Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Superman: Man of Tomorrow #1 - DC Digital First Launched

https://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-expand...rom-dc-giants/

Robert Venditti & Paul Pelletier's first issue of the new Superman 100 Page Giant series just launched today kicking off DC's digital first line. I'm guessing they may work in some of Orlando's Superman 100 pagers and the two parter that kicked off the original Walmart book as those haven't been released digitally yet either.

It's a solid start to the series, nothing revolutionary, just a solid Superman story from a good team. They seem to be building a loose continuity in these based on the first two that were released at Walmart and comic shops. Be interesting to see if this continues as "digital first" beyond the two issues they have published already.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Only 1$ for 24 pages? Seems like a good deal, I may have to check it out. And by loose continuity, do you mean it references King's Walmart Superman title or something else?

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Read it, liked it and for 1 dollar its a steal.

The dialogue was bad though. Very cheesy but in a bad way especially the Parasite/Superman banter could be something out of a schumacher Superman movie.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Only 1$ for 24 pages? Seems like a good deal, I may have to check it out. And by loose continuity, do you mean it references King's Walmart Superman title or something else?
    Like the digital Adventures of Superman, the characters don't reference or correlate with the main DCU continuity. Rather they stand in the position the writer wants them too.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Meant that Venditti is keeping a loose continuity between the issues of his series. So it's a little different than something like Adventures of Superman which was just one shots basically.

Basically it’s an Elseworld. It only has continuity within itself and anything Venditti wants to do he can. Looking forward to reading this, been dying for more Superman content.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Here's the link btw

https://m.readdc.com/

Wanna check out Batman too
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The first issue is a lot of fun. A good old fashioned one and done story that features everything a Superman fan could want--heroics, humor, and heart with just enough real world resonance to push it over the top. The characterization by Venditti is spot-on and the art by Pulletier, Hennessy and Lucas is gorgeous, particularly the colors, which look amazing on a screen.

This is a great meat & potatoes Superman comic book, which is exactly what the world needs right now. I absolutely recommend this to everyone looking for a Superman fix right now to brighten their day.

If only there were some alternate Superman with his own distinctive pre-existing look and continuity that they could use to provide a clearer distinction between the regular line's Superman look and continuity and the new digital first comics....

Someone with his own niche...

You know, a more modernized slightly younger broodier edgier Superman, maybe with a high collar, Kryptonian body armor, and without trunks on the outside...

Maybe he could date Wonder Woman....

They could say he is from an alternate earth like all the ones from Crisis...

You know, just pulling a number out of my hat here, it could be Earth, I don't know, 52.

Man of Tomorrow would have been a great name for a book like that.

Nice to see Pelletier do Superman again.

I haven't read much from Venditti and it was really bizarre how the story was so old fashioned and how Perry was so sleazy. But it's a functional all ages story in the same way as Up in the Sky I'd guess.

Its targeted for casual readers who have a passing familiarity with Superman and see all the basic elements there. It’s closer to Batman Universe than Up in the Sky really. It’s being repurposed here as a digital first (this issue wasn’t digital first, it’s been out since January). They are all very basic, bread and butter type stories. I found the second issue to be a lot stronger and I think the dialogue evens out a bit and is less stereotypical "comic book."
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-21-2020 at 07:49 AM.

Batman Universe is in a different league, I definitely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Batman Universe is in a different league, I definitely recommend it.
    Yeah, it’s replaced a lot of Batman stories for my new go to on introducing someone to Batman in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Its targeted for casual readers who have a passing familiarity with Superman and see all the basic elements there. It’s closer to Batman Universe than Up in the Sky really. It’s being repurposed here as a digital first (this issue wasn’t digital first, it’s been out since January). They are all very basic, bread and butter type stories. I found the second issue to be a lot stronger and I think the dialogue evens out a bit and is less stereotypical "comic book."
    They're weekly aren't they, so they'll overtake the Giants after issue 1 or 2?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They're weekly aren't they, so they'll overtake the Giants after issue 1 or 2?
    They haven't addressed that yet. Giant #3 was supposed to be out by now I think, so it's likely they have 2 or 3 more issues they could drop weekly to keep it moving. They also have 4 issues from the initial Walmart 100 page Giants that haven't been released digitally yet that could fill in. Jimmy Palmoitti & Tom Derrick had two issues before King started, and Steve Orlando had a couple of fill ins for King as well.