Mighty Member

Default Conner vs Mon El

Hello,
    does someone remember in which issue of which series we had this fight?

It should be in one of the first series, because Superboy was wearing the leather jacket costume...
    I am interested in it, since it showed that Conner (even before being a Kryptonian) was able to fight against Mon-El and this fight was a draw.

Yeah, I got you fam!

It's Superboy volume 4 # 18 & 19!

Lar Gand, known as Valor at the time, is amesiac and manipulated into being the "Champion" of Rex Leech's creditor, Ira Gambolli, who engineers a fight between "Champion" and Superboy, to secretly film as an underground prize fight!

Lar Gand regains his memory, gets the severe lead poisoning typical of Daxamites, and gets sent into the "Stasis Zone" as a replacement for the Phantom Zone at the end! In Superboy # 21, the Legion brings Superboy into the future in order to help them rescue Valor. In Legion of Super-Heroes vol 4 # 74, Lar Gand comes to the future and becomes a quasi-regular in the Legion and Legionnaires titles, where it takes until Legionnaires # 37 to take the name M'onel!

Superboy does hold his own against M'on, but I feel like without the lead poisoning taking him down several notches, Superboy probably would not have done as well. Still, in the end, how many people go toe-to-toe with a Daxamite? Still pretty impressive on Kon's end!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Mighty Member

Yes especially that it was Kon El BEFORE becoming HALF-KRYPTONIAN...

He was also impressive against Aquaman,Tempest and Dolphin.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post

Yeah, I have to admit that when I reread that old Superboy material, I was caught off guard, because I had completely forgotten that Superboy was originally not half Kryptonian! I remembered that has wasn't originally half Luthor, but I had mis-remembered that he was half Kal-El, half Paul Westfield - rather than mostly Paul Westfield with a bunch of other stuff mixed in so he'd resemble and be able to fake being a Superman clone!

I guess it was just easier to make him a half-Superman clone, if as I suspect, a lot of fans thought that's what he was in the first place.

If the Kid had been Kryptonian, I suspect his match with Lar Gand would have been a lot more evenly matched!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post

He was until Aquaman decided to stop messing around and get serious. This was the era of "take no shit from anyone" Aquaman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    He was until Aquaman decided to stop messing around and get serious. This was the era of "take no shit from anyone" Aquaman
    NO...

As far as I remember Superboy was only wet afterwards...
    How did the fight end?
    Last edited by Masterff; 05-01-2020 at 02:40 AM.