Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BishopsJuice91 View Post
    The thing is I think most XM fans wanna see some different faces than we got in TAS. Colossus, Kurt, Kitty, Betsy etc hopefully if they do revisit TAS we get a revolving door of guest appearances from other fan favs...
    But most casual fans want to see the most recognizable X-Men. And it's not like XTAS didn't sneak in tons of guest stars each season.

I don't get the people saying that they're bad just because they're nostalgic.

The 90s designs were the ones they sued when the X-men were at their absolute peak of popularity. They're the ones that people only vaguely familiar with the characters would know. It makes sense to use those designs (or at least slight tweaks of them.)

Having said that, I think they could use a bit more tweaking. I really think Storm's design is a bit too busy and the X in the middle of Jean's chest looks out of place.

This thing will be aimed at kids and they will grasp onto whichever characters that it launches with. Holding onto 90s nostalgia from 25 years ago means diddly squat to an audience that is largely unfamiliar with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This thing will be aimed at kids and they will grasp onto whichever characters that it launches with. Holding onto 90s nostalgia from 25 years ago means diddly squat to an audience that is largely unfamiliar with that.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm kinda confused at what your argument is exactly? Are you saying you don't think a new animated series should use costumes, the lineup, or the storylines from the 90's cartoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm kinda confused at what your argument is exactly? Are you saying you don't think a new animated series should use costumes, the lineup, or the storylines from the 90's cartoon?
    It shouldnt be beholden to them. Alot of the arguments im seeing people in this mention is how the 90s was when the X-men were most popular. This is what casual fans will recognize. These were the looks that people are familiar with. The 90s are what they should capitalize, etc... Its okay to have a different lineup as it is to use different costumes. Nostalgia means little to younger audiences, which Im sure will be the target demographic. There is alot in the X-world to take inspiration from that the 90s should not have to be the foundation for this

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It shouldnt be beholden to them. Alot of the arguments im seeing people in this mention is how the 90s was when the X-men were most popular. This is what casual fans will recognize. These were the looks that people are familiar with. The 90s are what they should capitalize, etc... Its okay to have a different lineup as it is to use different costumes. Nostalgia means little to younger audiences, which Im sure will be the target demographic. There is alot in the X-world to take inspiration from that the 90s should not have to be the foundation for this

The thing is that we dont know who will be the target audience. I mean, they're not stupid. They know the X-Men apeal much more for a young adult/adult audience than to children. Also, they already have a lot child friendly content on Disney+. They need new content to being older audiences.

So, from what I'm understanding...Marvel apparently commissioned these new designs for official art using the X-Men? It'd be kind of weird to do that without using them in something major like a cartoon or video game.

I really don't have a problem with the designs. I mean, adaptions or other media hearken back to old iconic costumes/looks all the time. It beats aping the movies ad nauseam like the recent Marvel cartoons have done.

I don't like Storm with a mohawk though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore Frost View Post
    The thing is that we dont know who will be the target audience. I mean, they're not stupid. They know the X-Men apeal much more for a young adult/adult audience than to children. Also, they already have a lot child friendly content on Disney+. They need new content to being older audiences.
    Ideally they should be aiming for both. The X-Men haven't really been a part of children's television since 2009, and they've only recently just featured FF members in that Marvel Super Hero Adventures Youtube series aimed at younger audiences.

Astonishing Member

That seems to be the reasoning, why would marvel/Disney create new art instead of using already existing art.

As to why ‘nostalgia’ when kids don’t care. Keeping in mind that all of this is still speculation, kids don’t care about ‘nostalgia’ but those characters/designs worked before, so they could work again (the thinking behind most reboots). Second, parents see the commercials for new X-men show, they remember how much they liked TAS as a kid, and say ‘hey-do you want to watch this show?’ Same reason Disney made a reboot of duck tales and mostly kept the same cast and designs. Kids had no nostalgia for Ducktales, but their parents did.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvatore Frost View Post
    Young Adult as in what, 17, 18? When people are talking about the 90s nostalgia, that audience is largely in their 30s or 40s now and no I dont think they are making an adult cartoon for D+

The X-men mainly appealing to older fans is bc the line has largely been absent from any media push for the past decade. It hasnt been relevant to kids bc Disney hasnt done anything with it and for reasons that I wont get into here.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    That seems to be the reasoning, why would marvel/Disney create new art instead of using already existing art.

As to why ‘nostalgia’ when kids don’t care. Keeping in mind that all of this is still speculation, kids don’t care about ‘nostalgia’ but those characters/designs worked before, so they could work again (the thinking behind most reboots). Second, parents see the commercials for new X-men show, they remember how much they liked TAS as a kid, and say ‘hey-do you want to watch this show?’ Same reason Disney made a reboot of duck tales and mostly kept the same cast and designs. Kids had no nostalgia for Ducktales, but their parents did.
    The designs worked before bc they were modern and concurrent to the changes in the comics. The Lee designs helped hip and spoke to trends from that era in the way that the classic costumes from the 70s did not and felt out of date in the early 90s. Almost 30 years later, those same 90s designs now feel like those 70s designs did back then. IMO those redeigns we see largely look a mess and the 90s looks they were based on feel out of date in 2020
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-19-2020 at 12:24 PM.

These costumes make sense IF Disney plans on continuing the original series.

For a new series I would like to see new costumes that adopt the most iconic elements of each X character.

And I’m sorry, but Jean’s Giant sized X-men costume and her X-men Red costumes are generic AF. There is no detail on her chest and the torso has too much of the same color. It bothers me so much as she’s my favorite character. I wish Jean could wear her Phoenix costume without the Phoenix force and be Phoenix in name only as she did during the 12 Saga and bask in her pink telekinetic glory.

When I say I want and adult X-men cartoon on D+, I don't mean one that contains sex, violence, profanity or anything of that sort. Just a cartoon with a mature tone that takes itself seriously and puts an emphasis on action and character drama with moments of levity instead of committing fully to childish comedy. Something similar in tone to Justice League Unlimited or Young Justice is what I want.

Kids know who the X-men are. The major ones anyway. All my friends’ young kids know them. My own kids (11 and 13) know them. My younger nephews know them. I guess from mobile games, toys, T-shirts and other merchandise; maybe guest appearances in other cartoons? But they know who Wolverine is. Cyclops and Storm too. And “Deadpool’s big metal friend” as one of my friend’s little guys referred to Colossus. LOL. I think he had seen ‘Once Upon a Deadpool’.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    These costumes make sense IF Disney plans on continuing the original series.

For a new series I would like to see new costumes that adopt the most iconic elements of each X character.
    Agreed for a direct continuation it makes sense. Though for me start of 90s nostalgia is long ago played out.

Here's Ruan's pic in better quality. It is interesting that it is the exact cast of the cartoon (including a Sentinel, which was really integral in the 90s cartoon). I'd be happy with these designs because they're updated so they'd pop more in HD. I don't like Storm's design though. I only like her mohawk with the leather look, or at the very least an all black costume. I also hate Storm in white costumes.

ET4xrSlU4AMp7Zs.jpg

original:

https://twitter.com/dike_ruan/status...85185347637249
    Last edited by superjosh; 04-19-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't like Storm with a mohawk though.
    I'm not a fan of her mohawk in that look, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    When I say I want and adult X-men cartoon on D+, I don't mean one that contains sex, violence, profanity or anything of that sort. Just a cartoon with a mature tone that takes itself seriously and puts an emphasis on action and character drama with moments of levity instead of committing fully to childish comedy. Something similar in tone to Justice League Unlimited or Young Justice is what I want.
    You're also describing the original X-Men, which had nuanced and sophisticated storylines enjoyed by both kids and adults in the 90's. Disney will hopefully want to appeal to the broadest audience as possible like the original X-Men series did.