Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Default Ideas that get cancelled

So when a new series is announced there is usually an overarching idea about what will happen to the main character. Just as an example, in Silver Surfer Black mini series the silver surfers entire appearance changes.

But sometimes series get cancelled before concluding, so what happens to those ideas?

I got the first 2 issues of the Nebula mini before it got cancelled and now I will never know what was supposed to happen to her. Hopefully it wasn't that important.
    Baby Thanos

Was it cancelled? There's a whole bunch of COVID-interrupted series that haven't yet resumed but will in the next few months.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Was it cancelled? There's a whole bunch of COVID-interrupted series that haven't yet resumed but will in the next few months.
    Can't even find information about it so I think it is dead
    Baby Thanos

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    But sometimes series get cancelled before concluding, so what happens to those ideas?
    Comic runs get canceled all of the time. Or sometimes the creative team moves on for one reason or another in the middle of a story arc. If you're lucky, the next person to handle that character finishes the story if it's really integral to the character. If you're not so lucky, or if the story was just terrible and contributed to the low sales, it's quickly forgotten and the next creative team receives marching orders to move in a new, fresh, dynamic direction asap. In those cases the story is ignored, forgotten, retconned or whatever to give the new creative team a fresh slate.

Water snake and Namorita in the last New Warriors run.

I was into "Hawkeye & Mockingbird" when it launched in the "Heroic Age". When was that-- 2010? Anyways, it went 6 issues and then was suddenly canceled.

There was a minor time-gap in the final issue, where Hawkeye & Mockingbird officially split (again). Yet it was never revealed, exactly, what was said. I'm assuming it was something based around the Phantom Rider. Was it ever explained, anywhere else?

We never did find out who FACADE was in Spider-Man....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Can't even find information about it so I think it is dead
    I just checked the Previews World listing for the Nebula mini and all it has are the first two issues you mentioned. It seems like a lot of series that had a March issue go into limbo by the pandemic is taking a long time to get back on track. The Doctor Doom solo was supposed to have issue #7 ship on March 4 and it will finally ship on September 23rd. And this is a comic that was Eisner nominated. I was getting the Avengers of the Wasteland mini also and that comic went to digital after the third issue missed it's March shipment too. Now they will have a TPB shipping on September 16th

In the meantime since the pandemic began, Marvel eliminated their their digital store and gave it over to Comixology. That site has also no listings beyond Nebula issue #2. Everything seems to have gone squirrely since March
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-03-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Option38 View Post
    I was into "Hawkeye & Mockingbird" when it launched in the "Heroic Age". When was that-- 2010? Anyways, it went 6 issues and then was suddenly canceled.

There was a minor time-gap in the final issue, where Hawkeye & Mockingbird officially split (again). Yet it was never revealed, exactly, what was said. I'm assuming it was something based around the Phantom Rider. Was it ever explained, anywhere else?
    We never saw the rest of that scene, but based on what Clint tells Steve and what Bobbi tells Fortune, the gist of it was that:

1) Bobbi was in a bad place emotionally after her abduction by the Skrulls, and everything Clint tried to do to help her get better, such as bringing her mother into the picture, was making things worse. Therefore, for the time being, it was better to take a step away from each other.

2) Bobbi was deep in the spy business and Clint wasn't suited for it, but because they were so close and doing everything together, Clint was getting more and more involved in espionage, leading him to do things that scared him, like destroying Crossfire's mechanical eye. He couldn't keep himself from getting involved with Bobbi professionally while they were still together as a couple, so he decided it needed to be a clean break.

As far as the Phantom Rider goes, it was addressed and Clint apologized for his behavior, but the underlying wounds might still be there (at least they were in issue #1 of the series).

The split was only supposed to be temporary (in the next series, Widowmaker, Clint refers to the state of their relationship as "on the outs right now" and they have a few close moments) but at some point, Marvel took McCann off the characters, and then Fraction/Aja's series had them signing divorce papers, and now it's 7 years later and things haven't turned back around yet. So...we'll see.

So when a new series is announced there is usually an overarching idea about what will happen to the main character. Just as an example, in Silver Surfer Black mini series the silver surfers entire appearance changes.

I got the first 2 issues of the Nebula mini before it got cancelled and now I will never know what was supposed to happen to her. Hopefully it wasn't that important.
    I remember Robinson having some sort of plot in his Invaders book with some sort of alien conspiracy that he was never able to finish because that book got cancelled. So he continued it in his Squadron Supreme book... which sadly also got cancelled. Some things just aren't meant to be I guess.

Will Riri Williams ever resolve her situation with her biological father?

Scream: Curse of Carnage. Just, literally every plot line they opened.

I am so sore about that one still.

Jim McCann and David Lopez's Hawkeye & Mockingbird books set up a bunch of cool ideas: a smaller spy agency outside of SHIELD, run by Mockingbird and consisting of other former agents abducted by the Skrulls; Dominic Fortune having used Wilma Calvin's old super soldier serum that was now deteriorating (and Bobbi trying to come up with a cure); the fact that Bobbi's mother didn't want her to join SHIELD because of some family secret regarding her long-gone father; and more. I wish they would pick up from where those stories left off.

Invincible Member

I remember reading that Warren Ellis was working with Marvel editors to develop a Horror Line back in the 90's but Marvel was bought by Toybiz and it was cancelled cuz they didn't want anything they couldn't spin off into toys.