Default Edward Elric vs Overhaul

I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been written yet. This is Edward before his original arm was restored vs Overhaul without Nemoto fusion. The battle will take place in at an abandoned construction site.

Bonus Scenario: Edward (with his right arm restored) vs Overhaul/Nemoto fusion
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Their ranges and abilities are similar, and while I think that Ed has a general speed advantage, and would win a HTH duel pretty easily, it's not enough to make a big difference with the default starting distance.

I think that Overhaul might have the edge since he destroys things before reassembling them, and that might throw Ed off enough to lose him the fight. Not a gurantee though since he is clever and quick witted, but they're using the same ammunition so to speak and Overhaul's method seems like it would mess with Ed's method more than the other way around to me.

YMMV

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Their ranges and abilities are similar, and while I think that Ed has a general speed advantage, and would win a HTH duel pretty easily, it's not enough to make a big difference with the default starting distance.

I think that Overhaul might have the edge since he destroys things before reassembling them, and that might throw Ed off enough to lose him the fight. Not a gurantee though since he is clever and quick witted, but they're using the same ammunition so to speak and Overhaul's method seems like it would mess with Ed's method more than the other way around to me.

YMMV
    As per how the manga explained it, alchemy does the same thing; destroying and reassembling matter. That's basically how Scar was killing people; he'd grab them and only do the 'destruction' part of the equation, so I'm not seeing how Ed'd be thrown off by it.

Also Ed was able to make stuff like fully functional cannons and mortars, something I don't recall Overhaul doing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    As per how the manga explained it, alchemy does the same thing; destroying and reassembling matter. That's basically how Scar was killing people; he'd grab them and only do the 'destruction' part of the equation, so I'm not seeing how Ed'd be thrown off by it.

Also Ed was able to make stuff like fully functional cannons and mortars, something I don't recall Overhaul doing.
    Man, it's been so long since I read or watched the series. I'd completely forgotten that's how it worked.

Then I guess they keep destroying the arena around each other and trying take command of the reassembling to fit their needs. Might be anybody's fight at that point

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Wasn't Overhaul able to use his powers to heal himself as long as his hands were still intact? He was also about to take hits from a pissed off Deku without turning into mist, but considering that his powers never seen to do as much damage to people that aren't Deku himself, or protect him from as much damage as they should even when his opponents ostensibly have no superhuman stats themselves (beyond generic anime peak human), I'm not sure how much that should be taken into consideration.

Like, Lemillion basically one punched Deku even though his only power should be intangibility and his fists should therefore be like a gentle rain to someone in Deku's weight class, barring intangibility shenanigans that didn't seem to be in play

If Edward is faster, and can transmute with a clap... I feel like it's honestly his fight to lose?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Wasn't Overhaul able to use his powers to heal himself as long as his hands were still intact? He was also about to take hits from a pissed off Deku without turning into mist, but considering that his powers never seen to do as much damage to people that aren't Deku himself, or protect him from as much damage as they should even when his opponents ostensibly have no superhuman stats themselves (beyond generic anime peak human), I'm not sure how much that should be taken into consideration.

Like, Lemillion basically one punched Deku even though his only power should be intangibility and his fists should therefore be like a gentle rain to someone in Deku's weight class, barring intangibility shenanigans that didn't seem to be in play
    True. Of course, Izuku's being seriously gimped by the story to keep everyone else viable and Bakugou a realistic rival. Because we've seen what a severely weakened All Might can do, and Izuku's supposed to be superior considering the power stocking nature of One For All. If Izuku was able to use it even half as well as All Might, then the manga would pretty much need to go the DBZ route of having the big villain too powerful for anyone but the MC to beat.

And that entire fight was basically the manga/anime shilling Mirio. Reason why Bakugou and Todoroki in it. Have to keep them looking strong while everyone else jobs to the new babyface.
    Last edited by The Dog; 04-19-2020 at 09:58 PM.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

While the series does tend to give enhanced durability to people who shouldn't have it (a lot of series does this to be honest), there's a bit of leeway with Overhaul surviving Deku's 100% barrage. He'd just fused with one of his two subordinates that did have superhuman durability, and see as how he was able to use Nemoto's quirk after fusing with him, it makes sense that his giant body would be hardier than most other people, and it still rocked him super hard.
    How much Deku's durability is affected by One For All is really nebulous, more so than how strong he actually becomes, but when Mirio decked him he wasn't actually using it and had the durability of a 15 year old in good shape. And Mirio is built like a brick house, so I don't see any problem with him taking one Deku with one punch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    If Edward is faster, and can transmute with a clap... I feel like it's honestly his fight to lose?
    Again, not sure if Ed is faster or not, and if it's enough to make a difference. And Overhaul doesn't even need to clap his hands. He just needs to touch things, and there's certainly enough time for him to touch the ground.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

I was going to echo Dark Soul's point about Deku's durability being both variable and something he has to consciously activate. Compared to other bricks in his weight class, he's more vulnerable to a blitz.

I'd also say that Overhaul's ability to heal himself is a massive advantage here. At 100 feet, Ed has to do with a ranged attack to make his small speed advantage meaningful so he really has to instant kill Overhaul otherwise he'll just reconstruct himself.

I'd say, it's a close match but I'm leaning Overhaul myself. He's really hard to keep down.