Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Scandal pushes even left leaning ppl to the limit until they are forced to drop the show. Everyone is horrible in that show. EVERYONE.
    Are they horrible? The repetitive plotting was what eventually drove me from the show (Papa Pope does something scenery chew, rinse, repeat), maybe I just blocked that from my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Are they horrible? The repetitive plotting was what eventually drove me from the show (Papa Pope does something scenery chew, rinse, repeat), maybe I just blocked that from my memory.
    By the end of the show, everyone was either a murderer or an accomplice to covering up a murder.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    By the end of the show, everyone was either a murderer or an accomplice to covering up a murder.
    Should have figured. I know Huck had super PTSD murder powers, but I guess they spread like an STD.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Shows that bring politics into the story are usually written and produced by someone who has a strong political ideology. Otherwise they wouldn't be bringing politics into the show. And the majority of political activists
    that are also creative talents are liberal. So they write characters that reflect their ideology. There just aren't all that many conservative political activists that are involved in making movies and TV for what ever reason.
    It doesn't interest them. They are black balled. They don't have as many connections.
    Writing about people means you have to care about people. You have to understand human beings, emotions, motives, conflicts and what drives those things. It means being, and asking others human being to be invested in those characters. It means caring.

Show me a conservative who cares about human beings over profit for companies "lobbying" them. Seriously. Show me a modern Republican who gives a single **** about people and I will show you children being ripped from their parents and kept in cages. You can't be the hero when your actions are in line with literal Nazi policies.

Nobody wants to watch a show that is literally about money. That's what Republicans care about. That's it. Money and power. Power only because it means money.

Sorry, dudes, but your party has been hijacked by disgusting con men. You've been lied to, and manipulated by people who don't give a single **** about you or your children. You can't make those people the heroes of fiction because there's nothing heroic about them.
    Last edited by Joker; 04-20-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Watch Scandal. I made it past the first 4 seasons before I had to stop.The president is republican. President Fitz Gerald Grant

He has a black mistress because you know Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemming was not enough.
    His chief of staff is gay
    he is anti gun
    He is for gay marriage
    He is more interested in calling out hypocrisies of the pro life people

The creator of the show Shonda Rhimes is very left wing. She created a parody republican president as a platform to push liberal policies.
    I skimmed this before, but looking at it again, and wow! There is some impressive crazy

"He has a black mistress because you know Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemming was not enough."

Dude, WTF? I don't think you have to be a democrat to find a black woman attractive. I don't see skin color and gender as an automatic comparison to Sally Hemming as Ms. Pope isn't a, ya know, slave in early America.

As for another point...

"His chief of staff is gay"

This seems like an implicit acknowledgment that Republicans are homophobic. While I don't believe that to be the case with all Republicans (just most), it doesn't really support the idea that Republicans deserve more airtime.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Scandal pushes even left leaning ppl to the limit until they are forced to drop the show. Everyone is horrible in that show. EVERYONE.
    LOL exactly what I was thinking. And the liberal characters (while the protagonists) are supposed to be better? If anything a lot of them come across as the stereotypical liberal hypocrites by lecturing other characters on morality while failing to clean up their own houses.

How To Get Away With Murder is the similar vein. They are almost assuredly a liberal group and almost everyone on the show is awful.

There's awful people everywhere. It's not a binary.

I skimmed this before, but looking at it again, and wow! There is some impressive crazy

"He has a black mistress because you know Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemming was not enough."

Dude, WTF? I don't think you have to be a democrat to find a black woman attractive. I don't see skin color and gender as an automatic comparison to Sally Hemming as Ms. Pope isn't a, ya know, slave in early America.

As for another point...

This seems like an implicit acknowledgment that Republicans are homophobic. While I don't believe that to be the case with all Republicans (just most), it doesn't really support the idea that Republicans deserve more airtime.
    In fairness, I recall one or two instances where Olivia was compared to Sally Hemmingway in-universe. But I don't think we were supposed to agree with the characters who said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In fairness, I recall one or two instances where Olivia was compared to Sally Hemmingway in-universe. But I don't think we were supposed to agree with the characters who said that.

As for another point...

Olivia Pope as a black mistress was controversial among many black viewers. Many black men hated it that a black lady in a powerful position was the mistress to a white president. some black women hated it too, I remember Star Jones slamming the show because Olivia chose to still be the mistress to the white president over a successful single black man that not only has been chasing her for years but asked her to marry him.

This storyline is most likely to be written by a liberal and it was with Shonda Rhimes. Most black conservatives are socially conservative when it comes to keeping the black family structure, Scandal is not the representation for the black family.

How about a powered vigilante who won’t save people unless they have Hero Insurance? Sort of like Marcus Crassus’s original fire brigade who’d wait with their buckets until the property owner stumped up. That would fit with the idea that being safe from supervillains is something that people have the freedom to pay for or not.

The bad guys could also be pro life and immigration themed.

There could be a super hero who saves the Average Working Class American from having jobs they'd never do at pay levels they'd never accept taken away by Mexicans!

What a gripping fucking premise for complete fiction!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    There could be a super hero who saves the Average Working Class American from having jobs they'd never do at pay levels they'd never accept taken away by Mexicans!

What a gripping fucking premise for complete fiction!
    There was a comic strip where a blue collar worker and a robot are sitting in the break room at work and the blue collar worker says he's worried about his job being taken away from him my an illegal alien (ignoring that an illegal alien couldn't get the job) and the robot replies, Oh, don't worry. It won't be an illegal alien that takes your job.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Are Penn and Teller conservatives?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Are Penn and Teller conservatives?
    I'm pretty sure Penn is. Teller won't talk.

Mighty Member

I'm pretty sure Penn is. Teller won't talk.
    That's a good one!