Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Raven (Rachel Roth) Appreciation 2020

An appreciation thread for Raven, who first appeared in DC Comics Presents #26 (October, 1980).

1980:

1982:

1983:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-11-2020 at 12:55 AM.

1988:

1999:

2004:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-11-2020 at 12:59 AM.

2010:

2017:

2018:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 06-11-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Curiosity - how many people think of Rachel as her real name? I definitely do not, but then I have read very little of her (or Titans) that was published since that invention (same for Kon-El). I really tend think old school, and be stuck in the past.

Also, I've seen lists before of when each of Superman's powers emerged (publishing timeline, I mean), and I wondered if any enterprising fan had created a similar list for Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Curiosity - how many people think of Rachel as her real name? I definitely do not, but then I have read very little of her (or Titans) that was published since that invention (same for Kon-El). I really tend think old school, and be stuck in the past.

Also, I've seen lists before of when each of Superman's powers emerged (publishing timeline, I mean), and I wondered if any enterprising fan had created a similar list for Raven.

Raven is her name and who she is - Rachel Roth is her disguise imo.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, count me in on that; I'm a casual fan who has always been confused by what her powers were, and what her limits are. And what they are at the moment.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, count me in on that; I'm a casual fan who has always been confused by what her powers were, and what her limits are. And what they are at the moment.
    Her initial powers were using her soul to attack or heal people. She could also teleport. She was also an empath which is knowing how people feel and being able to influence their moods.

Now it seems like DC just made all her abilities magic and called it a day. It seems they also added some form of telepathy but it's very vague. She's still a empath whenever writers utilize that specific ability.

Her limits were not getting too emotional or having to control her emotions. I don't think she suffers from this anymore though.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 04-19-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I just call her Raven.I assume Rachel is used for non Titans business.

Her limits were not getting too emotional or having to control her emotions. I don't think she suffers from this anymore though.
    That one's kinda odd, too, because that aspect really wasn't there in her earliest appearances and only came in a little later.

Now it seems like DC just made all her abilities magic and called it a day.
    I looked up the preboot and Post-COIE Ravens in the wiki and the difference in the list of powers is pretty shocking. I'm not really keen on adding tons of powers myself, but a lot of people loved their characters powered up.

I'm used to her soul self, her empathy (including healing), her ability to project emotions on others and her ability to teleport. Not sure when flight and telekinesis came in. I guess the rest came with the reboot?

BANNED

DC is utter trash with magic using characters, from Dr. Fate, to Morgaine Le Fay, to Zatanna, to Felix Faust, to Raven, and so on. The company just gives them all willy nilly powers. They can essentially do anything. It's large magnitudes of lazy, and there's no thought behind it. No magic systems. No nothin'. This is largely why "magic" books at DC and Marvel have often been such tough sells over the years.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 04-19-2020 at 03:08 PM.

All-New Member

I don't like her Rebirth design, especially her red claws. I miss her previous design..

Quote Originally Posted by bluelolly View Post
    I don't like her Rebirth design, especially her red claws. I miss her previous design..
    I think her original design was pretty classic and good at always looking good instead of getting dated. Also good at indicating physical fighting wasn't her bailiwick (which it absolutely wasn't, at the time).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 05-02-2020 at 06:28 PM.

I haven't really followed Raven since the 2011 reboot. How is her personality? it seems her powers have changed, but has her personality/character been drastically altered?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

All-New Member

She was impressive in JLD:apokolips war

Rachel Roth is just her civilian disguise. It’s what she uses when/if she attends high school and other social settings. Raven is her birth name.