Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Cool John Byrne's fanfic Giant-Size Fantastic Four #1

A few years ago famed FF historian Sean Kleefeld, who hosted ffplaza.com, wrote an article about how John Byrne sketched an FF fanfic in the 1970's. Byrne revealed this in David Anthony Kraft's Comics Interview #25. It was a series of pencils that was never completed; ie. it wasn't inked, colored, and scripted. Fast forward a few decades later (2004 to be precise) and a group of fans at Byrne's own forum Byrne Robotics announced a challenge to complete the work, and a team rose to the challenge. January 2005, the finished work was revealed and given the working title Giant-Size Fantastic Four #1. Sean goes on into other details about the project, but I'll post here the cover for that, as well as the actual covers that Byrne drew when he finally wrote the FF for Marvel that seem to be inspired by that, as well as a panel each from the fanfic and a canon FF issue again for comparison.

Sean Kleefeld's article
    Byrne Robotics Art Challenge Reveal

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I really miss Sean's FFPlaza.com site. He had some wonderful stuff there. He does post on this blog these days but I remember him having an ever expanding section showing all the Fantastic Four #1 cover variants. He does have a blog these days where he sometimes retrieves things he had from his old site. He used to write columns for MTV too.

Here's a link to his site Kleefeld on Comics

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

These are awesome. Thanks for posting.

Frankie Raye is easily one of my most favorite Byrne characters. I'm really hoping that at some point a writer restores Nova to herald status so that The Last Galactus Story holds true for 616. Although not published, the story reportedly ends with Nova becoming the next Cosmos in the succession, replacing Eternity.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I really miss Sean's FFPlaza.com site. He had some wonderful stuff there.
    I've been using the web archive's Wayback Machine to check on it; and thanks to this just read article by Brian Cronin last year, we now have an incentive!

Comic Book Legends Revealed! How A Joke Ultimately Led to Alicia Masters Becoming a Skrull

According to Brian:
    Oddly enough, Pierre told me this through a (now-dead) link to an interview that DeFalco gave to the website, Fantastic Four Headquarters, but the site appears to be down now.
    Pierre is the reader who suggested the topic. My guess is that "Fantastic Four Headquarters" is in fact ffplaza.com.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES