess" into a teenage character.

I think Mystique was there because Magneto wanted her to be there to keep tabs on the X-Men and her own recruits Toad, Blob, Avalanche and Quicksilver. Personally, I liked the X-Men going to the school because it gave them an excuse to go out and be around other people and act like regular people. One of the things that bothers me about the X-Men in general is how easy it is to turn them into shut-ins. It's too easy to distill the non-mutant response to mutants be fear, hatred and the formation of lynch mobs, so since every human is a violent bigot you just have the X-Men never leave home even for missions. Just have villains attack the mansion.

I mean, neither of these are fan favorite things, but they're two of the things I actually like about Claremont's X-Treme X-Men and the super flawed Generation X TV pilot. Claremont had them go out into the world and meet people and not all of them wanted to kill them. And the Gen X pilot had the students actually mention how much they hated having to stay at the Academy so much.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I cannot wait for a new cartoon.

It feels like ages since we got WATXM. Which, IMO, had great designs but very weird script choices.
    Definitely agree with this. Definitely my favorite cartoon look for Gambit
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Definitely agree with this. Definitely my favorite cartoon look for Gambit
    Right? I also loved Emma, Magneto, Wanda, Lorna, Betsy, Scott, Kurt and Rogue. The only ones I disliked were Kitty and Storm. Storm looked gorgeous in Evo though.
    A picture would last longer darling...

I really enjoyed the characters and animation in W&TXM.

I think the characters were a bit cringy in X-Men Evolution (and were immediately dated upon arrival) but the story between Season 3 and 4 was the strongest of all animated X-Men series.

I did love X-Men: TAS for what it was. I think it was a closer adaptation to the comics, but I don't remember it as fondly as most fans. I have always been obsessed with X-Men, but honestly enjoyed the Spider-Man and Batman cartoons of that era more.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    Right? I also loved Emma, Magneto, Wanda, Lorna, Betsy, Scott, Kurt and Rogue. The only ones I disliked were Kitty and Storm. Storm looked gorgeous in Evo though.
    Oh man, Rogue, Lorna, and Wanda both looked great as well. And Nightcrawler's might be my favorite look for him, honestly. I had to look up the others to refresh my memory. I forgot about Betsy's. Such a cool take on her costume

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I think the characters were a bit cringy in X-Men Evolution (and were immediately dated upon arrival) but the story between Season 3 and 4 was the strongest of all animated X-Men series.
    Honestly, as much as I like Evo, there are definitely some cringy things in it (well, TAS has that too, I guess). The biggest thing for me re-watching it is Kitty's dialogue gets on my nerves
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Reading various opinions regarding the past 3 X-men cartoons, it seems that what ever they eventualy do they can't make everyone happy.

For example.
    If they focus more on the young heros aspects, retelling (in different form) the origins of the X-men like Evolution did, they dissapoint those who want the adult adventures right away or got tired of the hero school aspects. But if they go with adult versions right away, they might lose those who want youth heros and a modern retelling of the X-men's origins.

Likewise if they focus more on an urban hero aspects, they might dissapoint those who want space, magic and global adventures, but if they go with that they might dissapoint those who want a bigger focus on urban adventures befitting the minority representation aspects.

Finaly if they try to please both sides they always run the risk of dissapointing everyone.
    I don't think that's really the case. I think the consensus leans towards most people wanting a modern but faithful adaptation. I don't think anyone really WANTS a young hero version... more just that some people were ok with it or didn't mind it with EVO.

Those that want to continue TAS(1992), myself included, aren't asking for something stagnant or nostalgic. I think we just have trust in that series and think it would be easy to continue in a modern way. Those that liked WatX seem to single out the design aspect as its strength.

To me, it seems like it would be VERY easy to find something that pleases everyone. I think quality, tone, and fidelity to the source material are the biggest concern and that's universal.

There is a way to please everyone to a degree: Good stories, even original ideas, great artwork/animation, voices and power displays.

Keep the characters true to their character in all the ways that matter and show. You will have lots and lots of fans.

The new book from Eric and Julia Lewald (X-Men:TAS showrunner and series writer, respectively and also married couple) is amazing. Eric, in particular, fought so hard for the series and really GOT what the X-Men were all about. The anecdotes about the whole production of season 1 are fascinating. For someone who was new to the X-Men world, he and his team had a vision, and they risked everything... standing up to Marvel executives, Fox Kids higher-ups, and Stan Lee himself. (Stan was a saint but also pretty out of touch. He really really wanted to do a live introduction to each episode like it was Stan Lee's story time. And then wrap up each episode with a "moral of the story".)

That's why I trust his team and am in favor of a revival series.