Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Movies you still love that aren't often talked about anymore

You go to see a movie that becomes one of your all-time favorite films. But over time, it's hardly ever mentioned or talked about anymore - but you still love it.

For me:

Speed from 1994. Starring Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, and Dennis Hopper.

I remember being in the theater watching this in 1994. It was one of those movies where you felt you definitely got your money's worth and when it was over, I couldn't wait to tell everyone I knew to go see it. I felt like I lost 10 pounds watching that movie. It was intense but also so entertaining.

A week later, I took a photo to my stylist and told her I wanted the Keanu haircut. Yes, I kind of obsessed over the movie for several months.

To this day, I still would put Speed in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

A lot of my favorites never were talked about much even when they were new. Buf of those that were...

Being John Malkovich
    Boogie Nights
    Chaplin
    The Commitments
    Dark City
    Ed Wood
    Ghost World
    I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
    The Iron Giant
    Man On the Moon
    O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    Pleasantville

-Scott Pilgrim v. The World
    -Speed Racer (2008)

Both have kinda hit "cult classic" status but they're still not really talked about much.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

As I Buffy fan, I ran to the theaters to check SMG in Cruel Intentions. And that movie became one of my top guilty pleasures for a long time.

Retired

I watched CRUEL INTENTIONS not long ago. I liked it except for how it ends. In the story what's exciting is how amoral the characters are, but the ending imposes some moral conclusion on them, which feels tacked on. But then that's true of all adaptations of LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES--so it might be the ending devised by Pierre Choderlos de Laclos and I should really be faulting him and not the movies.

I very much liked ERIK THE VIKING when it came out. But the reactions from critics and audiences were negative. They didn't seem to know what to make of it. But that's what I like about the movie--it doesn't fit into one pigeon hole--it goes its own way. Directed by the late great Terry Jones of Monty Python fame and starring Tim Robbins.

And while I'm mentioning Pythons, it seems to me that not many people talk about THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN among all of Terry Gilliam's other movies. I really loved that movie, which stars John Neville and features many other great performances, including Uma Thurman in a double role.

Astonishing Member

Enemy Mine comes to mind.

The Matrix
    Starship Troopers
    Hellraiser
    Heavy Metal (1981)
    Sin City

The Princess Bride may be my favorite movie and one of the greatest.

Excalibur was wonderful and the only version of the Arthur story I've been able to sustain interest in (and I've tried, believe me). Almost every line is memorable and quotable.

I don't necessarily think these movies have been forgotten but it's human nature to be more immediately interested in something new, unless it's Star Wars, of course.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The Princess Bride may be my favorite movie and one of the greatest.
    My (slightly) younger D&D playing friends quote this movie as intolerably as my generation quoted Monty Python & the Holy Grail. I appreciate it for what it is, but am not as enamored of it.

Excalibur was wonderful and the only version of the Arthur story I've been able to sustain interest in (and I've tried, believe me). Almost every line is memorable and quotable.
    Gosh, every line from Merlin, in particular. That actor was amazing! "Remember, there's always something cleverer than yourself!" "A dream, to some. A nightmare, to others!"

Dark City and The Crow and The Rocketeer all hit various pulpy / gothy vibes for me, and are mostly forgotten these days. Probably my favorite movie of all, back in the day, was The Lost Boys. I saw it *six times* at the theater.

All the movies I like are still talked about. I know the right place to discus them.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Tremors (1990). I stumbled onto this movie by accident a year after it's theatrical run when I bought it on a whim at Suncoast Video Company (remember that chain?) because I love a good monster movie, and it was awesome. It had a perfect mix of chills, action, horror and comedy combined in a one hell of a thrill ride that hooked me from jump street and never let go.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member

Mann’s Manhunter. Far superior to Red Dragon and still one of the best movies of all time, IMO
    Excalibur, My favorite movie version of the Arthurian mythos
    The Quiet Earth, Low budget but still moving
    Firefox, one of my fave non Western Eastwood movies
    Scandal, great retelling of the Profumo affair and a great look at British tabloid culture
    Volunteers. Hard to believe now Tom Hanks used to star in goofy comedies. But this is my favorite
    Open Range. A heckuva straight up Western with terrific acting

Retired

I discovered ABOUT TIME well after it came out in theatres. Seems to me I never see anyone discussing that movie. I gather it was overlooked at the time because of THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE. As soon as I had watched ABOUT TIME, I watched it again. And I've watched it many times over, sharing it with family and friends. I love it to bits.

Excalibur is a really excellent version of the Arthur legend, especially visually. I defy one to come up with better screen version.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Tremors (1990). I stumbled onto this movie by accident a year after it's theatrical run when I bought it on a whim at Suncoast Video Company (remember that chain?) because I love a good monster movie, and it was awesome. It had a perfect mix of chills, action, horror and comedy combined in a one hell of a thrill ride that hooked me from jump street and never let go.
    Tremors
    Prestige by C.Nolan
    LA Confidential
    Zodiac
    Warlock starring Julian Sands
    No Country for Old Men
    The Crow
    Almost Famous
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-26-2020 at 09:43 AM.