Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Whether or not she is stronger than him, the fact remains there is nothing to suggest either by her previous feats, or presentation to suggest she can no sell his attacks. There shouldn't have been any need for her to even dodge his physical attacks whatsoever while she should have been more than capable of ripping his hand clear off if she was that strong. And yes, her aura is always there, but if you look near the end, right at his fingers before he takes the power stone, there is light coming through the gauntlet itself. Unless you're going to argue that Thanos' fingers were in the process of being ripped off, thus illustrating why light would be coming through the finger portion of his gauntlets, the only thing left is to believe she is closer to her comic-book counterpart(which wouldn't be surprising as she seems to be literally the only MCU character that is comparable to her comic book counterpart in terms of stats).

Seriously, what other instance in her career so far, that even remotely suggests she can ignore hits from someone who can overpower the Hulk? If you want to say it's an smvfl moment, or just outright inconsistency, then okay. But don't tell me there isn't a clear build up in power because again, she ignored his headbutts. He wouldn't have even gotten any advantage over her whatsoever otherwise if she was that strong by default. It would go down like the fight between Cavil Superman and Batfleck would have gone down if Batfleck didn't have any kryptonite.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

This may be the only thing we've got right now and it's inconclusive. She stops it but not it's tracks though she throws it back by sheer strength before it's own rockets carry it further. I'd also argue that she directly took some of those explosions though it's arguable.

Is it better than the space whale feat? Debatable. Probably as much or more mass than the space whale and with far more speed.
    Power with Girl is better.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Whether or not she is stronger than him, the fact remains there is nothing to suggest either by her previous feats, or presentation to suggest she can no sell his attacks. There shouldn't have been any need for her to even dodge his physical attacks whatsoever while she should have been more than capable of ripping his hand clear off if she was that strong. And yes, her aura is always there, but if you look near the end, right at his fingers before he takes the power stone, there is light coming through the gauntlet itself. Unless you're going to argue that Thanos' fingers were in the process of being ripped off, thus illustrating why light would be coming through the finger portion of his gauntlets, the only thing left is to believe she is closer to her comic-book counterpart(which wouldn't be surprising as she seems to be literally the only MCU character that is comparable to her comic book counterpart in terms of stats).

Seriously, what other instance in her career so far, that even remotely suggests she can ignore hits from someone who can overpower the Hulk? If you want to say it's an smvfl moment, or just outright inconsistency, then okay. But don't tell me there isn't a clear build up in power because again, she ignored his headbutts. He wouldn't have even gotten any advantage over her whatsoever otherwise if she was that strong by default. It would go down like the fight between Cavil Superman and Batfleck would have gone down if Batfleck didn't have any kryptonite.
    I cannot speak to Captain Marvel's larger narrative presentation because I haven't watched her film.

My analysis was based purely on the events in the clip referenced. I have, at length, pointed out why the proposed "progression of power" you are suggesting does not happen in the clip.

Just to address a couple of points raised here:

There shouldn't have been any need for her to even dodge his physical attacks whatsoever
    Carol does not know how strong Thanos is. Her dodging is not an indication that Thanos' punches would definitely have hurt her, she is avoiding potential damage to win the fight and get the gauntlet. This is standard fight logic.

she should have been more than capable of ripping his hand clear off if she was that strong.
    Winning a pushing contest easily =/= being capable of dismembering the opponent. I can win a test of strength against my housemate, I am not capable of tearing his hand off.

But don't tell me there isn't a clear build up in power because again, she ignored his headbutts.
    Headbutt. Singular. He hit her once. In fact, this kind of illustrates my issue with this sequence containing a progression of Carol. She only gets hit cleanly once and does not care. If she'd been hit another time it would be much easier to support this argument but, again, that isn't what happens.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 04-26-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Saying "why did she dodge then!?" as any sort of evidence is not logical.

The only thing she knows about Thanos is that he is regarded as the baddest dude in the galaxy and he beat up the Avengers. If you CAN avoid potential damage, you do. Especially if the threat is unknown.

It's like how Thor blocks energy blasts that should bounce off of him with Mjolnir. It's just the smart thing to do until you suss out your opponent.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I would also like to add that strength =/= durability. Carol is clearly tougher then she is strong.

Shes also only had like 15 minutes or so of screentime after unlocking full power so it would just be wrong to claim SMvFL on a feat at this point. She also easily stopped Ronans missile (which is better then Hulks whale feat).
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Her solo film was when she was just starting to discover her powers, a good 20 years back. And even then, she quickly got the hang of it and got an entire Kree fleet to retreat.

As of Endgame, she is now an expert and has had several off-screen power ups.

This, plus the creators explicitly designing her to be the most powerful hero in the MCU, and there is really nothing to contradict her overpowering Thanos at all.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 04-26-2020 at 01:02 PM.

I mean her being that strong is plainly evident.

The bigger question is, "why is Gamora."
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Winning a pushing contest easily =/= being capable of dismembering the opponent. I can win a test of strength against my housemate, I am not capable of tearing his hand off.
    That sounds like quitter talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I cannot speak to Captain Marvel's larger narrative presentation because I haven't watched her film.

My analysis was based purely on the events in the clip referenced. I have, at length, pointed out why the proposed "progression of power" you are suggesting does not happen in the clip.

Just to address a couple of points raised here:

Carol does not know how strong Thanos is. Her dodging is not an indication that Thanos' punches would definitely have hurt her, she is avoiding potential damage to win the fight and get the gauntlet. This is standard fight logic.
    Fair enough

But can you flat-out ignore him headbutting you?

Headbutt. Singular. He hit her once. In fact, this kind of illustrates my issue with this sequence containing a progression of Carol. She only gets hit cleanly once and does not care. If she'd been hit another time it would be much easier to support this argument but, again, that isn't what happens.
    She also nearly rips his fingers off near the end of their struggle. Other than energy absorbing, the only explanation for the glove beginning to tear behind his fingers while light was piercing through is that she was about to outright rip his fingers off. Has she showed anything to indicate that level of strength?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

I've now watched the gauntlet struggle on 1/4 speed, zoomed in and at 4k quality lol.

The gauntlet doesnt begin to tear or crease or break or anything. Light isn't stabbing /through/ the fingers, its washing over and and enveloping the hand in general. She is just dumping out large quantities of flowing glowy light.

Certainly he doesn't ACT like his fingers are partially mauled and in need of attention or anything, just to add to it.

And again, strength =/= durability. She is more durable then she is strong. She is hardly the first character to have variety in stats.
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

But can you flat-out ignore him headbutting you?
    *sigh*

No, but I don't have an energy field that augments my durability in proportion to my physical strength.

She also nearly rips his fingers off near the end of their struggle. Other than energy absorbing, the only explanation for the glove beginning to tear behind his fingers while light was piercing through is that she was about to outright rip his fingers off. Has she showed anything to indicate that level of strength?
    Arby disputes your interpretation of that for one thing. Please see his post above. I also would tend to agree given that Thanos had all his fingers in play throughout the rest of the film.

I would also reference you to this comment from my previous post which I will bold for emphasis:

My analysis was based purely on the events in the clip referenced.
    Let's pretend for a moment that she was tearing one of his fingers off, that doesn't actually seem to be the case but let's pretend it is; if it was. Then, yes... the indication that she was that strong was that she did it. Again, the issue with your interpretation isn't how strong or not strong Carol is. It is that you made the claim;

"At first in this sequence Carol struggled with Thanos and then easily overpowered him. This shows a progression of power,"

And I have pointed out;

"Carol doesn't really seem to struggle more or less during any part of this sequence. Her strength in relation to Thanos seems pretty consistent. The progression you are describing doesn't seem to exist,"
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 04-27-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I've now watched the gauntlet struggle on 1/4 speed, zoomed in and at 4k quality lol.

The gauntlet doesnt begin to tear or crease or break or anything. Light isn't stabbing /through/ the fingers, its washing over and and enveloping the hand in general. She is just dumping out large quantities of flowing glowy light.

Certainly he doesn't ACT like his fingers are partially mauled and in need of attention or anything, just to add to it.

And again, strength =/= durability. She is more durable then she is strong. She is hardly the first character to have variety in stats.
    One other thing I was thinking of is that, while there are super strength characters who are quite heavy like the Hulk, though their weight is not remotely in proportion to their strength even then, there are others that weigh no more than it looks like they weigh or not significantly more. As far as we know, CM probably weighs 125-130 lbs. Even if she weighs twice that much, it's irrelevant to someone like Thanos throwing her a few yards. Add that she was airborne to begin with not that it makes any difference. That's different than taking them on in a direct test of strength where the person is braced and you can't just ragdoll them because they have little weight. Cap dropping to a knee and then pushing her way up for example. At one point, she let's go with one arm and it's one arm against one arm with her pulling back to throw an energy blast. And he still can't just yank his arm free. He has to pull a gem from the glove with his other arm. At the very least, I think it was implied that their strength was equal and she clearly wins the durability contest. The Hulk wasn't at all no-selling anything against Thanos.

Also, as I said before, I noticed she always has that glow when using her powers. She had it before they even made contact.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Honestly, I'm mildly surprised that a gauntlet made from Earth-tech was *not* falling apart at the seams after channeling enough of the Infinity Stones' power to undo The Snap and fricassee the Hulk's arm with the backwash.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Honestly, I'm mildly surprised that a gauntlet made from Earth-tech was *not* falling apart at the seams after channeling enough of the Infinity Stones' power to undo The Snap and fricassee the Hulk's arm with the backwash.
    It's one of those "dont think too hard about it" kinda deals. :P
    - big_adventure

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

It's not Earth tech, it's Stark Magic. Not exactly the same thing. :-)
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Hulk backwash strongest backwash there is. Is why Hulk get own drink.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan