20 38.46%
  • 30-39

12 23.08%
  • 40-49

10 19.23%
  • 50+

10 19.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Early 20's. The first Superman book I remember reading was the first trade of the Superman/Batman series by Jeph Loeb when I was 10 or 11. The reason I started reading it was it was Batman and Superman together and my pre-teen self thought that was cool. However, I already knew of the character of Superman before this from the Superman Returns movie and the Krypto the Superdog cartoon.
    Last edited by KC; 04-20-2020 at 08:01 AM.

I’m in the middle of that 20-29, I started reading Superman because I watched the Legion of Superheroes cartoon show and Justice League/Unlimited as a kid and then I started reading, though I think I stuck to Conner Kent more then Superman at first. That was probably because I got him mixed up with the one I saw in the Legion cartoon (I was a kid I didn’t understand the intricacies of clones in comics at that point, I just saw Superboy). Unfortunately I don’t remember what specific story I started in on for Superman, I just read his ongoing.
    Last edited by sifighter; 04-20-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

51 here.
    Why'd i pick up my first Superman comic? Because i loved Superman, and comics!

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

20s

I'm super, super basic. Watched Smallville when I was super young, grew out of it early, gained an appreciation for Superman TAS, and thought JLU was cool if I'd sit down to watch. Then I read a Wikipedia article on the plot to All Star Superman, thought it sounded cool, picked it up, and here I am.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-20-2020 at 08:44 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

i'm 35 and because i wanted to read Superman. I followed both action comics, and superman titles for a while, but they were so shitty... OMG, what dissapointment they were, a guy can only take so much even if he likes Superman.

Minis are good though, or the ones i picked up... Superman shines in minis as far as i can see from the 16 years experiance.

30-39.

Was a fan of Superman since before I can remember, but it was the Death and the speculator hype that made me want to buy the comic. It wasn't until Reign was halfway through that I bought my first issue (there were still spinner racks in my area at the time, and all of them sold out their Superman stuff quick). Fortunately I had a cousin who was getting most of the issues and he let me read his.

A LCS opened up soon thereafter, around the time of Zero Hour, and I don't think I missed a single issue again until, like, 1999. But damn have I skipped plenty since.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

20-29.

I enjoyed the Timmverse shows. Batman, Superman and Justice League. Justice League was my favorite show at one point of time. So, i remember thinking of trying their comics. I remember my first two Superman comics. Man of Steel #1 by Byrne and Kingdom Come #4 which is a Justice League story. I enjoyed Man of Steel, but i didn't like Kingdom Come much except for the art. I remember being disappointed to see Wonder Woman fighting Batman for a bit and choosing Superman. I was a big fan of that show.

i read bits and parts here and there but i wasn't really reading comics. I remember trying New 52. Nowadays, this run is among my favorites but back then coming from the Timmverse shows, i found it very odd to see Superman running in jeans and dangling people over rooftops. Superman was this calm figure in my mind and here he was much younger and more aggressive. I dropped it after a couple of issues. Superman #1 was more disappointing. I remember being disappointed to see Lois going to some other guy leaving Superman alone. Dropped that one after first issue.

I remember being excited by Superman Returns years prior only to sleep in between the movie. I was very excited for Man of Steel, but apart from the exciting action and flying sequences i didn't find anything very interesting. Nowadays i like the Donner films especially the first one, but when i was younger i couldn't get past the special effects. I had given hopes of liking Superman again, but due to my soft spot for the Timmverse shows, and love for Nolan Trilogy i kept checking news from time to time.

Finally, after hearing about Rebirth i tried the books again. I started reading comics regularly from this time. And i haven't looked back. For the first time since the animated show, Superman clicked with me. I loved the family aspect. By good luck i found this forum and got directions to other runs and stories. So, even though the main line of books had ebbs and flows i have enjoyed Superman stories all this while.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-20-2020 at 10:38 PM.

50 here, picked up my first issue of Superman off the spinner rack in first grade in the spring of '75...

but I was already a fan of Superman from reruns of George Reeves Adventures of Superman that I watched with my dad on Sunday mornings, and watching Superfriends on Saturday mornings; plus I already had Viewmaster reels of Superman and a Superman Mego that I had gotten the previous Christmas.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 04-21-2020 at 06:30 AM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

What a good first issue. Best possible introduction to Krypto.

And it always made me laugh how casually the cover has him Super Slipping.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

My earliest memories of Superman are from the Fleischer cartoons taped on VHS and Superman IV. My first comic though is tricky. I'm from Europe and back then we got the comics translated and formatted into small little books. So basically each month our Superman title had 3 to 4 different stories. So imagine small mini-trades if you will. They did this to basically publish most of the American titles all in one or two monthly comic. Also there was 3-4 years gap between what was coming out in America and what we got. So Death and Reign happened in '93 right? I only got it published here around 96 or so.

As for the comic itself I remember, vaguely, 3 distinct stories, but the one I remember the most is one where the Toyman uses some giant robot Teddy Bears to kidnap a little girl from a rich family. The cover was Superman stopping a train from falling off a destroyed bridge. He looks relieved in it. Wiping the "sweat" of his forehead and with that look you make when you use you reflexes to stop a cup of glass from falling on the floor or something like that

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Should have been Action #657, right?

Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Should have been Action #657, right?

OMG yes!! That's it! Great!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Just hit thirty and I didn't really appreciate Superman until later in life. I started buying him and Green Arrow when I branched out from Batman but I really didn't fall in love with the character until I quit comics with the new 52.

During that time I spent a lot of time thinking about characters and one day it struck me just how inspiring the character was by virtue of him just trying to be better every day and how hard that is for anyone. I started looking for older material and Clark was leaping to the top of my favorites in no small order.

Then Lois and Clark/Rebirth happened and interested my girlfriend. I was supportive, introduced her to stuff I liked and so on. She started buying monthly books but I didn't want to get back into that expensive hobby that was so hard to love given the editorial crap fans have to put up with. Then I let myself back in with trades and eventually I became a Wednesday Warrior again. Superman Rebirth was a big part of it because it really felt like growth. Clark was coming together as a father figure when before he was lacking. Lois needed to go back to the DP asap, though. She was most underserved by that status quo, though I still enjoyed her.

But for a moment, it seemed like DC cared about Superman again and that played a big part in bringing me back in.

I regretfully have to say I have never once bought a Superman comic. Apart from a few small comics here and there I never actually read comic books when i was younger. I mostly read novels and in the early 2010s, fanfics, while also reading a bit of manga.

When I started my studies in animation back in 2013, after the second year I was forced to repeat due to certain circumstances. In 2015 at the age of 23, in my free time I came across screwattacks goku vs superman deathbattle which introduced me to vs debating. After doing research into Superman to defend him against dragonball fanboys downplaying him, I decided to fully experince superman and dc and marvel as opposed to just watching animated and live action films and series.

One of the first I read online was Kingdom come Superman, followed by the 2010s adventures of Superman comic series and since then ive branched out to reading a wide variety of comic books. All online unfortunately as there are few comic book stores here in Cape Town, plus I don't have the money to buy them aswell as cater to my other hobbies and i have yet to become employed, yet.
    Last edited by Dralokonda; 04-24-2020 at 05:37 AM.