Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

That's a tough question. Aren't often talked about is a phrase that really depends in the company you're talking about. For example, on TrueFilm on reddit a lot of people are talking about Jacques Tati's PlayTime, but I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned here. Whereas here, people are probably far more likely to talk about a movie like Scott Pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    My (slightly) younger D&D playing friends quote this movie as intolerably as my generation quoted Monty Python & the Holy Grail. I appreciate it for what it is, but am not as enamored of it.
    INCONCEIVABLE! [Sorry. I had to].

Gosh, every line from Merlin, in particular. That actor was amazing! "Remember, there's always something cleverer than yourself!" "A dream, to some. A nightmare, to others!"
    "For it is the doom of men that they forget".

Uther: "But the moat? The rocks?"

Merlin: "Your lust will hold you up".

Morgana: "Perhaps you ache for that which you have never known."

Merlin: "Perhaps you lust for that which you cannot have".

What is the greatest quality of knighthood. "Truth- above all else. When a man lies, he murders some part of the world."

And on and on. By the way, his name was Nicole Williamson which sounds like a woman's name but, yes, great actor and played wonderfully against Helen Mirren as Morgana. Incidentally, in a commentary, director John Boorman said he suspected they had previously had a relationship that ended badly because Mirren said she could not work with Williamson for personal reasons and he said the same about her so Boorman convinced them both to use that animosity in their characters since Morgana and Merlin were supposed to be enemies and he convinced them both to do the movie.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    The Matrix
    Starship Troopers
    Hellraiser
    Heavy Metal (1981)
    Sin City
    i woukdn'y say matrix and helraiser isn't talked of anymore since keanu has agreed on a new matrix movie and helraiser reboot finally got a writer/directorjust just earlier this month

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Dragonslayer, a fantasy flick from the early 1980's. I thought it was awesome.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-22-2020 at 06:23 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Gattaca.

Love that darn movie.

I really liked AI Artificial Intelligence. At the time, it had pretty positive reviews. The Spielberg/Kubrick collaboration hit all the right notes for me, with a surface that was pretty and very Spielberg-esque but a dark undertow that was purely Kubrick.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    You go to see a movie that becomes one of your all-time favorite films. But over time, it's hardly ever mentioned or talked about anymore - but you still love it.

For me:

Speed from 1994. Starring Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, and Dennis Hopper.

I remember being in the theater watching this in 1994. It was one of those movies where you felt you definitely got your money's worth and when it was over, I couldn't wait to tell everyone I knew to go see it. I felt like I lost 10 pounds watching that movie. It was intense but also so entertaining.

A week later, I took a photo to my stylist and told her I wanted the Keanu haircut. Yes, I kind of obsessed over the movie for several months.

To this day, I still would put Speed in my top 10 favorite movies of all time.
    Dude, I totally get what you're saying. I almost wore out my VCR watching it over and over again in my apartment. Also, along with SPEED (1994), another movie that isn't talked about very often would be Lake House (2006). Both are my favorite non-animated movies of all time.

Ultimate Member

Let's see:

Yellowbeard-The Monty Python guys and Cheech and Chong made a movie together, about pirates and they're all in it, incredibly stupid but also incredibly funny
    Spaced Invaders-Not so well known space movie about a group of Martians that land on Earth after getting lost and hearing a radio version of War of The Worlds, a fun light comedy
    Erik The Viking-Another fun silly movie not to be taken to seriously
    TMNT 1-The old movie from the 90's, not the cgi stuff but the guys in suits one, I can still remember a rather large amount of the dialogue from that movie
    The Last Starfighter-Fun space movie about a guy that gets recruited by an intergalactic space force after proving his worth playing on an old arcade game
    Big Trouble In Little China-Always loved this movie...

More to come later on...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Dude, I totally get what you're saying. I almost wore out my VCR watching it over and over again in my apartment. Also, along with SPEED (1994), another movie that isn't talked about very often would be Lake House (2006). Both are my favorite non-animated movies of all time.
    I'll have to check out Lake House. Never seen it even though I liked the chemistry between Keanu and Sandra.

But yeah, Speed was amazing. They should've never made the sequel without Keanu. I never saw it but I heard it was awful.

Poltergeist trilogy. Could have had more films but unfortunately tragedy struck.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Great thread idea. I love Speed. I will find any excuse to watch that movie.

For me: Collateral. I feel like this movie is such an underrated gem. Jamie Foxx and Tom Cruise are both amazing in this movie. Jamie Foxx is always so cool in most of his movies that you really appreciate the everyman type of role he plays. Tom Cruise is just badass. I haven't seen Last of the Mohicans, so I can't say with certainty, but I feel Collateral is the best Michael Mann movie.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Tremors (1990). I stumbled onto this movie by accident a year after it's theatrical run when I bought it on a whim at Suncoast Video Company (remember that chain?) because I love a good monster movie, and it was awesome. It had a perfect mix of chills, action, horror and comedy combined in a one hell of a thrill ride that hooked me from jump street and never let go.
    I love Tremors. So frikkin' good.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I really liked AI Artificial Intelligence. At the time, it had pretty positive reviews. The Spielberg/Kubrick collaboration hit all the right notes for me, with a surface that was pretty and very Spielberg-esque but a dark undertow that was purely Kubrick.
    I loved how the humans and robot characters were polar opposites in how much 'humanity' they portrayed, with the humans more or less going through the motions in some zombie-like reactive state (with even the angry or violent or passionate ones seeming like caricatures), with the two main robots being the ones who displayed fear or wonder or any of that inner life.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Tremors isn't forgotten... check youtube. There's a following, a tribe of fans.
    Big Trouble in Little China has a line of recent comics out, also Carpenter movies are still huge

Heat: Kilmer,Pacino,DeNiro (which Nolan listed as one of his influences on Dark Knight)

Extraordinary Member

Bloodsport from the late 80s was a favorite of mine. Looking back, it's got it's clichés, but being in my 20s, I loved it - and still do. It was my introduction to Jean Claude Van Damme. I saw a lot of his movies in the 90s - some good, most were bad. But he was great for what he did.

Showdown In Little Tokoyo from the early 90s is another "fight" movie I loved. It had Dolph Lundgren still in his prime (and in incredible shape) plus the late Brandon Lee of The Crow fame.

I still enjoy watching both of those films, if only for nostalgia.