Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default Escape From Hyper Lockdown: A Freeform RPG - Sign Up and Character Sheets

Well, it's quarantine and I feel the itch to do a little roleplaying.

I'm aiming to be a tad more structured than Ashes and Ascension but we're still keeping it pretty freeform because that requires minimal. I'll run this until it dies or until I get bored and don't want to do it any more. Hopefully it'll be a fun and creative outlet for these difficult times. I'm not going to play a character, I'm going to just GM.

Premise

On the far edge of space in a location known only by those who in the highest levels of power, the Hyper Lockdown holds the most dangerous superpowered criminals in the known continuum. Many kinds of people end up here - the rich, the poor, men, monsters, people who upset their government in the wrong way, freedom fighters, thieves and the usual wretched hive of scum and villainy. It's the trashbin of reality where the undesirables are sent.

You are an inmate of the Hyper Lockdown and your intention is to escape. You have abilities, you have wit, guile and charm and you have a burning desire to be free of this place.

Setting

-----------------------------------------------------------------

[The Continuum. (noun)]

[Definition: Colloquial term of the local strand of the known multiverse and associated timelines]

The subject of many an academic study and one of the largest an most important features of your observable universe, Continuum is theorised to be a "strand" of the total omniverse that is structurally weaker than other areas. As such, observable data suggests that, breaching the firmament of creation within the Continuum is considerably easier than in other areas of the omniverse. This means inter-universal travel, time travel and in-universe interdimensional travel are comparatively easier than in other areas of the multiverse.

This cosmological feature has had a significant impact of the development of the associated cultures and temporal structure of said universes. The Continuum is considered a super highway in terms of inter-universal or temporal travel, while the vastly larger superstructure of the omniverse is still held much more rigidly it is possible to reduce the "distance" "travelled" to get from one reality to another by taking a shortcut through the Continuum. It is unknown the total number of singular multiverses (with associated timelines and dimensions within) that connect to the Continuum directly but the total mapped thus far numbers more than a thousand.

While this has created much trade, culture exchange and enhanced the cultures effected by it, it has led to a massive increase in dimensional incursions, inter-universal wars, time crimes and trafficking of goods, services and sentients.

The scale of the Continuum is, obviously, far too large to effectively police as the nature of the local reality is technically infinite and therefore, so to are the avenues for inter-universal, interdimensional and inter-temporal travel. To counter this, local interstellar law enforcement groups across dozens of realities collaborated to create the Hyper Lockdown. (See associated article)

[The Hyper Lockdown (Location)

Definition: The most inescapable prison in the Continuum.]

Known colloquially as "reality's trashbin," "Biggest Lock," and "the hole," the Hyper Lockdown is considered the pinnacle of inter-reality collaboration. It is known in almost every major multiverse within the Continuum and features architectural, technological and design features from in excess of 20,000 species and cultures. (See associated list "Known contributers to the Hyper Lockdown,")

The true depths, composition and location of the Lockdown are closely guarded secrets. Prisoners are delivered into the system by automated machines who collect them from their home reality by appointment only. Upon release, prisoners have their memories of their time in the Lockdown augmented and faded through a process known as "dream-tainting" so the details will forever remain elusive but ultimately present.

What is known is that the Hyper Lockdown supercedes the prison system of all related governmental bodies as its capacities are apparently near infinite. Prisoners range from the pettiest of thieves all the way up to the destroyers of worlds. The identities of the staff and their backgrounds are mostly closely guarded. The public face of the Lockdown is Grand Warden Smash Dolphin from reality RUMB2310 but her presence within public life is very minimal.

Journalists from thousands of associated systems and realities have raised questions about the ethics of the Lockdown but have consistently been stonewalled. The one thing that is known is that no one has ever escaped.

A quote from Grand Warden Smash Dolphin:

"Lockdown ain't pretty, ain't nice. But, given how [CENSORED] our [CENSORED] reality is, we gotta strike a line. You heard of time crimes? Nope, me neither but they happen or have happened or will have never won't not have been maybe in a certain timeline on a weekend. That's the kind of thing we're up against. I can talk 'bout high profile cases because everyone knows they're in here; Kill-Lord the Killbot King, Planet Smashing Susan, the Emperor of Nightmares, the Slkrr't Vanashi, the Chained Heart of the Bleeding Sun and many more. We have a concentration of power and danger in here that could tear down entire star systems and it is stayin' in here because letting it out is far more dangerous. You journos with your sensefeeds and hypernet sphere influence want to talk about Johnny Nobody who stole bread to feed his family in the mines Valxor-17? That's a matter for your local galactic administration. The Lockdown answers to no one because we take everyone's [CENSORED] and keep it safe and contained. No more questions, I'm done here,"

Hundreds of individuals; ranging from celebrities and heroes, to supervillains and armies have attempted to breach the Lockdown. None have succeeded. Despite it's controversial status, the Lockdown seems like it will be a feature of the Continuum for millennia to come.

Character Sheet

Name:
    Planet/Dimension/Timeline/etc of Origin: Where in this crazy universe are you from?
    Physical Description: Can include image but must have a text write up as well.
    Crimes committed: What did you do to end up in this joint?
    Sentence: You do the crime, ya gotta do the time.
    Guilty or Not Guilty: Yeah, but did ya do it?
    Backstory:
    Superpower 1: You get one to start with. If we get far enough to "level", you can maybe have an upgrade or something.

Limitations/Stipulations
    1) Maximum destructive power is destroying a reasonably large building.
    2) Max physical stats is Class 50
    3) Versatility is encouraged. Jojos it up. It's freeform. Have fun.
    4) Non-human species can have racial traits that make them mildly posthuman in terms of abilities in addition to a special power but said the scale of said power will be weaker than an empowered human. Example: a Vulcan with telekinesis will always have weaker telekinesis than a human with telekinesis.

That'll do, let's see if something happens?

If I get players, I'll put a game thread up on Monday.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 04-20-2020 at 04:02 AM.

How involved will you be as GM?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    How involved will you be as GM?
    As much as I think is necessary? Freeform means I'm up for people having their own **** going on but I'll try and steer stuff where needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As much as I think is necessary? Freeform means I'm up for people having their own **** going on but I'll try and steer stuff where needed.
    Sometimes Freeform can = chaos. When everyone wants to do their own thing and it can sometimes get a little confusing.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Sometimes Freeform can = chaos. When everyone wants to do their own thing and it can sometimes get a little confusing.
    Therein lies a risk.

Ok so is this like a reboot of super villain jail just in space? If so I am interested. Planning on a guy who is no human and not so much super powers but Batman/macguyver approach. Power: Savant. As in holds a ton of skills combat and utility.

No, not Kenshiro or Karate Kid levels of martial arts, no, not PC Lex with time machine from wire and a orange soda can. Also, stuff for crafting takes time. Kinda going for a villainous Rocket Raccoon the size of Groot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Ok so is this like a reboot of super villain jail just in space? If so I am interested. Planning on a guy who is no human and not so much super powers but Batman/macguyver approach. Power: Savant. As in holds a ton of skills combat and utility.

No, not Kenshiro or Karate Kid levels of martial arts, no, not PC Lex with time machine from wire and a orange soda can. Also, stuff for crafting takes time. Kinda going for a villainous Rocket Raccoon the size of Groot.
    Sounds like a solid pitch. ^_^

To sweeten the lure and see if I can drag some of you players out of the woodwork, I'll give a breakdown of the structuring of the Hyper Lockdown so you can have an idea of what to expect and the kinds of challenges you might face. I will also drop this into the opening post for referencing.

[The Continuum. (noun)]

[Definition: Colloquial term of the local strand of the known multiverse and associated timelines]

The subject of many an academic study and one of the largest an most important features of your observable universe, Continuum is theorised to be a "strand" of the total omniverse that is structurally weaker than other areas. As such, observable data suggests that, breaching the firmament of creation within the Continuum is considerably easier than in other areas of the omniverse. This means inter-universal travel, time travel and in-universe interdimensional travel are comparatively easier than in other areas of the multiverse.

This cosmological feature has had a significant impact of the development of the associated cultures and temporal structure of said universes. The Continuum is considered a super highway in terms of inter-universal or temporal travel, while the vastly larger superstructure of the omniverse is still held much more rigidly it is possible to reduce the "distance" "travelled" to get from one reality to another by taking a shortcut through the Continuum. It is unknown the total number of singular multiverses (with associated timelines and dimensions within) that connect to the Continuum directly but the total mapped thus far numbers more than a thousand.

While this has created much trade, culture exchange and enhanced the cultures effected by it, it has led to a massive increase in dimensional incursions, inter-universal wars, time crimes and trafficking of goods, services and sentients.

The scale of the Continuum is, obviously, far too large to effectively police as the nature of the local reality is technically infinite and therefore, so to are the avenues for inter-universal, interdimensional and inter-temporal travel. To counter this, local interstellar law enforcement groups across dozens of realities collaborated to create the Hyper Lockdown. (See associated article)

Known colloquially as "reality's trashbin," "Biggest Lock," and "the hole," the Hyper Lockdown is considered the pinnacle of inter-reality collaboration. It is known in almost every major multiverse within the Continuum and features architectural, technological and design features from in excess of 20,000 species and cultures. (See associated list "Known contributers to the Hyper Lockdown,")

The true depths, composition and location of the Lockdown are closely guarded secrets. Prisoners are delivered into the system by automated machines who collect them from their home reality by appointment only. Upon release, prisoners have their memories of their time in the Lockdown augmented and faded through a process known as "dream-tainting" so the details will forever remain elusive but ultimately present.

What is known is that the Hyper Lockdown supercedes the prison system of all related governmental bodies as its capacities are apparently near infinite. Prisoners range from the pettiest of thieves all the way up to the destroyers of worlds. The identities of the staff and their backgrounds are mostly closely guarded. The public face of the Lockdown is Grand Warden Smash Dolphin from reality RUMB2310 but her presence within public life is very minimal.

Journalists from thousands of associated systems and realities have raised questions about the ethics of the Lockdown but have consistently been stonewalled. The one thing that is known is that no one has ever escaped.

"Lockdown ain't pretty, ain't nice. But, given how [CENSORED] our [CENSORED] reality is, we gotta strike a line. You heard of time crimes? Nope, me neither but they happen or have happened or will have never won't not have been maybe in a certain timeline on a weekend. That's the kind of thing we're up against. I can talk 'bout high profile cases because everyone knows they're in here; Kill-Lord the Killbot King, Planet Smashing Susan, the Emperor of Nightmares, the Slkrr't Vanashi, the Chained Heart of the Bleeding Sun and many more. We have a concentration of power and danger in here that could tear down entire star systems and it is stayin' in here because letting it out is far more dangerous. You journos with your sensefeeds and hypernet sphere influence want to talk about Johnny Nobody who stole bread to feed his family in the mines Valxor-17? That's a matter for your local galactic administration. The Lockdown answers to no one because we take everyone's [CENSORED] and keep it safe and contained. No more questions, I'm done here,"

Hundreds of individuals; ranging from celebrities and heroes, to supervillains and armies have attempted to breach the Lockdown. None have succeeded. Despite it's controversial status, the Lockdown seems like it will be a feature of the Continuum for millennia to come.

Well, it's quarantine and I feel the itch to do a little roleplaying.

I'm aiming to be a tad more structured than Ashes and Ascension but we're still keeping it pretty freeform because that requires minimal. I'll run this until it dies or until I get bored and don't want to do it any more. Hopefully it'll be a fun and creative outlet for these difficult times. I'm not going to play a character, I'm going to just GM.

Premise

On the far edge of space in a location known only by those who in the highest levels of power, the Hyper Lockdown holds the most dangerous superpowered criminals in the known continuum. Many kinds of people end up here - the rich, the poor, men, monsters, people who upset their government in the wrong way, freedom fighters, thieves and the usual wretched hive of scum and villainy. It's the trashbin of reality where the undesirables are sent.

You are an inmate of the Hyper Lockdown and your intention is to escape. You have abilities, you have wit, guile and charm and you have a burning desire to be free of this place.

Setting

[The Continuum. (noun)]

Character Sheet

Name:
    Planet/Dimension/Timeline/etc of Origin: Where in this crazy universe are you from?
    Physical Description: Can include image but must have a text write up as well.
    Crimes committed: What did you do to end up in this joint?
    Sentence: You do the crime, ya gotta do the time.
    Guilty or Not Guilty: Yeah, but did ya do it?
    Backstory:
    Superpower 1: You get one to start with. If we get far enough to "level", you can maybe have an upgrade or something.

Limitations/Stipulations
    1) Maximum destructive power is destroying a reasonably large building.
    2) Max physical stats is Class 50
    3) Versatility is encouraged. Jojos it up. It's freeform. Have fun.
    4) Non-human species can have racial traits that make them mildly posthuman in terms of abilities in addition to a special power but said the scale of said power will be weaker than an empowered human. Example: a Vulcan with telekinesis will always have weaker telekinesis than a human with telekinesis.

That'll do, let's see if something happens?

If I get players, I'll put a game thread up on Monday.
    Name: Ace Vae Lagur
    Species: Dimir.
    Origin: Braxias 12. A blue dwarf star. From there hails from a Earth like world called Mengle.
    Appearance: As a Dimir he is pretty much a “giant” mouse humanoid. 8’4. White fur with brown spots, the tail, green eyes, and really jacked while being that big. His typical clothing was black mesh armor, no scars, or ware on him.
    Crimes Committed: Space piracy. Gun running, illegal weapon modifications, and responsible for the Genocide of the Skirit. ( Genetic cousins of the Dimir. Just ugly, smaller and more of a pest. They were mice people with additional bug features.)
    Sentence: Double life sentence ( until death, then keep the body for another life long sentence then cremate.)
    Guilty?: Hell yes he is.
    Backstory: Ace is a psychopathic Dimir made that way due to being the third oldest of 12 that did not get enough attention being brought up. So he sought approval in doing awful things to the point he figured he just liked to be bad. Sought to be the baddest of the bad. Netted him double life sentence in this joint.
    Superpower: Super savant. Ace is very smart, to the point if given right tools and context of thinking with them, can hurt rigg many horrible things. Just need the item and time, there you go. Also seems to hold in skills and knowledge very well too. Knows martial arts, weapon art skills, piloting, detective work, sciences and engineering as examples.

I hope this passes, yeah his typical body stats are just a really jacked big guy.

And I “love” free form rpgs. Being able to direct my damn actions without a rail road, if I die, I die. But had freedom to chose what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Name: Ace Vae Lagur
    Species: Dimir.
    Origin: Braxias 12. A blue dwarf star. From there hails from a Earth like world called Mengle.
    Appearance: As a Dimir he is pretty much a “giant” mouse humanoid. 8’4. White fur with brown spots, the tail, green eyes, and really jacked while being that big. His typical clothing was black mesh armor, no scars, or ware on him.
    Crimes Committed: Space piracy. Gun running, illegal weapon modifications, and responsible for the Genocide of the Skirit. ( Genetic cousins of the Dimir. Just ugly, smaller and more of a pest. They were mice people with additional bug features.)
    Sentence: Double life sentence ( until death, then keep the body for another life long sentence then cremate.)
    Guilty?: Hell yes he is.
    Backstory: Ace is a psychopathic Dimir made that way due to being the third oldest of 12 that did not get enough attention being brought up. So he sought approval in doing awful things to the point he figured he just liked to be bad. Sought to be the baddest of the bad. Netted him double life sentence in this joint.
    Superpower: Super savant. Ace is very smart, to the point if given right tools and context of thinking with them, can hurt rigg many horrible things. Just need the item and time, there you go. Also seems to hold in skills and knowledge very well too. Knows martial arts, weapon art skills, piloting, detective work, sciences and engineering as examples.

I hope this passes, yeah his typical body stats are just a really jacked big guy.

And I “love” free form rpgs. Being able to direct my damn actions without a rail road, if I die, I die. But had freedom to chose what to do.
    That looks fine to me.

I can think of plenty of ways to mess with him.

If we get other players but that remains to be seen.

Well that’s what I signed on for, no complaints here.

Incredible Member

Based on an old OC of mine:

Character Sheet

Name: Jeremy Sutton aka "Bloodskull"

Species: Former human; revenant

Planet/Dimension/Timeline/etc of Origin: Planet Ultima

Physical Description: Basically, imagine R from Warm Bodies (the movie, not the book) meets Elric of Melnibone. Before he was stripped and forced into his prison uniform, he wore crimson armor with an obvious "death"/skeleton motif, including the blood-red skull-shaped helmet from which he got his "supervillain" name.

Crimes committed: Sedition, insurgency, attempted overthrow of the government, kidnapping

Sentence: Life sentence; will be cremated if still "alive" at 100

Guilty or Not Guilty: All except the kidnapping, not that it wasn't deserved

Backstory: Jeremy was the guinea pig of an experiment meant to turn him into an invincible super-soldier. It turned him into an undead revenant, which according to the powers-that-be on Ultima was "close enough". Unfortunately for the corrupt government, Jeremy retained his intelligence and memories, although he's somewhat more prone to violence (can you blame him?). Jeremy's attempts to avenge what had done to him (among other injustices such as enslaving the local troll population) led to him gaining quite a bit of political power. He also wound up "kidnapping" young Princess Irona (more like an unintended rescue) when she discovered the truth about the "heroic" super-soldiers. Finally, the government sent cosmic police to capture him.

Superpower 1: Is "undead" too powerful, or vague, or anything?

Hmm I am not the DM but in my experience DM/GM and being a PC Undead is a wide term. Could mean he is a zombie basically ( no need to eat, breath, drink, only brain destruction stops him. Or the kind of zombie that all body must be burned/destroyed or the limbs will act on their own.)

Because aside zombies ( Guessing Rrd Skull) a true revenant is a ghost who wills a body of hate into existence for a special task or role that is usually vengeance themed.

Not counting the others like Wighrs, Durganr, Vampires, Liches, and etc.

As noted earlier, not wholly sure this is going to run due to lack of players.

But yeah, what did you have in mind for "undead" as a superpower?

Incredible Member

As noted earlier, not wholly sure this is going to run due to lack of players.

But yeah, what did you have in mind for "undead" as a superpower?
    Basically can only be killed by brain destruction. All other wounds that would otherwise be mortal heal quick (unless that counts as a separate superpower).