• 30-39

12 23.08%
  • 40-49

10 19.23%
  • 50+

10 19.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Default Poll: What age group do you belong?

And the reason you picked up your first Superman comic?

I entered Superman comics with Superman birthright and continued following regularly with Superman for tomorrow.

Astonishing Member

Late 20's. It was either Superman for All Seasons or one of the Big Silver-Age Omnibuses that were in the comics section of Borders. Initially I only started reading Superman because the general consensus was that Superman could beat Goku and I wanted to view the character in a context outside of single page scans.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

My first buy was a graphic novel, Superman: Godfall by Micheal Turner and a bunch of other creators.

I was a fan of Aspen and Micheal Turner, his style is relentlessly sexy, strong, and unique. The futuristic look of Superman on the cover instantly grabbed my attention. The story was of Kandor, not Krypton, and it was a self-contained story. That's what drew me in, not so much Superman at the time. Everyone knows Superman. I never felt the need to buy a comic until that hit shelves. I'm always more intrigued to explore the alien side of the character. I could enjoy a Krypton book even if Supes wasn't in it.

I didn't buy another Superman comic until the New52 made him accessible to a Marvel fan like me. I've been buying Superman and Action ever since. Even picking up other titles here and there. I finally get why people love this guy and his supporting cast. I absolutely and surprisingly enjoyed the recent family dynamic with Clark, Lois, and Jon after the Rebirth arc.

Too bad Bendis got his hands on the kid and aged him up. Effed up a lot of great storytelling potential just so the kid could become a Leaguer and an OP character of the future.

I'm even getting ready to drop the two Superman books. It's just not for me anymore. Hopefully, someone in the future can bring me back around to buy a graphic novel.

Anyway, I'm 39 and I've been a Superman fan all my life due to TV and movies. I've been actively buying Superman comics for about 9 years now.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

32. In 1994, my mom was working in an antique shop and found some comics in a dresser drawer, from the 1987 Captain Atom and Superman issues #24-28. Which were confusing because they dropped into an odd place in the series and didn't include the complementary issues of Adventures. I knew just enough about Superman to be surprised to see the oxygen tank on the one cover, too, but it was exciting to finally see him as an action adventure character compared to live action. I bought some random ZH stuff (namely Superman #93) as actual first purchases.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

30-39, and my mother bought me the Death of Superman trade. She was roped into the whole speculator thing about it because of the media attention it had brought, thought it'd be cool for me to have. For me it began the hobby. I was a Superman fan well before that, but before then it was because of the movies.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    And the reason you picked up your first Superman comic?
    We used to trade comic books in my day. Just I give you mine and you give me yours. Not really pick anything in particular. I traded another kid my Porky Pig comic book for his comic book and his was a Superman comic book.
    Was a good way to read more comic books without having to buy more comic books. For us a comic book was a comic book, didn't matter what it was about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    32. In 1994, my mom was working in an antique shop and found some comics in a dresser drawer, from the 1987 Captain Atom and Superman issues #24-28. Which were confusing because they dropped into an odd place in the series and didn't include the complementary issues of Adventures. I knew just enough about Superman to be surprised to see the oxygen tank on the one cover, too, but it was exciting to finally see him as an action adventure character compared to live action. I bought some random ZH stuff (namely Superman #93) as actual first purchases.
    The origin of your first Superman comic sound very cool. this happenstance that ends up having a real impact.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Hey thanks. I always find those from other people interesting, too. The death and return was probably the biggest jump in for a lot of people in my bracket. Good on them, because I'd have felt super ripped off getting in for the death only to find it done away with lol.

My original experience is also what got me to become a dedicated fan, through finding out that the same guy who wrote Atom was a Superman writer before that. Action Comics #421 and #456 featuring a pastiche of my other favorite, Popeye, and I never looked back.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

30-39 now, but in my late 20s when I got into comic book Superman for the first time with Rebirth.

23, I got into Dc because I was a kid who loved Batman. Actually to be more accurate I think my first comic was an old Metal Man comic I got from a science teacher once. But anyway loved me some Batman. Got into Superman through team ups with Batman and Justice League stuff, then all things dc. Somewhere along the way, I started to lean towards the op alien over the rich furry. And here I am

I'm twenty six, and I honestly don't think there was one specific thing that got me into Superman. In my earliest memories of DC characters, I already knew who they were!

When I was maybe three or four, I got a videotape of three Fleischer cartoons from my grandpa.

When I was probably around that same age, my Dad drew me a guidebook to super-heroes that had Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, Flash, and others in it. I can't pretend he got all their costumes right, or that his art was great, but I'm very fond of that memory. I hope I still have that book around somewhere.

When I was seven or so, I read Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen # 140, and fell in love with it.

When I was in the eleven to fifteen range, I read The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen for the first time, read several official histories of Superman, and started buying Superman comics from bookstores. It was during this time that I realized that Superman was pretty much my favorite thing. Thing is, I don't know what the first book I got was. It was more important that there were a lot of them, I think.

The most important single Superman book I got during this time was certainly not the first. It was Superman the Dailies: 1939-1942, a book collecting daily newspaper strips from the golden age.

But this book didn't so much get me into Superman as shape how I thought about him. This must have been during the tail end of that, in the fifteen to sixteen year old range.

In fall of 2011, I started buying monthly comics off the rack for the first time for the New 52, starting with OMAC # 1. What? The shop was out of Action Comics!

But I went back later that week and they had one more copy.

actioncomics_v2_1_5b1c3b9d9e12b8.95435432.jpg

So that's how I started buying monthlies.

And I don't know, I wish I could say I never stopped buying them, but the New 52 was "my" time, and it had highs and lows. I was also a college kid on a budget. There were times during the New 52 when I wasn't buying any Superman books, and times when I bought tons. But that said, New 52 Superman was kinda "my" Superman, I loved and still love him. And then it was over, and that hit me pretty hard.

In 2016, I learned that New 52 Superman was going to die and be replaced with the Convergence one, on the same day I saw Batman v Superman. It was like Superman died twice in one day.

I'm still a huge fan, obviously, and I'll buy Superman books occasionally, but I don't buy every month anymore unless something specific comes along and gets my attention like Up in the Sky, Superman Smashes the Klan, or Jimmy Olsen, and obviously with the quarantine it's been several weeks since I've been to the comic shop. Ugh. :P
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Middle to late twenties. I don't think i have anything specific. Maybe phantom and he-man got me into superman. I loved the he-man reboot and defenders of the earth reruns. That's not entirely true, either. I liked many episodes of tas. Especially, for the man who has everything.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-20-2020 at 02:07 AM.

Fantastic Member

50+, been reading superman since I was a kid, back in the 60's.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I'm 45 years old. I turn 46 this coming October.

My very first Superman comic was #341, cover dated November 1979. Hardly a groundbreaking issue to kick things off but there we go. It was the first Christopher Reeve movie that ignited my passion for both Superman and DC in general. It was the first movie I went to the pictures for, aged 4. Of course, a lot of the film went over my head but I loved it regardless.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!